How old were you when you had your first child?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by feministhippy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to imply that. I don't want to upset anyone!

Everyone is different. Feministhippy, if you think you'll be ready to have kids in your twenties, then go for it!! You don't have to wait until you're 35 just because "people" think it's best!

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I was 24 when my first baby was born. I was almost 38 when my last baby was born.

I had more energy when I had babies in my 20s. But I have more experience and a LOT more patience with the baby I had in my late 30s.

3. Brighid

Brighid Member

I was 16

4. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

just turned 18

5. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I was 24 when my first was born, 26 when my second was.

My fiance was 40 when our youngest was born; funny, because his mom was 39 when she had him.

6. enigma_rising

enigma_rising Member

i was 19 when i fell pregnant, 20 when i had him. i allways wanted kids young, but only with the right person, i guess i never thought i'd find their daddy so soon though, im really lucky to have found him, he is a brilliant dad and a wonderful man. :))))

7. torz

torz Member

i'm glad i came into this thread, in the womens issues i posted a thread about wanting a child. i will be 21 in march & i'm really broody for a baby, i've felt broody on & off since i was 18, my body said yes & my head said no, i just never felt ready mentally, i was told that most young girls crave & get broody for babys in there late teens early 20's because the body had matured & is at the right age. now i feel ready & all i can think about is babys.

i have always said i wanted children young, since i was 10 & my eldist sister had her first child i have always been in a motherly role, i looked after them (my two nephews) from being 13 everyother weekend so my sister could go out. i loved every muinit of it, i often look after my friends kids, rebecca has 3 kids, two girls & a boy all aged 6 & under.

i dont really have any careea ambitions, my job is really boring & mundane & have no asperations to go to college. there is one thing job wise i want to do & that child minding but said i would only child mind after i had my own children.

i have a BF of 4 years, we have a really close relationship, we have argument (but what couple dosent), but we always sit & talk about it & sort it out in the end. we are quite financially secure.

what do you all think, to all those who had children young, did you regrete it, if you could go back would you wait a bit longer? to those mums who have had children both young & later in life, what would you say were the pros & cons of having children young & children later on?

8. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I wish I could have WAITED! I love my childern and if given the option to go back I wouldn't change it because I now can't imagine life without them. I can't help though to think of all that I did not experiance, the things I should without having responsibilities to worry about my childern. I will never have a normal college experiance, not that I really want to but it is just the little things you notice sometimes. Wow, that sounds bad... I don't know how to explain it. It doesn't sound right there. I guess what I mean is I wish I had a chance to set my life straight before hand so I could have been better prepared for all the things in life they need. My adivce is to follow your own thoughts not someone elses because in the end you are the only one who knows whats best for you. It sounds like your set for a child, your the only one who knows for sure. Then again, when I had my kids I was still in school, never had job experiance and had no idea how to do anything for myself so thats probably why my situation is different. Good luck.

9. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I was 20 when my daughter was born. I totally understand what earthy mama is saying about getting your life straight and being prepared. I wouldn't change anything, either, but it would have been a lot easier had I been better prepared for parenthood. But now, at 27 I feel very well prepared and would love to have another baby.

10. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

yer gonna have to do a lot more than type posts here to upset me! lol!!

as a twenty something mom and late thirties mom, i guess i would have to say that i wouldn't give up my first two boys for anything. i wish my situation would have been different, but not the children. and there is a lot to be said for being young, my first two are only 23 months apart, so one was fully mobile while i was pregnant for my second. thank god that i was young for that!!!

but being an 'older' mom now, i'm really enjoying it more i think. i'm not as worried about everything this time around. i know he'll eat and sleep and talk and walk in his own good time, i can accept his schedule - i feel more in tune with his rhythms. i don't feel left out because i'm missing out on the parties and concerts all my friends are going to - i'm way more content, knowing that he'll only be a sweet little baby for such a short time - i'm relishing every moment with him. and, i know the first time i give him some hi-c i won't rush him to the emergency room thinking he has internal bleeding because his pee is red!:D

11. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

12. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

and a good daddy at that

13. ivysmama

ivysmama Member

I was three months pregnant when I turned 22. I felt too young; I tried to pretend it wasn't happening to me. I graduated from college that May and had Ivy on July 22. Now, I can't believe I waited so long to have her. I agree whole-heartedly that age doesn't matter; however, in a genetics class I did learn that you're statistically more likely to have kids with genetic disorders after the age of 35 (for females). But, as far as enjoying your kids and being a fun, involved mamma, your state of mind is far more important than your age!!

14. vanilla_faerie

vanilla_faerie Member

I feel the same way! Me and my boyfriend (of three years) just moved away and got our own apartment. (I'm 16, he's 20... btw) I've been watching kids A LOT since I was 13 or younger and every time, whether the child was giggling or throwing up, I've just felt this strong need to have my own child. I pratically beg people to let me sit for their kids, even if it's totally for free. I just moved and am looking for a new job, I'm really hoping to get a job doing something with kids so that maybe I can focus on that for now. Being 16 though, it's hard to convince the people at McDonald's to hire you, let alone convincing someone you can take care of their children!

We just moved and things are crazy, but I keep thinking about the future. We plan on leaving the city in a year and finding a nice community to live on. The way things are now though, we could change our mind at any second, he could go back to college and I could get my GED so I could start college... who knows. I'd really like to have a baby in the next year or two (providing we stick to our career plans) and I think he would too. Sometimes I just feel like a nut for wanting a baby and being so young. My circumstances are special though, but still.... Are there any people out there who had their kids while under twenty on purpose? How many of you actually think it's a good idea for someone so young to try for a baby?

15. StarFaerie

StarFaerie Member

I was 22 when I had my marshmallow puffy (had just turned 22 a month before) He was actually a surprise baby, but I don't feel like I was too young. Besides the younger you have them the younger you'll be when the nest in empty again :) I think only an individual can decide when to have a baby, I would say to be positive about your partner, you know make sure you guys are on the same page and all

16. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

I was 22 when I had my first Son. 25 when Son # 2 came along. 44 when my Daughter came along.

I was always an still am on the playground with my kids. If the place is full I sit aside so I'm not clgging things up for the kids but if we are alone or there are not many kids around I'm there climbing, swinging, sliding. As long as I can I intend to do this. It's great fun.

17. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I'm 30 and I want to have a baby now. My husband seems to think we should wait at least a few months until we know where we are. He's got a really good job but is in the process of switching and I'm about to finish massage school. Sometimes I think we should wait till we have more money, own or own house, the perfect situation, etc. yet I know people that have children in less fortunate situations and still make it work. My 40 something mama friend told me the other day to not wait for the perfect time because there never will be one. All I know is that my I'm definately emotionally, physically, and mentally ready.

Anyway I've enjoyed reading this thread and getting all the different insight.

18. WildChild12843

WildChild12843 Member

My mother was 28 when she gave birth, and my father was 38. My dad just died in October of a stroke, and my mom is now 42. I'm 14, and I wish my parents had been younger when they had me. I want to be around 19 or 20 I think. But everyone feels ready at a different time, so I think you should wait for that. Whether your 18 or 35, you should be ready.

19. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

I was 16 when I had my first

20. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

My son was born 6 weeks after my 20th birthday. I was 24 1/2 when my daughter was born.

Since my in-laws are currently in their 70's, my kids may never have known their grandparents if we had waited 'til now to start having our family. And there is something rather settling about knowing that when my baby turns 21 I will only be 45... still young enough to do whatever I might want :)
    love,
    mom