how many old hippies here still go to live music?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by mimosa, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

You're never to old to enjoy music!!! I would much rather go to a show where there are mixed ages than one where there's only one age group. Last year I went to the Bob Marley Festival in San Diego and was dancing on the floor and looked to my left and saw a Dad, Mom and their teenage son all dressed fairly the same and sharing a joint. I thought it was the coolest thing. Also, my sister took my Dad to see the Moody Blues (one of his favorite bands that he turned me on to) and I was so sad that I couldn't go. My dad had a big musical influence on me and I would be so happy to go to a show with him. :)

2. SpAcEdDeadhead

SpAcEdDeadhead Member

I love seeing older hippies not only at venues, but i enjoy talkin to them and seein them anywhere! Its great at venues though because theres usuallya common vibe going throughout...the show i see the most older hippies at are The Dead summer shows, which is cool.

3. intercityvisionary

intercityvisionary Member

I love when the classic soul bands come back to Philly's Dell which an open air theatre...since it in the park, you can set up your grills or just bring a lawn chair...I like setting up my tent and chill with my grill and just enjoy the sweet vintage sounds of Mandrill, Bootsy Rubber Band..WAR ( I know some of ya'll heard of WAR), and Funkaldelics with the grand funkster himself George Clinton..man, just jam the night away...
    Recently...I when to club to hear this awesome reggae group out of Baltimore MD., called JahWorks...it was like a religious experience...I attend live performances from the local talent here and about....

"I know one can live without smoking cannabis but, why would one want too..."

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I burned out on the huge festival type events years ago. I did try to keep up with the new music by going to Dance Valley outside Amsterdam, but the last time it was a big disappointment, overcrowded, expensive, mismanaged, and worst of all the music sucked!

I can't handle swarms of people anymore, not being able to see the performers faces except on huge screens, no room to sit or picnic, loud, loud music (my hearing is failing from the dozens of overamped concerts I saw in the 70s), endless queing for this and that, the current mixture of music genres, and many more stupid things that make these events a big pain in the ass.

I may sound like an old grouch, but I will attend a good concert at a decent venue (one not piled to your knees with garbage) with seats or outdoors with lots of room to stretch out. Or small venues where the music is good, the dancing is hot and you don't have to pay a small fortune or wait in line for 3 hours, or walk 5 miles. Like that's too much to ask.

5. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Mini Acoustic Concert In The Woods --of Big Sur-I believe it was 1970 and The Almann Bros. first trip west to play Fillmore west-They had a overnight party at Limekiln Creek in Big Surr--somehow my girlfriend and I got invited through some friends-Great weekend-acoustic jam sessions and alot of acid--I ended up with Hep from drinkin the creek water-figure someone upstream was pissin in it-But; it was worth being yellow and tired for awhile-beautiful setting-about 100 people--I still go to concerts over in Portland from time to time-last one was Lynard Skynard-people of all ages-great show-a guitar army!

6. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Mini Acoustic Concert In The Woods --of Big Sur-I believe it was 1970 and The Almann Bros. first trip west to play Fillmore west-They had a overnight party at Limekiln Creek in Big Surr--somehow my girlfriend and I got invited through some friends-Great weekend-acoustic jam sessions and alot of acid--I ended up with Hep from drinkin the creek water-figure someone upstream was pissin in it-But; it was worth being yellow and tired for awhile-beautiful setting-about 100 people--I still go to concerts over in Portland from time to time-last one was Lynard Skynard-people of all ages-great show-a guitar army!

7. mimosa

mimosa Banned

I just went to a great small fest in Wisconsin this past weekend Feelgoodfestival(.org)
    the music never stops!! love those smaller fests, definitely. On Saturday night I was so tired and the camp next to us stayed up til all hours playing some righteous music; I was half asleep and wanting to go out and join them but couldn't keep my eyes open. so tired from dancing all day. none of it was the stuff of lullabies but it was great to rest by, I only consciously remember a woman belting out Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" and guitar and banjo players getting the groove but good on some songs. nothing keeps me awake if I'm really tired. I just like being around other people who love music so much. and campground jamming is such a bonus (not to mention our grilled shrimp and fresh sweet corn feast, can't forget treats like that).

even Bonnaroo was good this year for me, I had the best neighbors ever in camp, young and "older". too much walking there though, but don't let the crowds there fool you. when you're in them it's not as bad as it looks, plenty of room mostly, and fairly well organized. I do like the smaller fests though, so much family vibe and really nice. you get to know everyone which is what it's all about. People and music, and people enjoying music.

8. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

I'll be spinning in the front row till I'm dead. I prefer the smaller festival events (2000 and less) The larger ones aren't as kynd as they once were, seems to be more and more,all about the money. Single events are usually too pricey for me to attend. This is the next lil one for me, right up the road a few miles.
    http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?eventID=290752

9. Lucysky

Lucysky Original Hippie

We occasionally go to concerts - if it is in a smaller venue.

A good concert on Cable, air-conditioning and a recliner chair can be an acceptable alternative - LOL

10. mimosa

mimosa Banned

just wanted to say...this reply still cracks me up!! Glad I ran into you again at Roo!!! Even if only for a brief moment. :) How are ya?

11. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

im tryin to hit harvestfest in georgia, stil lupset about missin music this whole summer, but i had a career oppourtunity so im stickin to it. hopefully no more homeless .. . .
    but for the first time in my lif i now have benefitsa and . . .vacation pay!!!!!!!! yall should come out, not sure about the lineup but at this point, i dont even care.

12. mimosa

mimosa Banned

go enjoy the music, WFS!!!

13. SeekUrBliss

SeekUrBliss Member

The last 3 years, i've attended The Beale Street Music Fest here in Memphis...
    I got to see The Wailers & Dave Matthews Band and lots of other cool bands. I loved it and i didn't feel "too old" to be there. My kids (19, 21) think its cool that i like alot of "their" music too... altho i have them likin' "my" classic rock too [​IMG]

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Saw B. Dylan and Willie Nelson about a month ago.

15. mosaicthreads

mosaicthreads Member

live music is the way to go....nothing like it!

We are still going, but mostly to small local venues. Still love supporting the local artists and enjoy homegrown music. The old man is still playing in a band with some of the same guys that started it 30 years ago, and playing much of the same music. Now they call themselves Midlife Crisis.

My 15 year old daughter is into swing dancing so we have been going to hear a lot of big band music and early rock n roll. Fun stuff and still a rush to see folks enjoying making music and groovin' to it.

16. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

I visited recently Freak City at 'the land of milk and honey' here at Germoney. Headliners were Big Brother and the Holding Company and Tito & Tarantula, both great gigs. Here's the official webpage of the 'Burg Herzberg Festival' and here a personal thread about our visit there and the following road trip on a vw bus.

[​IMG]

17. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

Over the next two or three months, I am going to see Dead Can Dance, P-Funk, Oasis (with Jet) and Arlo Guthrie.

18. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I do. Lots. Live music is uncomparable.
    And: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SCENE!

19. 2shy_olhippiegal

2shy_olhippiegal Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I went to the first Bonnaroo in 2002, the first 10000 Lakes Festival, the first Wakarusa in 2004 and again this year and Summer Camp (my Mother's Day Present belated) with my 2 sons. I love the whole festival scene and not one time did I ever feel out of place. Us old folks are in the minority but we still refuse to grow up. We're still festival KIDS even at our age.

20. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

--WoW!--Great list of groups-Nice to hear they are all still (pretty much) alive and well and still bangin it out-Very inspirational-nowhere does it say that rock stars need to die young-