How many of you are ACTUAL open hippies?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Yeah! Im 7-8 too! I conform to the medias' outlook on "hippies" by wearing what people wore 40 years ago! I label myself to make it easier on the government to squash my own personal being! I like to be a tree hugging hemp totting SHEEP!

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!

2. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

I never ment to say that a hippie is all about how you dress. I know from experience that is not true. I was just saying that it's cool to see that people can be open minded enough to not just put you down for how you dress, but actually pick up on some of the things you wear. It's fun to see.

3. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

You're far too judgemental young man, try to open your mind a little....

4. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't think I am a hippy, nor do I call myself one, I'm just boring and i am the ACTUAL Borut. But i share quite few views(not all!) and people on that site are mainly friendly so...

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Ooh another thread about who is and isn't in the secret club. How do we sign up? What are the membership perks anyway, a fetching tie dyed label emblazoned 'I'm a hippy isn't it groovy' perhaps? *

(*Yes ladies and gentlemen, Sage is in Sarky bitch mode... You'll be pleased to note she's snapped out of it now.)

Of course about two years ago I would have been very positive about this issue. Rattling off lots of cliches and sighting evidence with striking similarity to the questions and answers of the hippy quiz, having taken said quiz seriously (kind of) and felt proud to score highly.

Of course it's no longer two years ago...

Having opened my eyes to the paradox of conforming to nonconformity (hippys think/do/wear this).
    I honestly don't give a rat's ass eithier way.
    My clothes, ideas, activities etc are just whatever feels right. In some cases those are hippy (Jeez that's borderline cliche) and sometimes not. So frigging what?

It's all in the mind anyway, not about how you look or the degree you inflict your ideaology on the rest of the world.

To thyself be true.
    And as Sheryl Crow sang 'All I wanna do is have some fun.'

It's funny that probably makes me a hippy is the truest sense. Which is rather heartening or it would be if I weren't so apathetic to the whole issue.

TTFN

Sage

6. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

I don't really believe in the word "hippie." It's a group, a label. And "hippies" are supposed to be against conformity and all that bullshit, right? Well, giving them a label and certain clothes that they have to wear (hemp, granny dresses, love beads, etc.), it goes against everything that being an individual stands for. By labeling it and judging people on their "hippyness" as you said, by the way they dress and whether they watch MTV or not seems to degrade what these people believe in stand for and, in addition, makes the whole situation seem rather close minded to those people who maybe do wear nice clothes and like all kinds of music, but who also share the belief in peace and freedom and everyone being who they want to be. I believe a hippy is someone who thinks for themselves, who lives in a way in which they want, regardless of what society has to say about it. They dress however they want and challenge authority. They are pretty much just free of constraints. People can't judge their "hippyness." If anything, they can only tell you of their own individuality. So in answer to your question, I am rather an individual. I believe in Karma, I don't believe in god, I believe in peace, I don't believe in societies rules, I believe in drug use, I don't believe in killing, I believe in freedom of live and love and death. Those things set me apart from society because of my difference of views and the way I incorporate them into my life. I believe that's the only way I can answer your question, numbers being inefficient. Sorry about the length of this, I just felt rather strong on this topic.

7. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i don't really consider myself a hippy. I wear jeans + t-shirt. I listen to non-mainstream music (a lot of old music, mainly the 60's). But i do like hippies, and the people on this board are all very nice. All the people of my age that i know watch mtv and listen to rap, hip hop, ... Maybe if i know some hippies in real life, i will become one myself.

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I totally agree with (and probably meant) what Waitingforthesun said. It's wonderful to find such wise people (fellow sages :)).

Not knocking this place though, it's wonderful to be around a whole diverse group of individuals. Which is what we are really, not hippys or whatever. Just people.

Sketer: I don't know any hippys offline eithier, used to bug me but now I don't care. I might have got too obsessive and alienated 99.9% of everyone else (which I sort of managed anyway, but that's a whole other story)
    As for being one or not, well as the Zen master sort of said, look within thou art the hippy.

TTFN

Sage

9. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

10. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Sketer: If you are looking to hang out with just hippies in real life, you are gonna miss out on meeting some really cool people.

Peace-Pheonix- His mind may be closed, but so is yours. (Not trying to be an asshole, just saying)

Sage- Since when do Zen masters use Orthodox Christian/Old English terminology? :p Kidding!! I get what you mean.

11. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

I completely agree. That was perfectly said.

12. Peace-Phoenix

13. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Well, people are sitting here stereotyping themselves. Herding themselves into categories. Trying to be something other than themselves. And TortheViking could see that and was pissed off about it. He could've worded things a tad more politely, but thats besides the point. The point is, automatically you say that HE is the one who needs to open his mind, when you didnt even take the time to look at his side of it. You seem dead set on proving that there is nothing wrong with what these people are doing.

14. Peace-Phoenix

I never made a comment either way as to people stereotyping themselves. As it happens I'm not all that keen on stereotypes myself. I'd rather people were individuals. It isn't easy to step outside of a box in this society, most people are externally categorised, and these stereotypes are exacerbated internally. But I feel people should try to set their minds free, and their vocal cords! What I objected to was Tor's sweeping and unfounded statement, and his general attitude to people on this forum in all if his posts so far....

15. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

stereotypes are bad. Its just an excuse to judge people without knowing them.

16. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

this IS a looks oriented post, that is the entire question. I didn't mean to ask how hippy you are, I know I said it, but it's not what I meant, I am asking how hippy you dress.

can we cut the bullshit with the "stop steroetypes... that's stupid, ur dumb for saying this.. you cant judge by what peope wear" just stfu.

dead head hippie girl( I THINK that was your name, sorry if its not) you had a perfect answer you explain what you wore. thats all I am asking. I'm not on about your life philosophies about judgement. damn some of you fackers.

17. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

so what if im a fucker. those girls didnt say no :)

i usually just wear tyedyes and pants and some sort of necklase.
    my grateful dead tyedyes are the best :)

18. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Well then, I guess I cant give you credit for starting a pretty okay debate thread if thats not how you wanted it to turn out. Sorry for you.

*Throws fake grammy in the trash and walks away*

:)

19. SunFree

SunFree Member

What are you guys all talking about, I love stereotypes. They're only second to generalizations...vindictive ones especially are the best. ;)

I dress like what would be called hippy, by the way... that's why they call me a hippy, they don't care what I think :)

20. luxie

luxie Member

thats almost like the thread i posted "where have all the flowers gone" im an open hippie, if you want to say it like that! i love who i am more then anything and am not afraid of being hippie bashed (i'll take my chances)! i love everyone and want everyone to know i am one, i just am not sure people understand what it means to be one. if you want to know what i mean check out the thread i posted im not that big a fan of repeating myself! rock on!
    AIMER ET PAIX (LOVE AND PEACE)