How Hard ?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by come_do_drawrings, Apr 26, 2007.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I am EXTREMELY hard on myself...Have been for as long as I remember. I think in general, we are our own worst enemies...I think Hitler is my inner dialogue sometimes.

I'm not very hard on anyone else...well...I think I've been hard on one person and it got me absolutely nowhere, so I figure I've learned my lesson on that. I, too, like someone else said, when someone disappoints me, I tend to take it out on myself and blame it on my faults and imperfections.

2. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

I am my own worst enemy....I'm extremely hard on myself and it doesn't help having relatives that like to tell me my faults as well. But I don't expect much out of other people.....I used to. I've been let down too much to expect much out of others.

3. come_do_drawrings

come_do_drawrings Jaime

for those of us that are hard on ourselves.... Do you think it's a good thing or no?
    Does it help you to strive to be the best you can or you just dragging yourself through the mud?

4. DancerAnnie

I think it depends...most people see it as dragging myself through the mud, but for me, I think it's forcing myself to be the best I can be.

In general, I think I torture myself too much...so that's definitely a bad thing...but, if I don't force myself to do everything 100%, I feel really bad about myself....it's a double-edged sword for sure.

5. come_do_drawrings

come_do_drawrings Jaime

You said it! That's me pretty much to a T

sad really... I hate beating up on myself but I feel like if I don't do it then I would probably let those festering character flaws get the better of me

6. DancerAnnie

It definitely keeps ourselves in check, for sure.

7. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I'm the same exact way.

Sometimes I can step back and look at what I'm doing, striving for a perfection that is next to impossible and think geez, just relax will you, you don't have to be perfect dammit! Sometimes it can drive me to tears of frustration and overwhelming stress because I WANT to be able to stop being so hard on myself, yet I just can't. And then I think, hey, this drive is what makes me who I am, and many times, I do above and beyond what is expected, so in some ways, is it really that bad?

Then again, I'm also obsessive compulsive, so that could have something to do with it.

8. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I"m very hard on myself. If I don't succeed, I really take it out on myself.