How often do you write?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Gypsy_girl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. cosmicbrat

cosmicbrat Member

Four hours per day.... and whenever I feel like writing..

2. Cougar

Cougar Member

I try to keep a daily journal, but I'm not that good at it. I have two novels, a play and a comic book in the works. I work on them sporadically. I write essays, observations, letters, poems, reviews-anything, almost everyday. My mom and brother got sick of my lenghty, verbose e-mails, so I had to quit that. I write, something, everyday. I used to be on another internet forum, but the people there gave me a hard time when I offered up one of my essays for their reading pleasure. They also criticized me for being crass, though I tried my best to maintain etiquette. I left those boards, and I hope to find a similar outlet, here.

3. Wanttobenude-Keith

Wanttobenude-Keith Member

Well, I write whenever I'm inspired though that's not to say that I don't try to write every day, I write whenever I get a chance and have an idea that can sucessfully make it from head to (whatever I'm using atm).

4. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

I write everyday as a newspaper journalist so I can barely pay my bills. Then I write in my livejournal when I get home to wind down. I typically write at the very least two 500 - 700 word news stories and feature stories every day. Newspaper is a great writers boot camp. I have to produce every day whether I feel inspired or not. This actually helps generate more inspiration for me to write more.

5. rebbie

rebbie Guest

i write everyday. even if its just for 10 minutes i read through something and add bits and make adjustments. i am always thinking about my writing so theres always amendments to make.

6. EXAchilles

EXAchilles Member

I try to write a page a day at least if I have a project I'm working on, but whenever the mood strikes me I take out my pen.

7. Venatrix

Venatrix Member

I try to write every day, but I don't force it too much if I just truly have nothing to say and no inspiration. As of late that's been no problem.

8. missedit

missedit Member

I write almost everyday however, usually I just write bits and pieces of poems and songs, I only work on my books (how ever lame they may be) every once in a while when the mood is right.

9. Quig

Quig Member

I generally write six days a week. On weekdays I write at least an hour and a half to 2 hours before work. Occasionally, if I'm busting my ass on a rewrite, I'll write after work as well. Also, I try to produce three or four good articles for my website a week, so I have to write every day to keep up.

I recently had to rewrite a large portion of my novel for a publisher. That combined with the website duties had me on the verge of suicide for two weeks. If I didn't have a rigid writing routine, I would have probably screwed everything up.

I know all writers are different, but I honestly can't see how some can write without a strong routine. I guess it's a personality thing, "whatever floats your boat" so to speak.

I try to write everyday, but usually on Saturday or Sunday I'll be so tired from work that I'll end up vegging out instead of actually writing.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've never written at all except some little stories on HF,but I see that to be a writer--you actually have to write!I'm kind of getting interested in writing and you-all are inspirational.

11. Abra Cadaver

Abra Cadaver Member

It varies for me. Sometimes I go through cycles where all I do is write because I have so many ideas and I need to get them all outta my head before they start dribbling outta my ears. Other times I get so preoccupied with other things that writing is the furthest thing from my mind.

12. Surrealistic starship

Surrealistic starship Member

I write when im in the mood, so sometimes i wouldnt for a month but the month after i would write everyday

13. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

I try to write everyday. I carry a notebook so i can write down everything I think of right there and I won't forget it. I wouldn't want a great, life-changing, world-changing, mind blowing idea to float away forever!

14. rkirk

rkirk Member

I only write when the mood takes me; it so happens that the mood takes me constantly so I find myself writing everyday, even if it's crap or only a few paragraphs of description, imagery, or attempts at real insight.

Sometimes, I carry a notebook. Sometimes, I write madly on paper scraps or napkins or whatever is handy. Eventually, it all finds itself on my computer and I am sure to make backups so that I don't have to worry about losing my entire body of work if my computer decides to explode, melt into a puddle of plastic, or otherwise fall off the face of the Earth.

15. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

It varies. I'm working on a novel, I used to work on it every day. Lately, things have been insanely busy so I haven't really have time to sit down and work on it.

16. MaryGert

MaryGert Member

Me too! Unfortunately, I wish I could write better and more often when I am happy:) Obviously I would rather be happy and I am so I'm not writing much in the past couple of months. How do you try to get over this? Does anything work for you. Do you write from mostly experience?

Just curious, happy writing to you!

17. ci0616

ci0616 Banned

yeah i think i write better when i'm down too... but i've written plenty of good stuff when i'm in a good mood.

You just have to look at the world from the eyes of a newborn. Everything in this world has a story too it, and (as cliche as this is going to sound) the people you meet can make the best characters.

18. CrazyDreamer

CrazyDreamer Member

I sit down to write or to read over what I have already written every couple of days or so. When I am not writing, hoever, I find myself daydreaming about my characters or something will suddenly come to mind that I want to add to my story. The characters that I create become so real to me in terms of their personality that I might see of hear something and it will remind me of a character or help me to work through a plot twist even though I might not sit down to write it out for a week or so.