How old were you when you had your first child?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by feministhippy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

Looking back at the above post the wording is clumsy but the story true.

2. sarah.folan

sarah.folan Guest

3. luvnsurf

luvnsurf Member

I was 27 and 31 with my boys. I love them. I wish I waited only in the aspect that I divorced their Dad (my decision) after 11 years of marriage. I was 22 when I met him and 24 when I got married. I don't regret having my kids at that age. I regret settling down right away after college.

4. irishbohemian

irishbohemian Member

18 and still at school, definite case of oops! Had my second 4 and a half years later, although this wasn't what was planned things couldn't have turned out better and I wouldn't change anything for the world, even the shitty things after all you need to have known the bad times to appreciate the good.
    My partner and I now feel the time is right for own child and if you read my post in the lesbian forums it looks like the turkey baster option. It's a bit of a contradiction in that I always saw the advantage of having kids young like I did was still being young enough to party hard and the rest when they've grown up but here I am at 30 wanting another! I don't care though, I've come this far in life when the odds have been stacked against me, done my degree before the hike in tuition fees kicks in and I'm now in a solid relationship with someone who also has children who treat my two like their own sisters so the family support network is already there

5. moonmamasgalaxy

moonmamasgalaxy Member

18, and yes I was far too young. If I could go back I'd have done it 10 years later. Not that I'd change my (now not so little) man for the world. I went on to have 4 more! But I do feel I've missed out on so much, and all because I felt I just *should* have kids. Wait it out girls.

6. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Member

22. Perfect timing, terrible circumstances.

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had my kids at 22 and 25. I'm sure glad I wasn't any older because when I was 46 and a half years old my triplet granddaughters were born to my son and his wife. Nine months later my daughter had a son. My husband and I have been taking care of this 4 children for the past 4-5 years so their parents could work. There's no way I could be a minute older than I was and have handled 4 grandbabies all at once, lol!

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  8. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

i wish there was poll here so we could see immediate statistics..

9. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I was 19. Oops..but now he's 9 ( almost 10 ) and I'm 29. I think this is perfect. I'd have another though...

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was 41, my wife was 40. Turned out great.

It was wonderful being a teenager for 28 years!

11. serena3

serena3 Member

a week after I turned eighteen. I wouldn't change a thing.

12. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I don't have kids yet, but certainly hope to start having them before I'm 30. Hopefully I'll have my first by 25-27.

13. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

18, had been 18 for 2-3 weeks :)
    love it :D

14. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

So, no one was older than me (41)?

15. TheMistress

TheMistress Senior Member

ill be 26 when my 1st child is born

16. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

I meant to rate this UP ^^^^ but the darn thing clicked DOWN!

17. FlipFish

FlipFish Member

I was 24 with DS#1, 26 with DS#2 and 29 with DS#3.

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

While I am a believer in blessing your sweet mistakes, and know the person my son is wuld be radically different in different situations, my advice is to wait until late 20s if you can.
    I also advocate child free.

I was able to be a youngish mama because I had not yet gotten into a career. Heck, I attended college while he was in preschool and elementary!
    I was not a heavy hitter earner for my first marriage, so staying home made economic sense as I didn't make much more than daycare would cost.

19. MINXVISHOUS2012

MINXVISHOUS2012 Member

I have no brats ;) But i raised my younger siblings and two cousins when i was 14, and i don't mean baby sit then they go home, i mean they lived with me and my nana. She was old and was sick so i saw to the brats lol Love them to bits, well any child makes me a softy damit lol i can't wait to have my own children, when ever that happens hahahaha

20. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

24 when I had little bud. :)