How much control do you have over your life?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by broony, Sep 5, 2013.

1. broony

broony Banned

I feel I have a lot.. but it depends on how deep you take the question, and where.

Some days.. well most days when i'm going to work.. I feel that I have no control.. but I would have more control if I was more moderate with everything and continue to get better with my money.

Some might say they have little to no control because they were born with a number to identify them (ssn) and they are also born into a place where they are paying money (taxes) to fulfill a powerful few that doesn't guarantee to benefit them.

Though if you care not about that above and look at the little things you might have or use everyday and appreciate it... then I guess you have all the control?

?

2. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

I usually only feel as though I have no control over my life when routine is broken.

3. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

None!
    I'm just blowin in the wind!!

4. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Life happens. All you can do is go with the flow.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

... and sometimes that river is deep. Very deep.

6. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Truth

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

eh whats up doc

To exercise control take responsibility for every level of your regard.

My expectations are modest, but I accept nothing less.

That is I expect nothing from the world but demand everything of myself.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Well, my first thought when I read your question was what I quoted from you. You can take that question to all kinds of levels... but with my reply I will keep it pretty simple. :)

There are obviously things I cannot control... lots of things.. even things that frustrate me and make me sometimes (if I allow it to) feel that I have no control and that's a downward road..

However, when it all comes down to it, I do feel I have a good bit of control... because even with those things where I have a lack of control I always have control over what I feel about it, what I think about it and what I do about it.

In most everything else that matters, I control my own life. (yes, you can take that to all kinds of levels that I don't but not going there) :D

Just wanted to add-
    I cannot change anyone else in any way.
    I cannot change life's circumstances sometimes.
    But I can always change how I deal with things and how I react to things and the things I do...
    and the theory is that you do the correct things (for you- to get what you want in the future) and deal with things in a beneficial way... then you will have a good bit of control (usually) over your circumstances. Act in the way in the present to get what you want in the future.
    And when life just happens, which it does.. you still control how you react to it and view it. :)

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think I have a decent level of control. I'm responsible, I have harmonious relationships, I live a balanced life. I think I could definitely be in more control. I have certain goals that would be really difficult to achieve, but if I was really in control I could find a way to do it.

10. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Over some aspect I have control. Over others I have limited control. I do control the outcome of most things that come into my life by how I deal with them.

Sometimes I deal with them well and sometimes I could deal with them better.

I really only have control over myself.

11. PeAcHFloWeRz

PeAcHFloWeRz Guest

Holding on tight and enjoying the ride! I trust the universe to take me where I need to be! Not always happy, not always sad. ..... but always BEAUTIFUL!

12. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Heat makes a good point, you can always control how you react. Which can control outcomes of events you can't control. Haha.

I try to plan for the worst, hope for the best, and it usually lands somewhere in the middle.

13. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

None.

It's all improv, everything is in a pinch, too many factors involved, with topsy-turvy outcomes, and often times of wholly arbitrary importance. Planning is as futile as it is inevitable. Rules of thumb are only useful for a week or two.

I mean, I don't even know who I am. Since I'm sure I edit my memory banks to massage my ego, and that the future will uterly surprise me. My own bias keeps me from seeing things as they really are, if in fact they are 'out there.'

All I really have is my wants. Infinite wants. I want an infinite amount of things all at once, and I never know what which desire will come out on top until I starting grabbing for it.

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Are there any parallels among your wants?

15. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Like a pattern? Not that I can make out. Flat out whimsical.

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

too much

i wish i would have found the right mate early on to push and motivate me to do more and better things.

I am guilty of a wasted life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBthlVKgmU"]Papillon - Dream #1 - Desert Trial - YouTube

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yeah, exactly. If you can find a pattern it might lead you to the path to take.

18. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I'm good. It wasn't a complaint. Merely observation.

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I didn't take it as one. But I can relate, and I push myself hard. Maybe too hard. Wasn't trying to project on you

20. deviate

deviate Senior Member

You aren't dead yet..

But yeah, I'd like to find that too. That woman who makes me want to be a better man. Even though in a roundabout way all of my exes have done that also.

Because at the end of the day, you can be bitter or better.