How many of you are ACTUAL open hippies?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I don't mean to insult, and I'm not attempting to guage anyone's inner hippyness, but what I am asking is, how many people on here SHOW their hippiness publicly....
    I noticed ther were alot of non hippy people on the old forums who just came to the site cuz we all had good info (pot forum especially) and such and we're a great crowd to talk with.

Now I hate to have expectations for things, but when I'm talking on here and getting replies, I am hoping that it's real hippies that I'm talking with.
    Not someone in some designer jeans who loves all the current music and watches MTV and calls into american idol and disses people "lower than them", I'm not picturing some chick with died blonde hair, silver hoop earrings, a pink baby T and tight low rise gap jeans as a hippy.
    Am I wrong, and that is exactly who I am tlaking to? Or are there people out there who wear tie die all the time, or like non popular music, or have different styles, or pick up garbage in front of classmates ebcuase they care for the earth, etc.
    I know its a sterotype, but for me that steroe type has turned into a hope.
    I don't see anything wrong with peopel of all sorts getting together on here for free speech. But this is a very hippy related website.....
    Honestly, anyone out there who reads the magazines and follows the trends or w/e, just swallows what the media give them?

PS I know some peope who are very current, like they like all the bullshit on the radio, and they have the slang and all that and dress like EVERYONE ELSE b cuz their music videos tell them to wear it, and they are kinda individual inside but dont show it. SO what type of person are you?

on a scale of one to ten how much do you show your (typical) hippyness?
    1 is no hippines ur a conformer. 10 is every thing you wear SCREAMS hippy and ppl dont even have to talk to you to know ur a hippy and you protest, and you think differently, and you are openly different and you dont care about others opinion of you.
    I'd put me between 6.5 and 9.

2. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

i am kind of a hippie. like old music, wear the clothes, not into anything today. those people really piss me off and im sick of them trying to be a hippie. thats why i love this place!

3. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

I'm about 6.5-7.5

4. metro

metro self-banned

hmmm.. I watch MTV on occasion(I don't really like it though), I dye my hair lots of the time(including blonde), wear baby tees, low rise designer jeans BUT I do pick up trash all the time-I've gone to the local nature reserve by myself and carried out 3 large bags of litter,l like diff. kinds of music too and my passion is helping the environment and encouraging peace.
    I don't wear tie dye though. Hmpf... I guess I will not talk to you anymore[​IMG][​IMG].
    I think you are placing too much importance on appearance sweetie, wearing tie dye and having dreads does not really make you a better person.
    love and peace -metro

5. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i am not sure where i stand on the scale, i used to think of myself as a theatre geek but since i graduated i have no theatre class to belong to :) so now i just consider myself eccentric, guess you could call me hippie, other people have since I was in the 4th grade...............

6. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I'm not saying you have to wear the clothes to be the person, but for me, if someone dares to be different, it shows that their personailty is even stronger.

I place little importance in judging someone's personality on their appearance, but when I look at them for the first time, something always pops into my, head, their appearance strikes me.
    And dont act like you dont make immediate, small judgements by looking at someone.

7. metro

metro self-banned

I know what you're getting at, but I just disagree. My major is in Env. Science and me and my classmates and even my professors do not dress like hippies. Isn't being nonjudgemental part of being a hippy? I wear many diff. types of clothing, it would be useless for anyone to try and "judge" my personality by my attire.

8. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

cloths do not make 'the hippie' even though, as you stated, hippie is a stereotype. i'll describe myself for you anyway though.

no, i do not watch mtv and scream over boy bands, i love all types of music, from guns n' roses, to the who, to the doors, etc.

my cloths can range from the traditional gothic, to the 'hippie'

i believe in equal rights for animals, people, etc....

but that's enough about me

9. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

Well, my frineds call me a hippie. I watch mtv just for bam margera. he makes me laugh and i love laughing. i don't like boy bands, but i do enjoy stuff beyond the typical "hippie". i buy clothes only from thrift stores because i hate wasting money on junk. i do have designer clothes (i guess you could call them that) but i didn't find myself until a couple of years ago. i shower often but don't always wash my hair. i never brush my hair unless i have to. i love birkenstocks and flowers. i walk barefoot most of the time. i don't wear makeup or bras unless necessary (like at work sometimes). i do dye my hair blond because i'm naturally dirty blonde and don't like it dark. but it has nothing to do with everyone else. in fact, i put red in it and people copied me. it drives me nuts. so you can call me what you wish. i'll stick with maryanne.

