How many of you are ACTUAL open hippies?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

look, people I'm not trying to upset anyone here, I am just wondering, if I pased one of you on the street, would I take a second look. Do you dress interestingly at all? I don't want to have to say fuck, So I'll just say "try not to get offended alright" I AM NOT BASING YOUR HIPPIENESS ON THIS I am simply WONDERING

do you sport your personality in an obvious way?
    I guess I figured some of you were more open, and maybe thought more about your replies... I should've thought more about my wording.
    So can anyone answer the question without getting on and on about me being wrong and judging and all that bullshit.
    1 or 10?

2. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

hey:) i totally understand what you are talking about..i wear all the hemp, tye dye and jeans..and skirts and flowy shirts i get at these really small cute shops....i refuse to buy cloths from large corporations..except for the jeans cause i dont know how to make them yet....i just cant stand the money hungry corporations that run our country, that have little kids make the cloths over seas and even in the US, that they dont care about the enviroment, that they pay there workers overseas for nothing......and i also dont like conforming..i like to be me..i dont believe in the standards that society has set for teens..so i dont follow.....and i like tye dye so i wear tye dye...but a big reason i wear what i do is that i dont like to support corporate america...i like supporting the small little stores where kind ppl work and things are so much cheaper....i guess ppl can tell im a hippie..i never go around calling myself one or anything..ppl just picked it up from my beliefs...especially in history class because we have disscussions so ppl find out alot about what i believe in...and just random ppl know of my as the hippie...just like today this random kid was just wondering around and goes "hey hippie" out of the blue....i guess i dont mind..its all good:) Peace and Love

3. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Designer clothes are a waste of money. And most of them are the exact same thing you can find at Walmart for a third of the price. The only difference is the name on the tag.

I don't watch MTV, simply because I don't have cable. Another waste of money to me.

And finally, since we're mostly talking about looks here, I'd say you'd definitely notice me if you passed me on the street. I don't wear anything wild, have wild hair, tattoos, piercings, or an abnormal body shape or anything like that. I'm just unique. I need to get some pics on here so you can see for yourself. If I figure out how to work this stupid digital camera, I will. :)

Upon first glance, people often assume I'm a rap/hip-hop junkie. "Hey, what's your favorite rap song?" I can safely say I never listen to rap, but when asked that question I always answer "'Rapture' by Blondie." :p

4. Tamee

Tamee naked

first of all, I have to say that clothes don't make the hippy.

and my outward hippiness factor is probably at 7 or 8.

5. MexicanFlowerChild

MexicanFlowerChild Member

I wear whatever is in my closet...i have long hair...i dont watch tv...i dont listen to new music or whatever they passed in the radio...i like the old romantic/rock/revolutionary music....so u decide...
    But i really dont think people should even judge people for whatever reason... that's just coming to the point where your like every body else...We got to stop this judging and actually knowing the person for who they are and not how they dress...i know youve heard this millions of times...but hey its true...just be yourself...and remember an original cost more than a copy...

6. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Yeah, clothes don't make The Hippy. I think (at least I hope) we all know that.

But the tone of this thread is looks-oriented. At least to me it is, maybe I'm reading it wrong. [​IMG]

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

well... i do not always look the part, which isnt as important as playing it.

i would consider myself a hippy though.

8. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i think i dress too"hippy"..so much so that people think im a poser hippy

but im not...i am a full on "hippy"...i think?

9. makno

makno Senior Member

i havnt cut my hair in 30 years [and no it is not grey ] ,i havnt slept in a bed half of my life hippy smippy anarco gangsta you can be many things in life ....if you passed me on the street you would know somthin is up!

10. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

I consider myself to be dressing to fit my convictions. I don't wear clothes that are manufactured by corporations, I wear natural fabric, no leather or fur... that sort of thing. I really only started consciously fitting into the hippie/beatnik stereotype when I started to get into some of the great beatnik authors' works. So that's the story of how I came to smell like a buffalo and look like an acid trip. The end.

11. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Eh, on my dorm floor (which was a great floor, unusually communal) over the past year I've earned the label "the Floor Hippy," which I don't mind, if anything I take it as a compliment. I dunno, my "outward hippiness," if there is such a thing, that got me my reputation is basically me having a laid-back personality, outspoken leftist political views, and my obsession with classic rock. I would have a loud and continuous stream of 60s and 70s music flowing from my room day and night. As for looks, I don't really attempt to fit some image, but I usually wear jeans and a band shirt, go barefoot in the dorms, and I had long hair for a while until I eventually gave in to my mother's nagging about a month ago.

