How Much Did Your Pet Cost?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by maryjanegirl_2005, Apr 27, 2007.

1. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

Not a penny. They were saved. Please stop buying bred pets. Breeders (along with people wanting certain breeds and willing to pay a lot for them) are a huge part of the problem in the pet overpopulation causing millions to be killed yearly in shelters. The other, dumbasses that don't spay/neuter, or drop their pets off because they are tired of them costing money.

2. dusk

dusk Member

So if we all buy rescue animals, what will happen to all the other breeds, will they get put down instead, because there not wanted .
    So how are people who pay more for there animals a huge part of the problem.
    The people who pay more for there animals are the people that love and dont discard there animals when they are bored with them, infact if a higher price was put upon all animals,people would be less likley to dump or abandon them, because no one likes to chuck away money.

3. brainstew

brainstew Member

4. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

People who buy "their" pets from breeders are a big part of the problem, they make sure that breeders stay in business. It's simple economics, supply and demand. If people would stop demanding certain breeds, then breeders would quit supplying them. If people stopped buying pure bred animals, the breeders would take them (their last bred animals for profit) to a shelter (or they would eventually end up in a shelter) and they would have a chance to be adopted like the rest of the animals. People would only adopt from shelters and save millions of animals that are put down yearly. So, because I adopted my pets I'm much more likely to drop them off on the side of the road? Just because people pay a lot for certain breeds does not mean they will neglect or drop off their pet. People like that exist, whether rich or poor. I volunteer at the local shelter and have seen many pure bred pets there.

5. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i have a cat that lives with me. we've been roommates for about 9 years now. i dont buy my friends.... $0...

6. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

my pure bred tonkenese cat cost 250 $

and my American short hair cat cost nothing she was found at a construction site 4 weeks old 15 ozs and my brother in law wanted to get rid of her (hes not the type to keep animals, so i told him, your not disappointing your children, i'll take her in). So shes my fat cat. :)

Lil Bopeep the show cat is 4-5 lbs
    and Seanna is 11 lbs

7. dusk

dusk Member

And why should,nt breeders stay in buisness, there not the problem, the problem are these irrisponsible people who buy animalls and decide they dont want them any more,there the problem no one else and if the breeders decided to take there animalls to the shelters like you said, all this would do is put more animals at risk of being destroyed.
    so explane to me, how people who pay large amounts for there animals are to blame, for the over flow and destruction of animals in shelters,also a friend of mine works in a shelter , and i no there are very few pure breeds compared to cross breeds and why is this, simply because people are less likly to spend $1000 on lets say a dog and then dump it on a side of a road.
    so basicly your answer is to put all animals in shelters, so they can be adopted, that would be a bigger ploblem than there already is.
    So who,s a big part of the problem for all these unwanted animals,is it the buyers of expencive animals and the breeders of these animals,get reall, like i said the problem,are these people who dump these amimals and no one else.
    So left up to you all pure breed amimals would be wiped from the earth, leaving people with no other option than to get there animal from a rescue centre. thats your answer to the problem of unwanted animals is it, stop breeding pure breeds

8. loveyouto

loveyouto Member

I said in my previous post that people who neglect animals will always exist, within both rich and poor classes. You seem to hint that pure bred animals are better. So mixed breeds don't deserve to be adopted? You're more concerned with keeping pure breds alive, than with helping to solve the problem. If breeders stopped breeding animals and people started adopting animals in shelters (rather than having their animals made for profit, which makes the pet population larger), there is no way the problem would be worse than it already is. People will always neglect, whether in a rich or poor class, whether they adopted or payed a lot of money for a pet. The least we can do is look at the problem in a progressive way! That is all I'm going to say.

9. dusk

dusk Member

Think about wot you said.
    IF people stop breeding animals , then eventualy that breed of animal will be wiped off the planet, and in no way did i hint pure bred animals are better.
    All breeds deserve to be adopted , thats my point, wether u paid a $1 or $1000, wots the diferance, as long as the animal is loved.
    Your the one that made the point that pure bred animals should stop being bred so we can all get are animals from the rescue centre, if we all got our animals from the rescue shelters, wot would we do with massive amount of animals from breeders.
    you talk about being progressive, so is it progressive to blame some one like me, for the current problems facing homeless or unwanted animals, because i chose to pay a $1000 for a dog, instead of a $0 from a rescue centre , try putting the blame where the blame is due ,on the scum that abandon these animals, and on the govermants that continue to allow these people to do this with little or no action taken against them.
    o and one more thing my last 2 dogs were rescue animals, and before u ask they died of old age.

10. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

Amen!
    I agree wholeheartedly.

11. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

The problem isn't purebred dogs alone - they say 25% of shelter dogs are purebred; they need homes too. The problem is that there is a demand for purebred puppies. People create a demand for puppy breeders, creating more puppies while millions upon millions of dogs, purebred and mixed alike, get put down every year. There is not anything inherently wrong with dog breeding. The ethical problem arises because when someone chooses a breeder puppy over a dog that is going to be killed if it is not adopted.

A breeder or purebred puppy buyer could argue that since they are responsible owners, those dogs aren't their problem. Ok. With that logic, I could also argue that since I did not vote for Bush or enlist in the army, the Iraq war is not an ethical problem affecting me. Things don't just happen, they are allowed to happen. No man's an island. Just because you didn't cause the problem doesn't mean that it isn't your problem.

12. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

My dog Angel was free.

Peace and love

13. dusk

dusk Member

So if we all , and i meen all ,go to the shelter, wot will happen to all the pure breds.
    You like love2you are missing the bigger picture, if you read love2you first or 2nd post, his answer to the unwanted animal problem is for breeders 2 stop breeding , so we can all go to the shelters for our animals, sounds good i no. theres one big flaw in that. if breeders stop breeding, this can only lead to the eventuall demise of that breed, and i am sure no one wants this, , my point being if (every one )got there animals from shelters, then wot would happen to all the bred animals,that are not wanted any more. one or 2 things, we put them down or we build a million more shelters to house them.
    The problem is not the demand for pure bred animals, the problem is that there are no laws protecting animals from being bought then dumped for no (good reason).
    In an ideal world we would not need shelters, because in a ideal world these scum woul not be aload to buy and dump animals at a wim.
    Its a catch 22, rescue animals are doomed if you dont get them, and bred animals will end up being doomed if you dont get them.
    Dont no what it is like in your area, but there is one shelter near me,the ( pdsa) and they never put a healthy animal down, there housing and food ex ex is paid for with donations from the public.

14. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

$600.00 she is pet quality akc (mismark) I love her anyway. My other came from a BYB she is akc and cost $350 7 years ago.

15. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I paid around $200.00 for my cat. But she came spayed, with all of her shots, screenings, all of that.

16. Hiplikethat

Hiplikethat Member

Well i have a pugapoo my sister paid $350 for her and then gave her to me FREE perfect price tag :)

17. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I think the only way to control pet population is to spay/neuter your pets. Regardless where you get your pet, breeder or shelter, it doesn't mean anything if you continue to reproduce your animals at high rates. So remember peeps, spay neuter your animal friends!

18. Joystick

Joystick Member

My sister paid 900 for a chihuahua

19. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

I would never exchange money for a animal unless it benefitted the animal!!! You must have got your dog from a breeder - look into rehoming abdoned animals in the future - then you wont profit evil breeders!!!!!!!

20. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

My dog is from an animal shelter where we were encouraged to donate about £80 when we got her, which of course we did.