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I fly my 100% freak flag so to speak without trying or so i am told.
    I grew on the first midwest community farm with 60 people when i was you and the values just stayed with me i guess.I do not pay much to it any more but yes i do stick out in a crowd.

11. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

i think a hippy is more than the stereotype appearance we have come to recognize as a hippy. i believe it's someone who not tries to make a difference in the world but doesn't care what people think or say about themselves. someone who is geniunely nice all the time and basically lives in their own little world. someone who isn't all about the trends but follows their lives in their own ways. i think sometimes people are too harsh to judge just simple based on appearance but sometimes it's all we got. i could describe myself but i know who i am and if people want to call me a hippy, it's a compliment, better than hearing other stereotypical names. i say that people can be who they want but just be yourself is your best bet. peace and have a nice night..

12. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

I wear jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing very hippy about that. But I wear what I like, and what is comfortable. I couldn't really careless whether or not I'm dressed like a hippy, or not.
    It's pretty silly,immature and hypocritical to make statements about people who wear designer jeans and baby-doll t-shirts. Do YOU like it when people base their opinion on your tie-dye shirts? Or your dreadlocks? Most likely not.
    People are people when they are stripped of their clothes and their labels, what should it matter to you what they are wearing??

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I wear big dirty-hippie skirts and junk like that....which anyone can do, I guess. It doesn't make me a hippie...it's just how I dress. But I'm always handing out different flyers and brochures to people when I go places or stopping and having big long discussions about what's going on with people I don't even know. You can't just sport the threads...you gotta represent.

I never really considered myself a hippie, but I've accepted it, because every time I talk to someone on the phone or in a BB or just after a short little conversation, folks were usually like, "You damn hippie...." And I was like, "Okay. There is a place for me!"

14. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I'm not ashamed of the name, nor the image, and my ideals speak for themselves. I'm probably most outspoken in my campaigning causes, against the war, supporting Palestinians and promoting equality....

15. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I agree with DylanZepplin. That's how I would describe myself. I like to think I was one of the originals and, HEH, we wore jeans and t-shirts ALL the time, so I think of that as Hippy attire. Plus, it's hippie - hippy means you have big hips.

16. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I'm not really a hippie. I suppose that I look and act like one a lot of the time, but it's not how I define myself and I think purposely stereopyting oneself is the most moronic thing in the world. So I guess I am not fit to be on these forums with all of you REAL hippies.

17. SunFree

SunFree Member

Haha, exactly. I've always acted the crazy way I am, but in the past few years people have generally apparently started picking up the "Hippy Vibe" from me :p , and "Hippy/Dirty Hippy" became my nickname from quite a few around school. Some were trying to get a rise out of me, some were being genuine. Basically, I just dress a little crazy, and try to be nice to everybody, and apparently that's enough to be the token hippy of my high school.

18. HappyHaHaGirl

Haha....they called me "happy hippie" in high school. Good times...

19. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

im hippie by association. i only cut my hair once since i was 17, so everyone always thought i was a hippie. and when i started b uilding Volkswagen busses, it was pretty obvious to people, of course oonce they found out that i was a cronic pot grower, it was all over, and my excellent taste in music, led to me quite a few years on phish tour, where i made my way by trading clothing i made for tickets and food. i dont think being a migrant organic farm worked has anything to do with it, but it seems as though all these farms are owned by old hippies who have the same tastes in life as i do.

when i cut my deadlocks off and started getting my clothes from thrift stores, it was a little less apparent, until my hair grew back and of course the busses were still a deadgive away. well when i sold all the busses i thought i was in the clear, but of course the big pack on my back and mandolin at my side made up for things. all i can really say is "who are the dead, and why are they following me?"

20. HappyHaHaGirl

Does Happy Ha Ha have to slap a bitch?