How much of an odor would this make?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by chewbaccula, Nov 11, 2006.

1. chewbaccula

chewbaccula Member

Alright, If I were to use just 3 basic seeds, and grew them in a small area (cupboard sized), and kept the area contained, over the next few months, how much odor would this create?

Is there any recommendations on how to reduce/eliminate the odor? I'm new to growing, and this will be my first attempt. I want to make this as discrete as possible, and want to make sure none of my fellow family members notice. Thanks.

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

post in growing techniques not legal security issues

3. chewbaccula

chewbaccula Member

Sorry about that, just forgot what section I was in at the time.

4. Sezzy

Sezzy Member

Actually, this seems like a very reasonable section for this question. It's concerning the security of his growing situation. Preventing odor definitely aids in preventing legal intervention. I, in fact, came to this section looking for a thread like this, it seemed like the most logical place.

5. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Hey Chewie!

The main issue here is air circulation - you need plenty of it!! Your plants will need a dependable supply of fresh air to "breath" so they can extract all of the CO2 that they need. The exhaust air (the air being removed from the grow cabinet) is the area of concern for odor control. Some strains smell stronger than others (why do you think they call it Skunk?) - but three, or even one, plant(s) will be obvious to anybody in the house at one time or another.
    If you want a stealth grow that nobody in the house will smell, you have three options:
    1. A well designed, forced air, set-up that consists of Carbon Scrubbers and/or some kind of electronic device such as a negotive ion generator or an ozone generator.
    2. Venting your exhaust air directly outside and up to roof level may work.
    3. Forget about it.
    There are lots of plans and instructions on how to construct your own carbon scrubbers (or you can buy one ready made). A carbon scrubber, by itself, pobably wont elimenate the odor; but by adding an electronic device your room should be reasonably safe - if it's all done right!!! Do some research!!!
    All that being said; I believe that it is possible for someone with a "good nose" to smell it anyway. Remember that people who who don't smoke have a much keener sense of smell than those of us who do!!

6. chewbaccula

chewbaccula Member

Thanks guys. That's really good advice T.H. Cammo, I'm still deciding on growing indoors. I just want to take every precaution I can, so I'm in the process of contemplating whether or not I should just wait a few more months and attempt to grow outdoors, since it seems that growing outdoors might be easier, and slightly less of a hassle.