How has the price of gasoline

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Duncan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

affected your life? Forgive me for being presumptuous. I have a car and live in a pseudo-suburb of Los Angeles. Bus riding is possible, but not quite practical. I'd probably be better off with a bicycle... if I weren't so anal about carrying lots of STUFF with me.
    I find that I stay very close to home (less than a 15 mile radius) and am very careful about making excess trips. I also walk when I can.

2. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

I already drive about 25 miles one way to work, so I try to limit all other driving as much as possible- stopped running here and there on my lunch break (also saves money spent on stuff I didnt need anyway), incorporate errands into other trips, plan ahead to avoid running to the store, go as little as possible on the weekends, stay home mostly. Cut the grass less, let it grow.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i've embraced the idea of voluntary simplicity for a long time, so i live close to work, i shop in my community whenever possible, combine errands into one trip, etc. i put a half tank into my car about twice a month. i dont feel very affected by the price of gas. my cost of living is always less than my income, and i only work half-time. :)

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I live in an area with no public transport. We are also close to nothing within walking distance, save a Target and a dog food store and a pawn shop. (Don't ask ;) )

My kids have to get around, as most of their friends also do not live withing walking distance, there are no children Sage's age on our "Island" which is surrounded by railroad tracks ect, and two of my kids drive ect. I also have to drive to see my clients. I have shortened the distance I will drive to see clients, and raised my rates, for gas alone. I am also not doing free weight checks in client's homes, like I used to. They have to come to me, or pay the non client weight check rate.

We will probably be spending less time at the zoo and the Museums in Chicago, which is a pity, as these are good things to do on summer vacation.

Bear turned the garden over, all 15 beds or so by hand, instead of using the gas powered tiller, and didn't use the snow blower last winter.

Amazing, we have spoiled teenage boys in our neighborhood, and they spend all day riding around on these little minibikes, which must use up a lot of gas, and the jerk who lives on the road behind be thinks it is an excellent idea to run his barely running Harley for an hour or two, every Saturday night at about 1:00 AM, for reasons unknown. Do these people look at what theyare paying for gas? How much gas does it take to rev a Harley for an hour or two?

5. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

I don't buy gas, but the things I do that involve gas haven't really changed. Mostly lawn mowin'.

6. Kris

Kris Visitor

Luckly I live in the city (my signature speaks for me), so I don't have to go anywhere in a car. I ride my bicycle due to being inner city, and will take the bus when I must. Taking the bus is nice, beacuse the buses here all have bike racks on the front I can put my bicycle on.

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Harleys and mini bikes don't really use all that much gas, but it is a waste. Perhaps reving his Harey gives him some respite from the stresses of life. I find I only drive when I have to, I can put the money to better use. I have friends though that will drive eighty miles just to go shopping...that's an abuse, or just plain waste.

8. TheStaticHippy

TheStaticHippy Member

9. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There isnt a job over $6 an hour closer than 40 miles here....so it affects me very much.

10. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

I live 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store, and there is no public transportation here whatsoever-the net result of that is that I don't drive anywhere unless I absolutely have to.

11. wisefusion563

wisefusion563 Member

12. infoterror

infoterror Member

Totally positively. Yuppies are sticking to their city condos, soccer moms to the suburbs, and ghetto dwellers to the ghetto, which means my life is markedly better.

13. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

I'm working on getting rid of my truck for a hybrid- maybe Honda civic

14. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Gas is $3.00/gallon here....being from a non-wealthy, barely making it kinda family....it means I get to go places even less than I did before.
    I used to run to the city everyday to visit my dad and BF, now I don't even get to go just up the road to the store (unless I walk, which I have been doing) once a week.
    My stepdad works an hour and a half away from home....so he's dropping a good $80.00/week on gas alone. We drive a '93 something....one of those big 'old person' cars that have huge gas tanks and not that great gas mileage....I call it the land yacht.

15. 7point65

7point65 Banned

I have to drive 260 miles every week round trip to get to my job. Thats down from 400 miles a week when I first started working there. Back then gas was a buck a gallon. Same job for 8 years. I take the back roads and take it easy. No leadfootin' it and no road rage...unless you're behind me and can't stand doin' the speed limit. I have always loved "just cruisin' in my truck". Needless to say there ain't too much of that these days...I do my chores on the way home from work to save my gas so I can get to work. I don't do much on my days off. Gas sure was way cheaper before that damn war started in Iraqistan or Afganistan or Screwtheworkinmanistan wasn't it? Peace 7.65

16. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

I'm definitely driving slower til I can get a better mpg vehicle. People are whizzing by me on my way to work and home, like they have all the money in the world to spend on gas and the huge suv's they are driving. :$

17. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

I've been riding my bike a lot more. And it'll be coming with me back to Fargo when I return to college. There will be markedly less driving around Fargo for me, and I'll just be biking back and forth from the small food store once in a while. Until it snows, then I may just bum rides from people who have more money than I...

18. Acorn

Acorn Member

i dont have a car anymore, so i dont really use gas. i live in the country but im starting to bike places. its really nice though, i get to take in the scenery and get some exersize.

19. wrat

wrat Member

it really hasnt gas would have to be upwards of $7-8 to really affect much of what we do

20. Runnin' Blue

Runnin' Blue Member

still cheap at $3 gal and I drive a truck shit man I spend more on food or drink or smoke, Hey you pay $15 for a pizza, now look what they pay for gas overseas been a buck a liter in most countries for awhile now so $3 is not all that bad.