How Much Art Do You Have In Your House?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ashalicious, Apr 15, 2015.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i appreciate your sparing me.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I went down an etsy rabbit hole last night and found much LOTR art. And now I have to try to limit myself to one or two items.
    Because i already have a map of middle earth hanging up and I dont want to go too overboard :sweatsmile:

I like these LOTR travel prints

Screenshot_2018-12-12-13-18-39~2.png

I might get 4 in a small size, maybe 5x7, and group them together

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I also have a jigsaw puzzle I had printed of my dog and a Jeff Gordon jigsaw from a pic I took. They're just tacked to the wall, plus my favorite Louis Royo art.

[​IMG]

4. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I collect art, so I have quite a bit. I started as a teenager after I was extremely fortunate to stumble upom some Japanese woodblock prints. There was a very wealthy old lady that had spent her life collecting Oriental art and wanted to share it. As a hobby she maintained an Oriental art gallery in a Hilton Hotel. She had a stack of Japanese woodblock prints that she sold for $150 a piece. When a friend of mine and I showed interest, she said that we could put them on lay away and it didn't matter how long it took for us to buy them, we could just put down any amount when ever we had some extra money for them. I ended up buying 3 prints---the most valuable being a contemporary artist---Hasui---who died in the 50's but was very popular because he was very traditional with just the right amount of modernity to the traditional scene. The last time I priced that one was about 15 years ago to insure it and it was near $20,000. Then there is one of a samurai (Actually a kabuki actor as a samurai) by the 17th century artist Kuniyoshi, which is also up there in value though it does have a worm hole or two. The last one I bought was by another 17th century artist, Yoshitoshi---he is not as famous, but he was the first one to add texture to a print by embossing the paper----and this one, which is of a girl moon-viewing from her room, is an example of that as he embossed the lapel of her kimono. Even as a teenager I knew I had gotten these at a steal and that started my hobby of collecting art (coincidentally several years later I actually went to Japan as a student and spent many years there).

I have numerous serolithographs by Karl Bang. He was the official artist of Mao Tse Tung, and any picture you see of Mao was painted by him. After Mao's death he was allowed to leave China and he came to America where he only painted women----combining several women into the perfect model. I only have one poster---a signed poster for earth day done by Karl Bang----this piece was the offical poster for earth day for about 5 years or so.

I have quite a few other pieces too, some worth quite a bit, and others not worth that much. I have several Chinese scrolls (silk paintings) and other Chinese paintings, which are filled with sexual and erotic symbolism (which is very common in Chinese art if you know what to look for----generally for fertility). I have an antique woodblock print from France, artist unkown, that is a pastoral scene filled with erotic symbolism (the main theme is a boy teaching a girl how to play a flute) along the lines of the artist, Fragonard. I am hoping to start collecting more European pieces---especially oil paintings.

In fact, I would suggest if anyone wanted to start collecting art, but did not have that much money now, that they consider animal prints by Jardine. He is a Scottish artist who taught Audubon how to do his prints, and his brother engraved for Audobon. I have a number of these prints and used to buy them for people as gifts. I haven't looked for them in well over 10 years, but I am sure you could still find them online for under $100. The worst thing people do is go into shopping mall poster shops and buy prints that are massed produced and worth less than their shopping mall price. Before you do that---try to find actual prints by artists, and even original paintings and what not----you'll probably spend less money and have an authentic piece of art, which might even appreciate over time. I have no respect for the cookie cutter shopping mall artist---Kincaid---yeah the pictures are nice---but you are not exactly buying the original piece his shops are making you think you are buying.

I also have a lot of odd or unique curios, collectables, and antiquities that I've picked up in various parts of the world or collected here. I have a little statuette of the Goddess Astarte from about 2500 BC, a 3 1/2 foot tall jade incense burner from China, and so forth. I have a number of beaded Huichol carvings---a snake, some bowls, and other pieces. Every one of them has symbols of peyote and deer (the deer is the spirit of peyote and first showed the peyote to the Huichol).

I just happened to notice that on my avatar---there is the corner of one of my Chinese ancestral paintings behind my head. These ancestral paintings are about 150 years old and were once hung in a temple so that the locals could pay homage to their ancestors. They are two paintings, one of the first emperor and the other of the first empress of China. The idea is that peasants would never be able to afford paintings of their own ancestors so they would go to the temple and offer to these paintings on the idea that the Emperor and Empress were the main ancestors of all.

I don't have a favorite----whenever I acquire a piece, I immediately fall in love with it regardless of its value.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Running Horse likes this.
  5. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Have quite a few nice pictures nothing valuable
    20181214_102807.jpg

thethinkingcat likes this.
  6. Rots in hell

7. Rots in hell

8. I like this one.
    Reminds me of a show or something.
    I can imagine sailors, smugglers and whatnot.
    All kinds of shady business.

Also, Mally....I see some Christmas decoration there
    But I don't see you posting in the Christmas tree thread :fearscream::rage:

9. Rots in hell

will rectify that in a bit mon petite

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  10. Rots in hell

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  11. Rots in hell

I have a mountain of crap in my room though
    20181214_111830.jpg

Ged and thethinkingcat like this.
  12. Rots in hell

13. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

All of my art is in my attic & it's real cluttered up there

14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

In Your Attic......????... I Thought You Were "Homeless".....Homeless Peeps Don't Have "Attics".....:confused2:

Cheers Glen.

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I have toys in the attic...

Wait!

Orison and Running Horse like this.
  16. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Precisely good sir Glen.....precisely

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

maybe that's just how he decorates year round.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Recently I saw this 3 transitional Louis Royo picture at a framing stand in the mall. Pretty much straight after I posted the other pic earlier in the week.

I bought it. Depending on the angle you are looking at it from, it shows up 3 different paintings.

It can be funny when they all transition into each other at times too lol.

20181215_175339.jpg 20181215_175357.jpg 20181215_175452.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

The Beatles art piece that's right outside my bedroom door. I'm not sure who painted it though. I'll have to go check.

The colors are wonderful! <3

20. Rots in hell

Can you post a Picture of it Please ?