how many old hippies here still go to live music?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by mimosa, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mimosa

mimosa Banned

I love live music, always have, always will. Just wondering how many my age still go see live bands? I don't even care if I feel out of place, I just love the music. And you young folks who linger here, what do you think of old hippies at your venues? coz a lot of what I go see is populated by younger folks.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The wife an I just saw Hot Tuna a couple a weeks ago.
    In the past few years we've seen Dave Mason, Iron Butterfly, Starship, Quicksilver, Tull, Moody Blues, Leon Russell, Robin Trower, Tommy James, The Turtles, Arlo Guthrie...and some others.

We're planning on a few more this spring but I forget who's coming to town...some Motown groups I think...I gotta check.

3. gravel_run69

gravel_run69 Member

I was to the Phish concert in coventry this past summer. my son and i went . had a real good time. all the young people were friendly and lots of old hippies there

4. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

At the concerts, I'm visiting are most of the ppl of my age. Mostly because I don't visit concerts of new groups, most of them are over 30 yrs on the road. Last year I was at Canned Heat, Jethro Tull, Collosseum and a 3day Hippie-Open AIr with several groups. Upcoming events are Wishbone Ash, Mitch Ryder and John Mayall.

Don't forget to Boogie!

5. mimosa

mimosa Banned

Welcome to hipforums, gravel run!!

My daughter and I were at Coventry too!!

6. Mitao

Mitao Member

Hi, very new member here:&
    Ar the grand old age of 47, I finally got to my very first music festival in 2004.
    What can I say????? it was every bit as fantastic as I always fantasised:D
    I've never been able to go to one before, even though I've always wanted to, too many responsibilities (carer, wife, mother all at the same time). This year my beautiful son, who knew what I'd always dreamed of, bought me tickets for the Cropredy Festival (UK) I have never had such a brilliant time, or met so many fantastic people in my life before. I followed this with a Beer/Folk Festival (Both were Fairport Convention) and ... well...wow!!!!! words fail me.
    I just hope I can continue, and even get to more this year;) I have finally srated to live and I want more!!!!!
    So happy to have found this forum:cool:

Mitao

7. goldmund

goldmund Member

I love seeing and talking with older folks at live gigs. many have seen things that I can only dream of, we owe everything to you!

8. gravel_run69

gravel_run69 Member

Thanks for the welcome. My son has taught me a lot about living in the today since he went to university. On the other hand i believe he has learned a lot about the past, sixty's and hippies from me. i believe we can learn from each other and embrace the best of both eras.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

But the thing I can't understand is..why is everyone so ooold at these concerts I've been attending???? I know I don't look as old as they do! LOL

10. livlvlife

livlvlife Member

my honey and I tried our first music festival summer of 2003...well, it was awful only because I am "older" and packed every "just in case" thing I could think of in the van. Didn't realize that we had to walk 10 miles ( well, maybe only a mile) to where we wanted to camp. a BIG learning experience. I have made myself travel lighter and last year we got to attend 4 music fests in 2004 (can't wait for our 2005 season). At first we got the "oh my god, my parents are here" look and for the first few hours were avoided. But after our offerings of food and coffee we always have people joining us around the campfire. We love it....and the young people we meet.

We must have lost that "parent" look, cause we feel "as one" now. I think we will get my mom to come with us this summer,

and we will attend some "arena" concerts, if the ticket price isn't ridiculious (I have moral objection to $75-$100 ticket prices)

11. earthfog

earthfog Member

The standard line, at the Woodstock Reunion concerts. While waiting in a long line at the pay phones ( cells don't realy work there)
    " First time I was here I stood in line waiting to call my parents. Now here I am waiting to call my kids

12. mimosa

mimosa Banned

so glad to hear from you all. At the shows I go to, there are mostly young folks, but I love the music and the vibe. So many nice people. the last 2 fests I went to, I slept in my van and couldn't have been more cozy. My daughter has reawakened me to music, I must admit, got me going to music things nowadays I never thought I'd ever consider. It took me a couple of years to believe I could withstand portapotties and no showers, but it's great to just get away from all civilization and just go with the flow. "teach your children.... teach your parents" to paraphrase CSNY. Love to you all, "go see live music"...

any more stories very welcomed....

