How Long Can You Sit And Do Nothing For?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gangster Guru, Mar 20, 2017.

1. bumpy52

bumpy52 Members

Decades ago when my meditation practice was in high gear I could sit in meditation for over an hour.
    Now about 20 minutes is my max, and I only do it maybe once a month.

Getting my practice back is on my to-do list.

1 person likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the good thing about any nation's propaganda channel, that's from a different country then you live in, is they'll tell you things about your own country no one else will.
    i don't regularly watch television at all, but i see things from television on you tube.
    actually i'd rather see things made by joe ordinary person in odd parts of the world then any media thing at all on you tube and the like.
    i remember when the whole point of the internet was not needing corporate resources, just a willingness and interest in learning how to make things,
    images and words and express ideas, that maybe not everyone else is already thinking or talking about.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

If you can filter out the propaganda, RT is pretty good for documentaries from around the World. Also Max Kaiser for a humorous yet impassioned take on the Banksters, and the general level of intelligence is higher than most other news channels. Also, they do have some hot presenters.

1 person likes this.
  4. NotGayCharlie

NotGayCharlie Banned

I can sit still and practice living in the moment. Mindfullness they call it. It's all about embracing and acknowledging everything in your surroundings, and the key to living each day in it's fullest.

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I can sit for hours while watch something interesting on TV, but couldn’t last 5 minutes sitting alone outside on a lawn chair in the sun, I’d get bored.

Hotwater

6. fundoo

fundoo Members

it's an addiction! to the OP (post and you ha!) I absolutely cannot do this these days. It's awful! I'm practically glued to this internet. I take a break for a few minutes of sunshine, for cooking and cleaning, but in between it all, I'm right back plugged in. My particular weakness if FB, but so when i need a break from that, it's everything else. At least this place is entertaining most of the time, but everywhere else is just dull dull dull and stuff I need to do here is as well. It's bad. Shouldn't be living this way. :/ ...

well, ha! i guess it doesn't help that one of my hobbies is writing, and that now requires the computer. It's so funny how I can't just do the pen and paper anymore...i think it's because I don't want my crap lying around for others to pick it up and read it! :D

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'd sit in the shade, and anyway, i wouldn't be doing nothing, my mind is always thinking of ways to make things look how i like seeing them. of course i do get antsy to get up and actually go about doing so when i have the good fortune to have the tools it would take to do, whatever thing had crossed my mind. but i do like seeing the things inside my head that cross my mind when i still my internal dialogue.
    that being my nature, its five minuets of watching 98% of anything on tv, or having to hear anyone's mundane conversation that bores me.

people are boring. if i could have a place where i could have a garden, i'd have some half inch to the foot scale models of narrow gauge trains, winding their way between the miniature plants. when my wife was alive we were able to live in a place that had like one planter box size of a garden space of our own, about five by 17 feet. just big enough to do so. i've still got the track and some rolling stock to do that, but it is very uncertain i will ever again have a place for a garden for the rest of what remains of my life.

well i do like to rest, and creatively daydream. but mundaneness robs and distracts me from doing so, which is why i avoid it, but undisturbed meditation does not.
    but i also like to turn my 'daydreams' into things other people can see and share with each other. that's for me, the real gratification.
    that and seeing things that give me new ideas. (and you won't get that from television. at least i don't).

8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Most people seem to find not doing a lot harder than doing.

Probably a defect in the culture that tells people they need to be constantly engaged in activity or they're failing somehow.

1 person likes this.
  9. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I am able to stay in bed for a bit or longer after waking without any electronics on. This can be depressing though.

Other than that, I'm pretty much doing some activity all my waking hours.

I also think sometimes at night while waiting for sleep in bed that I'm able to think sort-a good.

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm pretty hyper, neurotic, and compulsive. Sitting around doing nothing ain't really my thing

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I find I can sit and think better now, and started writing too. But I still need my tobacco or vape, and coffee. I also need the news on in the background, with the sound down.