How many..

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Peace, May 18, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

You're right. Livestock provide a lot more than just food, though. But my point was (again) that we are lucky to even be able to choose to refuse a certain type of food. That alone is something to be thankful for. At least I think it is.

I don't have the time/energy to debate this any further, simply because it's a bottomless pit. I'm fine with veggies and vegans and I respect what they believe in and stand for, and I have no hard feelings for anyone in this thread (life's too short for animosity). :) Nobody's opinions are going to change (certainly I'm not trying to change your eating habits--what you do (or don't) eat is your business). I just thought I'd speak up because it's sad to see that some people (SOME people, not all) have such a vicious hate-on for those who eat meat, when there's so much more to a person than what foods they eat.

Peace, guys. [​IMG]

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

hehe kid? Haven't been called that in a while.

Don't assume my input is advocating the consumption of meat. I was simply giving the other side of the "this is what human teeth are made for" argument.

Hope you have an evening beyond splendid, love. :)

3. MexicanFlowerChild

MexicanFlowerChild Member

Im a vegetarian...i feel badd eating meat and wearing clothes made out of animals is just wrong...i wouldnt feel right if people kill me to eat me and make clothes out of me...sure ill be dead but for no reason...

4. Patch

Patch Member

i feel as though since i have the luxury of chosing to be a vegitarian...the meat i would potentially be consuming is going to a starving family somewhere who doesn't have the choice...who really needs the food...that isn't the only reason i am a veggie...i posted earlier about it...

also i think this is kind of funny...but my ex-girlfriend ate meat...and i wouldn't kiss her if i knew she had eaten something recently...once i made her brush her teeth...i guess that's kind of anal...i have nothing against people who eat meat...a lot of my friends do...to each their own i guess...and this is my choice.

5. Orsino

Orsino Member

Luxuries are bullshit. No excuse. I am fortunate, but then again, I do have the option to choose, although I don't consider it luxury, but a lifestyle, I have the option to choose meat if you see it as an option, but then again, I don't see it as an option but as another fellow living thing, and i'm sorry if you do see it as a luxury, but I see it as an only choice. We can drive up to any mcdonalds in a car as long as they're open. We're not exactly chasing our food on foot while carrying spears, bows, and arrows. You're not exactly living in Ethiopia yourself... lol. It's your "choice", but there's just no excuse. Even people who can't afford it have a "choice". I mean, it really isn't that hard to grow crops if you can't afford it, but it's all "choice"... and motivation is definately not an excuse. But... if you must choose to eat meat, at least i'll be in better health while another is laying on the operating table having a triple bypass. ::burp:: bad karma. Yes... as you may say, moderation is the key. But why moderate when you don't need to. Why moderate when you are capable of living off non-living things and not taking lives. It's all one choice wether you have an excuse or not. You see two choices. I see an only choice.

6. Orsino

Orsino Member

It isn't a matter of what they eat, but what lives they emphasize with cruelty. What lives they take.

7. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i'm a vegan just bc i think eating or using anything that came from an animal is so wrong. my mom and my sister are kinda wierd about it, they always offer me meat to see if i changed my mind i guess but i still pass on it. i don't think anything could ever change my mind about it bc i'm so against it.

8. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

Ohhh, Right. I just read your posts again, and i see what you were saying now, Sry bout that

9. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

I actually have no idea where she said that in this thread, but in response...

Thats sort of like saying "well, if smoking is so bad for us, why don't people just ban it?"

Profit.

Thats why.

10. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Okay, it IS a luxery to have a choice like that. The Maasai people in Africa are nomadic herders. There is no arable land where they live. When I was in Africa, I spent a night camped next to their village and they slaughtered a goat for us right in front of me. And guess what? I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH IT!!! Oooooohhhhh....guess that means I'm satan now! They killed the goat because aside from the goat's milk and the animal blood they drink, THEY HAVE NO OTHER SOURCE OF FOOD!! They would have to walk for days at a time just to reach a marketplace that sells vegetables. THAT is what "having a choice is a luxery" means. And even in the US, if you were a single mom with 7 kids living on welfare, would you buy tofu or chicken neck bones (a common food among the poor in the US)? Well, if you had any common sense, you'd buy the cheapest one, which usually isn't tofu. And granted, most people on here who have computers DO have that luxery of chosing not to eat meat, it's still just that: A CHOICE!!!

I say we drop this stupid, self-righteous debate once and for all!! The next time someone wants to bring up this rediculous topic, do it in the Veggie forum.

Pax,
    Kate

11. Orsino

Orsino Member

I used to eat raw fish before I became vegan.... and not sushi, they put that artificial crab pressed pollock stuff in it... I mean real raw fish.

12. Bernie

Bernie Member

i swallowed a fly once. that sucked.

13. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Lions definately aren't as cool as giraffes.