How many..

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Peace, May 18, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Well, that's why I said ban or put a limit on it. Alcohol does have a legal limit on it (well, when it comes to driving). Alcohol may not be the best example. I can't think clearly right now...lol

People aren't going to stop eating meat anytime soon. Especially with this new Atkins/low-carb craze...which I happen to think is utterly stupid, even though I'm not a vegetarian. I don't care how much weight you lose in how little time, eating THAT much meat cannot be good for anyone. It's sickening.

But personally, it just bothers me when veggies/vegans start talking down to meat eaters like we're the devil's spawn, preaching about how they're so much better than us because they don't eat meat and we do. I'm not a bad person. I volunteer, I pick up trash, I give blood, I help out at the puppy shelter, I tutor small kids (well, only in the summer), I'm kind, caring, and peaceful. And all that means nothing because I eat a hamburger every now and then? Pssh.

2. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I might be a bad reader, but I haven't seen any talking down to. If there is any in this thread, please, point it out.

3. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

There you go, Peace. Most of it is in the Veggie forum, though. Which is why I stopped going there. lol

But trust me, it's not unheard of. Nor is it hard to find.

4. joe

joe Banned

This is why i dont like hippies that much, always bitchin about some shit

me, me im sorta a pacifist, i beleive in non-violence and protection for all life, so does it make me morally wrong if DO eat meat?

SO WHAT!, its a choice leave it at that and only at that, no need to go preaching propaganda and damning others.

im having deja vu man, ive seen this all before

Screw this im not even gonna stay on this

5. attackmole

attackmole Member

Deja Vu eh? Well, this thread does seem to pop up every 2 weeks or so. Yup im a vegetarian. But i'm fine with meat eaters. It's their choice.

6. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Amen to the last 2 posts!

7. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

If you had included my whole message, instead of pointing out the introduction, you could have seen my VERY REASONABLE argument. How can one preach about peace and love, when they support the mass slaughter of innocent creatures?

8. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

In addition, im not exactly "kicking" the asses of meat eaters. Some of my closest friends eat meat. Honestly, I am just making my argument as you are making yours. Is simply stating my opinions and obtained facts brutal? I don't believe I have said anything in a hostile manner.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

o gawd...

i know plenty of hipsters that eat meat, including some on this board!

its impossible to go on living without destroying other forms of life, remember that little thing called entropy???

"im sorry brother, but i must take your life so i can go on living mine"- tom brown, a survival, awareness, and tracking teacher

10. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

Your crazy , if your actually suggesting they put a limit on what you can eat.
    People are SUPPOSED to eat meat, its a natural thing that has been happening since we started, your not gonna change anything.
    I'm not puttin vegetarians down, but when your talking about banning meat, thats just phucked up
    How is that any better then the Gov't telling you , you can't smoke dope?

11. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Amen to that. I'm a veggie and I'm against meat but I'm not gona preach it, we, people, will stop eating the meat when we're smart enough...so I'll just be the change i want to see in the world withOUT preaching.

12. kier

kier I R Baboon

like it or not, the use (and abuse :() of animals has created society.

if you do not digest enough protein in your diet, you will lack many nutrients needed for basic bodily functions. this can be replaced with certain foods, but thats the point...replaced. we have evolved to need protein in our diets, unlike our friends the cows and sheep we don't have a rumen full of bacterior to convert non-protein nitrogens to proteins

but how about moderation? only eat meat once a week/2 weeks (about what i do) and wherever possible get organic/free range/local meat. This way it encourages local farming and the better treatment of animals. If you choose to be vegan or vegetarian, that is very good of you, but preaching at how cruel it is and attacking other peacefull people is counter productive

there are many troubles in this world, and yes, animal cruelty is huge and needs to be stopped as much as possible. but try and look at other problems

where does your food come from? if it's not organic, have you any idea how much chemicals could of been used? how about your furniture...where has the wood come from to make it? i cant remember the figures, but the tropical rainforests, where life is richest, are being destroyed at an enormous rate.

what im trying to point out is that there are more issues than eating meat

13. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I'm currently in the process of going vegan. Because I don't think animals should be treated the way they are, and I shouldn't get to choose when to end THEIR lives. Animal activist:)

14. Megara

Megara Banned

what i dont understand is this... a lot of veggies talk about being at peace with your surroundings..not harming nature..well, if you havent look at nature, you should realize its very dangerous and deadly. The only thing that keeps any sort of "harmony" in nature is the death and destruction. Are we going to ban lions from eating meat because of cruelty to animals? A lot of veggies preach that we are no better than animals..to that, i say EXACTLY..we are just like the animals..a lot of animals kill other animals to survive..we are no different.

15. BohemianSuperhero

BohemianSuperhero Member

I'm vegan. I don't think any person should have the power to destroy or harm any other person, and I see no reason why that shouldn't apply to the way we treat animals as well. Animals are capable of pain, suffering, and as anyone with a dog or cat knows, a great deal of personality and rational thought. To say that humans should have the right to kill and torture them just because we, on the whole, happen to be more intelligent just seems extremely cruel and selfish to me. I have no problem with people who don't agree, as I used to eat meat myself, but it just seems very hypocritical to me for a person to be against war and hatred and injustice, and then go out and kill an innocent creature for the sole reason that it tastes good. To say that 'a creature can't have rights because it's not like me' is just very wrong and indefensible, in my opinion...
    It's true that animals eat other animals, and that it's a necessary part of nature, but eating meat is irrefutably harmful to the human body and the environment, as someone else posted statistics for. The reason society feels it's okay to eat animals is because we are so much more intelligent and aware than they are- why then would we try to borrow tips for how to live from them? We ARE more intelligent, so we should use that intelligence and morality and move PAST simple evolution and instinct. It would be ridiculous for me to suggest that we choose our mates based on the way animals do it, or govern ourselves the way animals do, and it's equally silly to eat meat just because animals do. We live in a society now, and we can't base our actions on what worked for us 10,000 years ago. With evolution and civilization comes ethics and morality, and I have never heard a logical reason that humans should be able to take the lives of creatures that feel pain just like we do, except for the trivial and egocentric "It tastes good and I'm better than it."

16. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i;ve come to the conclusion vegans are a drag.

17. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

Exactly, they piss n moan all the time about how bad meat eaters are, but they dont realize that, that is how things are SUPPOSED to be.

18. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

It's not just that it tastes good (even though a bloody steak would be good right now) Its the fact that its food, you need food. and it just so happens that the food i eat is meat, and im gonna eat meat , and if i have to kill something so that im not hungry, well im gonna do it

19. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Perry, you TOTALLY misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan; I eat meat. You have several veggies talking about how BAD meat is for us, so I was asking if it's so BAD for us, why hasn't the FDA done anything about it?

So, in essence Perry, you proved my point.

20. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

As a rule I wouldn't enter into these kind of debates/squabbles. However this being an important issue I'm willing to speak up.

I have been a vegetarian since last June, for many complicated reasons:

The love for my companion animals (two fish, then later a rabbit), I wouldn't ever inflict on them what the meat industry does to their species, so why pay someone else to.
    Factory farming is evil and I just can't bring myself to suppourt it.
    Knowing full well that meat really isn't that good for you or necessary for survival eating it just seems pointless.
    Raising animals well and truly fucks up large chunks of the world. So for an enviromentalist eating meat would hypocritical.
    I have a meat intollerance. (Purely psychological but still)

Well that's all. I'm with Borut on not getting into a debate. We have a whole forum for that.

TTFN

Sage