How long since you've been to church?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lode, Jan 27, 2009.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The last time I attended church Christ and John the Baptist were performing miracles along the shores of the Sea of Galilee :eek:

Hotwater

2. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

Been a fuck of a long time since I have been to church.

It is going to be a hell of a lot longer before I even consider going to a church service.

Overall I do not have good things to say about organized religions.

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

since this wedding I was invited to.. last Spring..

4. marysoul

marysoul Member

a couple of years

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you forget the rules :toetap05: weddings and funerals (which we all regularly attend) don’t count [​IMG]

Hotwater

6. shadowmya

shadowmya Confused

About three months ago. I burst into flames when I walked in so I had to leave though

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

2 weeks. My pastor has long hair and a beard. The little kids think he's Jesus.

8. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

oh then last time I visited some old cathedral.. probably about a couple years ago..

9. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Never been to a church service that wasn't a wedding/funeral.

10. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

A while ago, it's been long time in between than and the time before too. I'm more agnostic that catholic...or at least non practicing so I dont' really go, ever.

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Its been a few weeks :eek:
    I might go this evening.

12. Fuuunia

Fuuunia Members

Um... 14 years? Yes, it could be 14-16.. I'm not a Christian.

13. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

I had a horrible night in Inverness, Scotland. Well, it was one of the best nights of my life but it involved much drinking and public sexual activity with questionable people. In the morning I felt dirty and forlorn, so I took my friend to the Cathedral to attend Sunday Mass. It was such a beautiful, redeeming experience. Everybody was so kind to us and the choir sang such beautiful harmonies. The warmth and the belief in human values in that place really helped calm the turbulence in my soul.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

About eleven years since I attended a church service. After that me and my friends managed to convince our parents not to force us anymore if we'd go to the weekly evening for christian youngsters (dunno how to translate it exactly) which was more fun. After the boring part we always played cone soccer. :cheers2:

15. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Ummm...probably 15, 16 years? About the same amount for my husband as well. I grew up attending many types of religious services (my mother was constantly "searching" but my father was a devote Catholic.) My husband is an ex- Jehovah's Witness.

Our kids have never once been to a church. Sometimes I feel torn over that fact, however I really don't believe that going to church makes someone more of a better person than someone who doesn't attend. It's what you do, it's how you treat others, how you live your life, that's what's really important in the grand scheme of things, right?

My kids aren't ignorant about religion despite how we've chosen to bring them up. When they ask questions due to hearing others talk about their particular religion, we answer honestly, we research if we aren't familiar with the beliefs, and we share that with our children. We educate them on the many beliefs of others, after all, knowledge is power. We feel that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, despite the fact that we may not actually agree with what they teach.

We firmly believe that we want to let our children make their own choices when it comes to choosing or not choosing religion. I think this stems from both of our experiences with religion growing up.

16. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

The sad thing is (and yeah I'm kinda necroposting) that the last time I was in church was roughly 6 weeks ago and I'm not Christian - I had to go.

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Jai, why did you HAVE to go ?

18. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I think last year I was late for work, and it was raining really bad so I snuck in St. Patrick's Cathedral for a couple minutes.

Most times I've been to a church was to see the architecture, since I'm definitely not very fond of weddings.

19. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

Pour l'ecole. :(
    T'was the Christmas assembly.

It wasn't actually that bad - we just made a lot of jokes at Christianity, no offence. I'd have to say the bit that bugged me the most was when the woman who did the visitor books etc in the church went to make a speech at how it was such a wonderful turnout. :rolleyes:

20. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

It's been 20 years at least. That's the beauty of not being a teen living at home with parents who want you to attend church.

I wish I could believe that all my problems are in someone else's hands, but I just can't. I can't imagine existing for the sole purpose of being part of someone's Barbie Doll collection.