How has the price of gasoline

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Duncan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I can't get a job due to the gas prices.

I never worked in high school because I was too busy with school and volunteering stuff, not to mention I never had a car. My parents offered to drive me to work so I applied everywhere within 5 miles- but nowhere is hiring. I got a job through a friend about 10 miles away, but since my parents won't let me take the car for long periods of time, it would be a 40 mile commute each way with my dad dropping me off, going home, then coming to pick me up again.

It sucks living in the suburbs where it's not rural enough to bike or walk safely but it's not urban enough to have any kind of public transportation.

2. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The U.S. was spoiled with $1/gallon gas for a long time. I still try to drive less now and do more errands on one trip. Keep your tires inflated properly. That has about the biggest effect on your fuel economy.

Back in the 70s when gas prices were high, the government used to run public service ads encouraging people to conserve and maintain their cars properly. Today we have none of this. Bush simply says 'we're addicted to oil' and that's that. The only time he ever uttered the word 'conserve' was right after the Katrina disaster when gas prices were getting near $4/gallon. You could hear the cringing in his voice, being so unwilling to say it.

3. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I don't drive or have a Car. But the cost of fuels these days are causing the cost of electricity, water, and natural gas to rise as well. Which does effect me directly. My rent goes up because ot costs more to cool/heat the place, Food delivery goes up because they pay more in gas to deliver. That's how it effects me.

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

The current administration isn't coming out to conserve because that would hurt their their energy friend lobbyists, that want to increase their profits. They would rather pollute our coasts and interior national environments to gain even bigger profits. Woe be to those that promote conserving on energy, that would reduce their profits, and possible gains in drilling developing protected areas of our country.

5. HatEd

HatEd Member

I haven't drove in about two and a half years. I give friends gas money but I normally don't go more than a couple miles from home.That way walking isn't a problem. The only time I even really need to use a car is once a month when I go a supermarket.

6. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

I live on the westside of Indinapolis, I must drive to the northeast side to get to work so, I spend at least 100 dollars a week in gas.

and thats reGODdamndiculous!

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The price of gas just dropped greatly in the U.S., lowest for the past 6 months. Wonder what it will be just before the November Congressional elections.

8. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

It's dropped significantly in Australia too over the past week or so.

There was a "Peak Oil" segment on 60 Minutes on Sunday and they predicted prices would climb to $2/litre (ie a LOT) by the end of the year.