13. WE1

WE1 Member

In the last five years. [Because that's as far back as I can remember]

I have seen Santana,Ravi & Anoushke Shankar,The Who,Simon & Garfunkel,Jefferson Starship,Eric Burdon,The Moody Blues,The Association,The Guess Who [with Burton Cummings] and would you believe me if I said Jimi Hendrix?..;)

14. gravel_run69

gravel_run69 Member

I go to the jazz and blues festivals in the neighbouring cities. You see all sorts of new talents and different genres of music. The local pubs and venues have different acts and it is well worth going to. Usually spend the days hitting the different pubs and get a concert in the night. If you just stick to old bands you miss alot of good music, allthough its nice to see them.So if you get the chance, check out the different festivals and try something new.

15. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I go to "Dead" music.

16. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

The last cancert I went to was in the park in Tyler at a flea and traveling minstrial show. I had a booth there selling my soaps,candles and beauty products. They had a few bands playing. There was the one dude from Central America that played the flute, he was absolutly amazing. He was so good I put money in the guitar case he had on the grass. With all the people, music and all I felt like I was back in Golden Gate Park on Hippie Hill in the 60's watching everybody jammin'. It brought back many wonderful memories for me. We also have a Blues festival in the summer here in our loacal Park. In Augest we have THe Old Settler Reunion and several local band play and the oldie take out their fiddles and then the real playing starts. I have seen smoke come from some of them fiddles as the fiddlers laid bow across strings. Charlie Danials came once and man o man he did some fine fiddlin'. We don't go to clubs, cuz' there's none around except the local VFW. (dry county). I would like to see more music in the parks around Amercia, it just seems natural to me.

17. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, even though I'm 33 I consider myself an ol' hippie 'cause there are so many that are younger than me at the concerts I go to with my hubbie (who's 56). Last summer we brought our eldest two sons (14 & 12) to see the Dead. They LOVED it. We had such a great time and it was awesome to be there for their first Dead experience. It was also fun to meet and converse with the young hippies that were at the concert. We also go to a lot of outdoor festivals and have a blast. My hubbie's a musician and he plays out a lot and I go most of the time to hear him too.

18. wingedtriangle

wingedtriangle Member

im sorry if i am intruding but i want to say god bless every one of you i have so much respect for you ive been going through so much lately i feel so alienated i feel like the only person of my kind in the world it hurts so much being born 50 years late i would give anything for just a glimpse of what you have seen thanks

19. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i still go to a ton of music fests every year, and catch every show that comes around. yall really should come out to the festivals though. alto of them have awesome music that you wont be turned on to anywhere else. go to jambase.com and click on thier festival guide for on near you. pack a tent a stove a couple a tarps and a cooler. good times. if you have questions about any of the festivals or bands feel free to ask me, i know most of em.

20. mimosa

mimosa Banned

sweetie, you aren't intruding AT ALL. Please visit us anytime. A lot of us don't mind either helping you out with any advice if you want it. You weren't born 50 years late, you're right where you are supposed to be, as we all are. Your life has purpose and meaning right where you are. We all feel alone at times, don't worry though, you're not really alone. (please believe me, I could tell you stories, and we all probably can). Keep seeking, you'll find what you need. (ok, you didn't ask for advice, but I had to say all that :) )

Believe me, even though I've been going to music for years and years, it's only recently that I found any music that I like as much as what I saw and heard in the "old days", and most of it is music of TODAY. Music builds on itself, and though the old times are past, a lot of today's music builds on what happened in the 60's and 70's, with a lot of creativity and innovation from new generations. I like yesterday's times and music too, always, but don't think we had more fun and joy than you can. It's all relative. Blessings to you always....