How long do we have left?

Discussion in 'Endangered Species and Ecosystems' started by AncientHippie, May 24, 2007.

1. AncientHippie

AncientHippie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You hear about all the things that might/could/will cause all hell to break loose:

• Global warming
    • Nuclear war
    • Pending ice age
    • Bees are vanishing, possible food shortage
    • The phrophets say so
    • The bible says so
    • BraveSirRubin is the anti-christ, and thats a sure sign
    • etc
    • etc
    So the question is:
    How long do we have left till the shit hits the fan?

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Mother Nature will find a way to counteract the detrimental effects of man's rush to greed. The fear that we feed each other is only meant to advance the profits of a few.

3. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I give myself another fi............ *computer explodes and the world ends... it's the terrorists*

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Bees aren't vanishing around here, if anything my winters are colder than ever, as to the bible and other politicians I don't hold with them.

5. lithium

lithium frogboy

You forgot peak oil. That will probably hit first...

6. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

I'll say 3 days. Have fun!

7. Pronatalist

Pronatalist Banned

But personal observations don't count. You are supposed to just take their word for it. (sarcasm)

8. poopzilla33

poopzilla33 Member

yeah the population will be halved and the world will have an archiac revival starting in 2012

9. JibberJabber

JibberJabber Member

I'm going with the pending ice age, because it's clearly depicted as becoming a reality in Battlefield 2142.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is no absolute answer other then that we absolutely don't know.

what we do know, is that we are collectively screwing ourselves and we absolutely don't have to. not even to retain our comfort zones, much of which we could survive without and will more likely end up having to if we keep doing so.

=^^=
    .../\...

11. Earth_Root

Earth_Root Member

well the thing is Mother Earth is fully capable of overcoming all these man-made atrocities, whether we mine all of her oil, or pollute her air with carbon emissions or kill all her beautiful creatures doesn't matter. Mother Earth will survive, the world will keep turning, the sun will keep shining. The thing is in order to rebalance itself the Earth will have to go through many changes, changes which may deem the world unfit for humans. I think if we as a human race are going to perish it'll be because of Mother Earth trying to survive not because of the end of the world.

12. Agwé

Agwé Member

By the Glaciological, definition of "ice age", we're actually currently in one.

How long do we have left? 100 days to a million years, somewhere in that span I think.

If you ask me, the shit has already hit the proverbial fan, and it began with industrialization.

Outside of mass nuclear war, something confusing to do with space, or some kind of medical outbreak though, I don't think humans will be extinct for a very long time. Sure, huge chunks will drown, starve, kill each other off with wars etc. But, I'm thinking that it will be a long long time before we're entirely wiped out due to our behaviour.

I think the real question is, how long until life is almost unbearable to live in the conditions we will create for ourselves.

13. Chris Jury

Chris Jury Member

Obviously we don't know, but probably a very long time. Even if absolute disasters occur--the kinds of things we don't want to even think about--some humans will likely survive. Not everybody will, and if our worst nightmares come true a lot of folks won't, but some will, and the species will go on.