12. kier

kier I R Baboon

sorry, unfair, im feeling shite...but it does have a point. there are so many threads of this.

i mean...look, you're trying to measure how people look in terms of "hippyness"!!!!

i wear baggy clothes, my hair is longish, i wear a few bits of jewelry because i like the look of each of the bits i wear. i wear sports trainers as they were one of the few that does my size, and are comfy and good for the amount of walking i do

i listen to alot of music, and thereby much of it could be classed as hippyish. i burn incense, and when i move to the halls at uni i am going to make it colourfull with wall hangings

i do this because this is who i am. i have not once used the peace sign in all seriousness, but i do push for peace. i do not wear ban the bomb signs, but i am for it.

i don't live in the past, i do not take drugs or smoke, i try to keep healthy, wash every day

i do not try to conform or unconform...i try to remain true to myself and follow my own ideals

13. Orsino

Orsino Member

All of you, shut up. It doesn't matter what you wear.. it's what you're for.

14. Jesus~

Jesus~ Member

I usally just wear whatever looks good on me. I have a very unique personality and i'm pretty cool.

I like all kinds of music, and i'm open to ideas.

I'm just down with it all , man.

15. Orsino

Orsino Member

If i'm a hippy, thats what I am, I really don't know if I am, I couldn't care less either, you know. I'm who I am and I really don't care what other people really think about it, that's them, as long as they leave me alone.

16. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

jeans and a t-shirt, thas all ya need. don't got them? hope yer on a beach and you've got on your smile.

17. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

This is the reason i'm so frustrated nowadays
    I recently moved to Colorado, being originally from Michigan. And making friends that i have anything in common with is proving kind of difficult.
    I feel like a hippie inside, and when people get to know me they usually call me "a fuckin hippie"or "tree hugger" or whatever. I had hippie friends back home. I am very concerned about the environment, I make hemp jewelry, i try to eat natural foods, i am vegetarian, I make clothes, I burn incense, and i listen to non-mainstream music, love drum circles, and am against war. But I guess i don't dress the part most of time. I go to shows, and i barely ever meet people. I feel like i get alot of "hippier-than-thou" treatment. I do have 1 long flowing hippie skirt, and i seem to meet way more people when i wear it. :confused:
    Also another thing that people seem to hold against me is that i don't smoke pot. I'm completely for legalization, but nobody ever askes me about that. I say "no thanks I don't smoke" and suddenly i'm made to feel like an outsider.
    Well 'tis true the clothes don't make the person. And i realize that is not what you are saying, but just remember to look deeper if you are judging.
    I like to hang around in the river all day and climb trees just like all you tye-dyes
    anyway i'll just be who i am, and you all do the same. Stay true to yourself!
    Stay beautiful!!!
    peace ya'll :D

ps. sorry about the rant.

18. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

I like what you said. I understand that you don't judge other on how they look, but being different does stand out in a crowd. I'm a young person too and to answer your question about the numbers and all I guess I would be a 10. I don't know if i try to be extreme or if it's just the way I am. I buy my clothes at thrift shops, I mostly listen to albums (and if I can't I'm listening to the oldies station), I hold my own protests (or try to), I'm attempting to start a political movement, and I'm always speaking my mind. Sure people at my school sometimes look at me strangely because I show up with long skirts and crazy tops and I wear vests alot, but you know, lately I've been getting more complements than anything else. And, I've noticed little by little that people in my school have started to wear long skirts and more and more paisley. So yes, I guess i'm a hippie, and yes I do hope that most of the people I talk to here are too. I hope that the hippie movement comes back. That would be the best thing of all.

http://www.expage.com/gpcmovement or givepeacec@yahoo.com

19. freakwentflyer

freakwentflyer Member

...when I actually dressed "like a hippy" many of the people who also dressed that way, didn't share my "hippie views" on politics and the enviorment. And many of them that said they did, later grew up to be republicans.
    Today, at 46, I have my hair short and though I don't like wearing "name brand" clothes, I don't dress "hippy" either. (well, sometimes I do a bit)

If you look a old news footage of the early sixties college protests, you'll see the first enviromental, anti-war hippies had short hair and dressed rather normal.
    And though I enjoyed the whole hippy look as it became, and is now, I know that in some ways hippie-ness becoming a fashion, even though it helps like- minded people to instantly recognize one another, it also takes something away from the true meaning of being a hippie. Too many "fashion hippies" snub people that dress more main stream, when sometimes they are in reality more truly hippie minded than the fashion hippies.
    A real true hippie isn't about the "look". Or what drugs you do. It's about belief in personal freedom and a willingness to stand up for the wellbeing of our planet and the human rights of others. And to always question authority, society, and even ones own beliefs.
    Don't get me wrong, I still love seeing young people with that hippy look, beats the name brand and hip-hop thing, but being a middle age guy I prefer to wear my "freak flag" (as we use to call our long hair) now in my words and actions.

20. sunshinedaisy11

sunshinedaisy11 Member

i guess id be about a 7 or 8