How many of you eat pork?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Amanda N, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Isn't it forbidden in the old testament?

2. redresonant

redresonant Member

its the other white meat ...so no!

3. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Pork(,) the one you love!!

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The dietary rules were changed in the New Testament.

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Now you are going to have to explain Old Covenant verses the New Covenant. Then all you will hear is, "Oh, so you don't follow EVERYTHING in the Bible?"

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Member

You know religion is petty when it tries to dictate what you may eat LOL

7. juggla

juggla Member

porks good, the dietary laws in the ot only apply to jews and actual physical descendants of them such as messianic jews, the ones who believe in christ, but of course theres the wacko seventh day adventists but screw them.

8. BlackBillBlake

I think that the problem is that many people think they know what is in the Bible but in fact they don't.

9. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I dont eat pork because I am a rasta-but as far as the bible-pork was allowed in the new testament

10. Lucy_In_The_Sky

Lucy_In_The_Sky Member

Yes, the 'heathens' who became Christians didn't have to follow all the rules the Jews followed. But Christians aren't allowed to eat beef...see if I can find it. At least not when it's raw:

21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

(King James Bible, Acts)

11. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

Yea-I think its funny how you can claim you are any one of the major religion-even if you dont follow most of the rules and teaching-but try and be a rasta of buddist and everyone expects you to follor every rule and teaching or your not.

12. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Jesus declared all foods clean to his Jewish disciples; there are no separate rules for Gentiles.

The concern in Acts 15 & 21 was not to turn Jews away from the gospel over a meaningless issue like food. In reality, no food is inherently unclean, but people who don't know better should be "humored" for the sake of evangelism and unity. (See Rom. 14)

13. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Sadly, I have noticed that, even with some of the most hard core Christians. There are people who can recite verse after verse from memory yet do not even comprehend what they are saying.

14. BlackBillBlake

'The letter killeth but the spirit giveth life'

15. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

Paul, the self appointed "prophet" abolished the law of Moses(peace be upon him) by numerous sayings like: "Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law."Galatians 3:25

But what Jesus(peace be upon him) says in the bible is different, whom shall thou follow, him or Paul?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

If you like a verse in the OT you embrace it but if you dislike it you immediatly answer "thats the OT and we are chrisitians", how come you dislike some of what you believe is the word of God and you like some?

I may sound stupid in your ears but if you believe it's all from God why do you dislike some verses and discard them?

To the righteous (when) it is said, "What is it that your Lord has revealed?" they say, "All that is good." [Quran 016.030]

16. MellowPsychedelia

MellowPsychedelia Member

I... don't eat pork.

17. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

There is another verse by Paul I remeber somwhere, i think its in Romans, or maybe the first Corithians...anyways...it goes something like this:

Those who are weak in faith eat only vegatables, but those who are stong eat all foods

or somehitng to that effect...i would fing the exact verse, but my NT is in my room

18. kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky Member

Yes, but that's about meat that has been offered to other gods. Those who are weak in faith believe this meat is wrong, and thus think that they are sinning if they eat it. The strong in faith can eat this meat, because they know there is only one God and that there's nothing wrong with the meat.

8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
    8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
    8:7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
    8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
    8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of your's become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
    8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 8:11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 8:12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
    8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

And then, I also remember this verse in Acts, where Peter sees a cloth come down from heaven with both clean and unclean animals, and a voice from heaven tells him that he can eat all the animals. This means that he had to go and preach about Jesus to the pagans, but of course it also means that he can eat unclean meat.

19. BlackBillBlake

Jesus own attitude towards all this is perhaps best summed up in Matthew ch.15 vs.11:

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

This would suggest to me anyway that to be too focused on food and dietary rules is not what Christ had in mind.

20. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Jesus himself declared all foods clean. (Mk. 7:14-23)

The Bible is a book of covenants. Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic covenant and instituted a new one in its place. (Mt. 9:16-17 ; Lk. 22:14-20)