How Interesting Are You?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by BraveSirRubin, Oct 1, 2013.

1. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I think it is a form of giving up, guilt, insecurity like that. If you think about kids, they love to tell people everything they've experienced with enthusiasm, that's why there was that show "kids say the darndest things" they love to share their stories...at some point some kids get disillusioned...in some cases they come up and down with their interest in life or themselves and how interesting they are to others probably reflects that.

I know there was a time when I was unable, uninterested in talking to anyone, especially my family and maybe that is the person my family remembers me as. I didn't have anything to talk about except how upset and sad and angry I was with them, so naturally they didn't want to talk about that or even pay attention to me. My viewpoint was that of the victim and the self-righteous, so even though I had other interesting things going on that may have been of interest to people it was all tinted with that mentality I had.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I don't know what to consider myself. I know that other people consider me interesting. I'm a foreigner in the states, so I easily stand out anyhow. I do know that other people consider me interesting. Yet, like you, I am relatively introverted, and honestly, mostly disinterested in people. I do not try to be interesting, that's for sure.

3. usedtobehoney

Also YouFreeMe, I think you have a point. People aren't often in invested in trying to get to know people. Often people are attracted to the ones who are so loud and transparent, they don't have to do any work, they can just kind of live vicariously through the loudest, most boisterous person.

I am pretty reserved myself, but since I am not shy when I find interesting people, usually people who are more mysterious(because I'm not really attracted to loud, attention whore types), then I tend to connect with people one-to-one in a more comfortable way for me.

I don't like small talk, but I love conversation, and I like to listen to stories that weren't put together just for the person to get attention. I really like when people share things that are personal and important to them, that is more interesting to me, then the kinds of stories you'd tell about yourself if you were on a talk show or late night show.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

To follow that, would you then say that it's up to people themselves whether they're interesting or not? Can people decide to become interesting, or at least show themselves as interesting to the world? Or is it for the world to decide if people are interesting, independently of how people present themselves?

5. usedtobehoney

Well...sure you can decide if you're interesting or not, but if absolutely no one agrees you're probably a hermit or delusional.

I do think if you decide to become interesting, it has to be based in things that are authentically of interest to you. (and I'm not talking to you bsr, just whoever)

It might be a bit of a popularity contest but it's something that can't be uniformly judged, because more people might think you're interesting after you're dead, as happens often, it's just that those people either didn't know you or didn't know how interesting you were until that point that they discovered it.

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I have far too many responsibilities to be very interesting at the moment.

7. usedtobehoney

That makes you the most interesting person here daisymae!

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Very interesting.

How about someone like Kim Kardashian or whatever, who somehow managed to become interesting not based on things that authentically interest her, but based on building some sort of a cult-of-personality type of deal?

Also, it seems to me that people only consider others interesting after their death because they only seem to gain some popularity then. In a sense, it seems like it takes a long time for the fact that you're interesting to circulate among the public. This seems to no longer be the case, with the emergence of popular media. People become overnight celebrities all of the time. I find it hard to believe that people in our generation will be found interesting after their death, as it's too easy to publicize yourself while you're alive these days and information simply moves too fast.

9. usedtobehoney

I don't know...I think maybe the socialite celebrities really are interested in making more money, flashing the money they have and fucking other celebrities...I don't know if all the others who are interested in these people are really interested or just glued to the screen.

As for whether people will care about us after we die. Well I think maybe it will be relatives of ours, or maybe because of extraordinary things we've done(like things we've created, books, art, music, etc.) or maybe because of secrets we managed to keep that didn't come out until after we died or just how we dealt with the tragedies of our times.

I don't know, I find my ancestors or even recently deceased relatives to be very interesting.

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

That's still not saying much, I'm afraid ;)

11. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

First may I see your warrant or badge and are you going to read me my Miranda rights before we begin? If not you may file a FOIA request with any of 4 or 5 government agencies.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My experience as an introvert has been that people actually find me more interesting than I really am because people think I am mysterious.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Not very interesting at all...

14. i_was_in_shroom_land

i_was_in_shroom_land Shroomier than you!

sir rubin.. i think alcohol can fix that.. lol

15. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Nothing interesting can come out of lower management.

People do say that I am interesting, but I don't get it. I am about to make myself more interesting though.

16. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

17. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I'm pretty friggin cool and tomorrow I'll be better than today.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think I'm interesting. I've never had a problem talking to people about whatever and I'm a little bit random so most people stick around to talk to me. I can talk to any age group, that doesn't bother me, maybe younger people under 20 are kinda just not really my entertainment but anyone older, shoot, we down. I was more interesting living in Australia cause I was something different who grew up elsewhere but I've been around the continents and done many things that make my stories interesting to people. I dunno.

19. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Compared to me,election broadcasts seem positively riveting.

20. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Ohhhh this is embarassing to explain...those of us who have been posting here for 10+ years (I remember BSR's posts since at least 2003), as far as I can remember the rep points were NOT there at the start. I think I had about 5000 posts on my prev user name with no rep. This user name I have had for the past 9 years and I still don't have 2000 posts OR lots of rep. :)

How often you post on HF also really doesn't indicate how interesting you are...in fact it probably indicates the opposite.