How has the recession affected you?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hiptastic, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

We all read about the recession, but I've had enough statistics. I wanted to hear how people are actually feeling it. Preferably you yourself, maybe family or close friends, but not "some guy".

Lost a job? At risk of foreclosure? Do you own a business that is feeling the slowdown?

If its not too personal of course... not tryin' to pry or anything...

2. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I got shuffled at work in my company. They culled hours in my department and eliminated all the part-time positions. So I moved to another department thankfully and now this week I work 6am-11am shifts. JOY!

Also, the recession has made any real stern objections to the Harper government legislation seem all like a pipe dream.

3. Aristartle

I was working for Lexus & Toyota before I got shuffled.

My sister worked in accounts payable/receivable for an auto parts company and she lost her job a week ago. About two weeks ago my aunt who worked in a management position, who voted against unionizing last month, for a freight line automotive company was laid off.

Ontario automotive industry is taking a beating right now, but we'll be okay.

4. raz5

raz5 زینب

i can't get a job, and my in my household we never have any food we live off of ramen and cereal a lot, and i can't afford to drive

5. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Haven't really felt it all that much. Just a cut-back in driving. But I also live at home and just go to school every day. Don't really have to worry about much else.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I've had my hours cut back... cannot afford what I used to and I have always lived minimalistically to begin with. I don't have credit card debt like most people, which is at least redeeming.

7. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

I can't find a job anywhere...but that's nothing compared to my dad losing $300,000 in the stock market. I told him for years to get his money out of there...

8. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

As much as I hate to say it in light of what other people are experiencing, it's not affected me at all.

My job is secure*, my company keeps expanding (new hires, build-outs, more business contracts), my rent is still what it was 10 years ago ($600 /mo for a large apartment with 2 brs and an extra little room for my office), I own my 1989 Toyota Corolla outright, great car = few repairs. I have a modest savings and without touching that save for any unforseen emergency (got rear-ended a year ago), I still have enough 'disposable income' to get my retro/MCM crap off eBay or buy myself some bling if the mood strikes. Got myself a spiffy new Gateway with my Christmas bonus as well. I own 3 cats (think: vet bills/food), and have a mate who is a painter in Maine. He's out of work 3-4 months during winter. And still, this house floats.

The only place where I've really noticed a bite in purchasing is at the grocery store. It's nearly like the lowest price of any one item you need is at the least, $2.00. It just goes up from there. Especially if you're inclined to buy organic.

*doesn't mean with all the hype on TV, that I don't WORRY about it. But I shouldn't. It's just in my nature to worry.

9. Aristartle

Do you still have student loans?

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I never took out student loans. My parents paid for it.

11. Aristartle

Wow. You're very lucky.

12. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

well ill be alright even if i loos power only becase the house that im legaly contracted to provide water to is in forcloser! still have a little in the bank HAHA! so im good fore the next month, after that im screwd! i had a dream of producing boobles here that i could sell ,somutch for dreams!! absolutly NO work available! plenty of tools but nothing to do with them! next month or 2 i will be hauling water in jugs, as long as the volenterr fire department keeps paying their electric? time to batten down the hatches! ahhwell sutch is life!

13. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If you think you can make it through this, add cancer or some other catastrophe into the mix...

For me, the downturn has meant a harsh slashing of employee benefits- I went from no deductible to a $3,000 deductible for health insurance. My wife has cancer, so we have an extra three thousand dollars to cough up at the worst possible time. My greatest worry is losing job/insurance in the middle of her cancer treatment, the cost of which has already passed a hundred grand and has involved brain surgery, radiation therapy, and multiple rounds of chemotherapy.

Layoffs at work are large and have already been announced (New York office closing altogether) but I'm not affected by that in this round of layoffs, at least.

My only concern is care for my wife, and the minimization of her pain, no other plans/goals/dreams matter a fucking bit to me.

14. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I haven't really dug out from the last one. So in a sense socially it's been a positive. Many who looked down on my lack of monetary status are now approaching my condition. I've learned to scrape by, they'll have to learn those lessons.

15. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

im sorry to hear about your wife! my sypathies go out to you!

16. gardener

Same here Sun Lion. Hoping for a good outcome for your wife.

17. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

i'm living on student loans right now... is the economy effecting them in some way?

18. gardener

It's affecting them (Pell Grants) in California by making them non-existent or soon to be.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=6636740

Probably safe this semester or quarter, but next quarter is in question.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget17-2009jan17,0,4472460.story

19. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

SunLion, I'm so sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. I lost my Mom to cancer after a three year battle in 1997. My heart goes out to the both of you. I'll keep you both in my good thoughts, if that means anything. ::hugs::

20. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

We have only been effected in positive ways. We owe nothing to anyone, and in learning how to live on virtually nothing my whole life, I find more and more peace of mind knowing I'm not ADDICTED to the monetary system.
    Friends living in Oregon were in foreclosure and so they came here to live and help out on the farm, so now we can get a lot more done here than before.