How many on Prep?

Discussion in 'Bisexual' started by Windman, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Windman

Windman Members

I’m not sure where this belongs, but I’m familiar with a lot of you so here goes. It seem since I’ve begun my bisexual journey I’ve had a few guys that I have met with. I had a regular where I used to live but have moved. So as I am wading into finding a replacement I find that I’ve has sex with more guys than I imagined I would, mostly bj’s but I have bottomed with a condom.

My question is how many of you have gone on Prep and how was the process to get on it? My wife cant know about it and I worry if I go through my health care provider there is a chance she will find out. Any guidance you can provide will be helpful.

dd788snipe likes this.
  2. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been on PrEP now for four years, daily when I'm actively meeting a lot of guys, and occasionally 'event-based' when/if I'm living quiet.

Scotland made it free on a 3-monthly test based system via sexual health clinics around 4/5 years ago, England has only recently followed suit.

New Zealand has a similar system to Scotland....I was there the last 16 months.

By going through a sexual health clinic you can do it without your regular doctor knowing if you wish; it is your choice

A great system that ensures you are tested for all STDs as well as HIV every three months. Long may all same-sex aficionados get on to it and there will be a lot less STDs about!

Simon :)

dd788snipe and Windman like this.
  3. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was sexually active for a "long time" when a friend literally badgered me into taking the steps to care for myself. I was embarrassed, and I did fear it would be found out by my wife that I was being tested, etc. But, in upstate New York state, it became fairly easy for me to take the steps to do this. I started in a free clinic and then transferred my regular healthcare to the medical center here that provides services to the LGBTQ community in a respectful manner

I have been on PrEP for several years now - It is very expensive, but I receive it with no charge. I am amazed at that. I am tested every 3 months. In the process, I switched doctors when a nurse was unprofessional with me in my regular doctor's office. Your fear of your wife finding out is real. It happened to me. I was naive to think my wife would not look in my bathroom and find my meds. She confronted me and the truth came out. It was a terrible day. She could not fathom the idea that I was planning ahead to have sex with someone so much so that I'd take a pill to protect me. I guess she could understand how a "weak moment" might happen, but taking a medication was a wild notion for her - even when I tried to explain that women take birth control - and isn't it something good that I would take such a precaution to protect my health? She didn't buy it and it was the beginning of the final nails in the coffin of our marriage. BUT, I would not let that stop you from doing the right thing to protect yourself. Anyone who has random sex or frequent sex with people you cannot assure are also protecting themselves from STDs or HIV - should seriously consider being tested regularly and taking PrEP.

If I can help you or if you have any other questions, please let me know. I think it is important if you are at all sexually active with people you don't know. It is like playing Russian Roulette. If you fear your wife finding out you are taking PrEP, just imagine explaining to her that you have to take a chemical cocktail to keep alive once you become HIV+

4. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah...all true. As I said it can be anonymously supplied here in Scotland and N.Zealand and all free, including the testing.

It should be made clear though that PrEP only protects against HIV and not STDs, but the regime of 3 months supply at a time ensures regulat comprehensive STD testing and if necessary treatments.

Simon :)

Windman and dd788snipe like this.
  5. When I moved to my present location in Northern California, I was hopeful that there would be new opportunities to meet someone new and have him/her in my bed. So in July I renewed my PrEP that I had discontinued after the first year.

3 years ago I started PrEP via a site called "Hey Mistr". With my insurance, everything was free. Free STD/HIV/HEP-C testing, free prescription for DESCOVY, free shipping of test kits and the DESCOVY. I get tested every 3 months for free, which is a good idea anyway. I'm always negative for everything, of course. Not only am I being proactive for my own health but also for the health of any future partner I might meet. You never have to see a doctor, only on-line interviews with a physician asking standard questions.