How often do you write?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Gypsy_girl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Gypsy_girl

Gypsy_girl Member

Hi,
    I am just wondering how often you work on your writing; every day, every few days, etc? Just curious!

Peace!
    :)

2. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

varies considerably for me. About a year ago I started writing again after only writing probably 10 or so poems over 3 years. Since then I've been writing quite a bit; multiple times a week (usually for hours at a time). I'll take a week or so off every so often.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Whenever I'm inspired, which is currently every day. Of course I'm not at uni right now, so that will probably tail off with time constraints and work.

4. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i try to write everyday, unless i'm sick or something (like today). i don't wait for inspiration to strike. even if i don't get anything usable, at least i keep in practice. besides, if i was a pro, i wouldn't be able to afford to wait for inspiration. for them its a job; they have deadlines and contracts and editors to contend with and have to sit down at the computer & write whether they feel inspired or not. so because i am seriously interested in getting published someday, i write every day. writing is something like sketching or painting or playing a sport; it is askill that needs to be practiced, and if you stop, tour skills will atrophy.

5. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

I try to write whenever I have an idea. In fact I'm writing a story right now. I try to put up some stuff on www.writing.com, whenever I feel like I have a good piece so I can get honest reviews from other people. Helpful and useful site.

6. gesone

gesone Member

I write when inspiration strikes or when I have time. One thing I refrain from is forcing my writing, if I see it's not coming out the way I want it then I'll stop and continue another day. As for my recent writing escapades, I've been in a serious two month drought. Hopefully this month will bring some promise.

Peace...

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

For poems, sometimes I can write like 4 in a day, then nothing for weeks.
    For my novel, same thing. I'll write pages one day and nothing hits me for a week or two. Sometimes I do a page a day for a week, it all depends when I think of new ideas.

8. peaceband_chick

peaceband_chick Member

Usually I only write when I am really depressed and feeling down. Putting all of that on paper makes me feel much better. Just gets it all out.

9. Gypsy_girl

Gypsy_girl Member

Hey :) thank you all so much for your replies! Greatly appreciated. I'm starting to write more now, I'm in the planning stage now, and that's another thing, do y ay of you plan your stories in written form or just in your mind? Just curious! :) Thanks for answering all these questions :)

Peace.

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I don't write enough, I want to start writing more

11. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

whenever i get an idea for a line of a song/or poem i just write it down on paper so i won't forget it. and i can build on it, from there.

and when playing guitar, an idea will just come to me when i'm just sitting there fuckin around and i'll just keep playing it and playing it and if i like it, i'll record it so i don't forget it. that's basically how i write. i find it works best, not to force it, just let it come.

12. winston Smiths Diary

winston Smiths Diary Member

every day! its good for the brain!

13. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i'll go months without writing anything... and then for 3 days i will write like a mad-woman. i have to be inspired :)

14. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I almost never have the time to write anymore. I am always too worn down to put pen to paper these days. Unfortunately there is just no getting around real life.

15. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I don't write often enough, but I like to write about every travel experience.

16. redie*

redie* Member

almost everyday. try to keep up with my brain. or my brain has died. ;)

17. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I usually write everyday even if it's just a sort of confessional of emotions, I write poetry almost everyday now, I don't write fiction and nonfiction as much as I used to I just write down ideas I have and want to get back to, drama even less than that, although normally when I write plays I end up finishing them pretty quickly and spending a lot of consistent time on them. With fiction and nonfiction I sort of drift off and find it again.

18. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

always; ever day

19. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I can't force myself to write. So I can't write regularly; either I'll be throwing myself at my writing or I'll be doing something else and won't be able to touch it. Lately I've not done a great deal on it at all. But when I'm on form I'll be jotting down ideas all the time I'm not actually engaged in writing.

20. lacuna

lacuna Member

I find it difficult to write during the week. My mind becomes limited by work and all the corporate crap, my sense of value and what is important becoming skewed. So now I make it a habit to take some whizz on a friday night, read some Eric Fromm to remember that the things that are important in life are not what the TV tells you, and then dance my fingers across the keyboard until light starts coming through the window. There is something wonderful to be awake at 4 in the morning and be alert and focused - the world is yours and nothing outside matters....