How far could it go…would a coup be possible?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Just some musing...

How far do you think the police and army would go in following Trump does he have enough support there to actually attempt a coup?

I mean he is the Commander and Chief – (for the moment and does he remain so during a transition?) and a lot of police officers and military lean to the right yes they are meant to uphold the constitution but it seems to me that many on the right only give lip service to that anyway and many right wingers over the years have told me that the US is a republic not a democracy implying they wouldn’t really mind if the democratic part was dropped if say a political group or leader was in control that they liked.

So…

It would be a shit storm certainly and someone would have to be…let’s say unstable or desperate to do it.

I mean think about it at the moment Trump is protected by office and a political grouping that is in control of the state, what happens when that stops?

I heard one commentator say that if Trump stops been in office he will find himself in court for years and likely to get fined unto bankruptcy and/or facing jail time, that possibility could make someone desperate and unstable.

So…. how far do you think the police and army would go in following Trump does he have enough support there to actually attempt a coup?

2. wrat

wrat Member

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well my fear is that he declares martial law across the US as a pathway to his coup. I believe he will not leave the White House unless forced out physically.

My desire is to see him strung upside down in a public square like Musssolini. He needs some karma.

erofant and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I don't think the person would necessarily be unstable. They might be a patriot.

I disagree

I think the coup would be against trump. joint chiefs might do it temporarily. just long enough to remove trump, and pence.

I agree

5. wrat

wrat Member

He simply does not have the backing of enough cops/military/people to pull of a coup He lost the popular vote remember

6. Dax

Dax Members

This is America in case you confused ... not Africa.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The only constant --is change. And surprise, I might add. Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow do.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think it's quite possible Trump will claim election fraud by his opponents, and try to invoke emergency powers to keep himself in office. He was getting ready to declare election fraud last time. There is also a component of the armed and dangerous right that is eager for armed confrontation--like the goons who showed up at statehouses to try to challenge Covid-19 restrictions. These included the Three Percenters, who claim that only three percent of the population, bearing arms, brought about the American Revolution. I think they'll fail, and Republicans will be out of favor for the next two decades. I can dream, can't I?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    scratcho and Flagme15 like this.
  9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Exactly!

If push comes to shove the military will split. One one side is low ranking soldiers without the security clearance to get the good weapons. On on the others is those with clearance and most likely the UN's forces.

They would like us to come back and would help. Treaties work both ways. America has numerous allies and Trump has pissed them all off. If they care for freedom and America's economic value they will support the army that goes against him.

It's pure fantasy that the military is 100% Republican. It's a dream the party has long had. It's an extension of their obsession with machismo culture. Of course only a real alpha independent men like they all are would join they think.

wrat likes this.
  10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Some other views

The point being that steps have been taken if they yet accepted by those that should be saying no other steps are taken Trump is far down that path and is now seeing if he can get away with using the military to suppress protest/civil unrest.

The question is how many steps can he take before January?

scratcho and Tishomingo like this.
  11. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

The other problem for trump, and his minions is that forty percent of the military is composed of POC.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  12. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

13. scratcho

IMO, the US was/has always been admired by people from around the world. Common folk from all countries could dream about being here and having a chance to live the so called American dream. The poor, the downtrodden, the abused----saw the US as a nation of laws--of equity--a chance to perhaps get themselves free from oppression or at least to escape the the feckless governments under which they lived that left them exposed to the constant ,everyday lawlessness in their own countries. The sight of Lady Liberty meant something real in the hearts of people everywhere. The saving of the world when the maniacs threatened us all and the understanding that we were the only country that could have actually done it.
    Of course, the dream was only partially true. Some of our leaders have done and continue to do things that have been and are inimical to the citizens of other countries and to the citizens of our own country as well. We are hard pressed to face our own failings. The current situations in our legislatures top to bottom are showing some real strains and failures of heart and mind---failures to remember what this country has meant to the world--the grand experiment, as it has been called. Government by and for the people---meaning ALL of us.

Now our economic system is twisted far out of shape, our government is run by those who are least equipped to run it for the majority of our citizens, we are now facing a pandemic that is taking a heavy toll on most everyone and again--is being "handled "by those least able to face such in a sensible, timely manner and our original sin, as it were, the continuing racism that seems never to end, is now brought to the forefront. Fellow citizens---we are in all of this up to our necks! All of us. What we do and when we do it is going to be felt worldwide in this coming year and long after. Are we going to make an attempt to level the playing fields of our economy? Of our racial divides? To better our relationships with our fellow humans from other areas of the globe? To gain some modicum of peace in the world? To rein in the self aggrandizing warmongers that will never be interested in a peaceful world? Can the United States of America be admired again for the good it can do? Can it be done? Does it matter? What's your answer?

14. scratcho

Bump--comments?

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

With the way things are headed? Not likely...

Yeah... It matters.

scratcho likes this.
  16. wrat

wrat Member

you are delusional if you think the playfield was EVER level or fair....people from all over still strive to get here they are willing to DIE to cross the ocean to get here ..fact is we will either falter or rise again there are those who would like nothing more to see the US fall and we are playing right into their hands with our never ending quest for cheap goods, cheap food, cheap labor , quality aint cheap that goes for life as well

scratcho likes this.
  17. scratcho

Yes, I know. However my points about how people have felt around the world about us still stand. Millions have come here over the centuries and done well for themselves. Did I not mention how out of balance economics are, particularly now. Think I did. That we can live with and sometimes do business with brutal dictators over the interests of their citizens was implied when I mentioned ïnimical to citizens of other countries? Delusional? OK. You say so.

In fact, I think capitalism is not the way the earth should be run. My comments were in the context of what is, not what should be.

18. erofant

erofant Members

Out of balance economics????
    Why do you think that the whole world became "globalized" ??? Because the big corporations of the U.S. wanted to turn the whole world into a giant labor pool. The countries with the lowest "bidders" for cheap labor would get the factories. Combine that with weak or non-existent environmental laws - and you had capitalist utopia. China is particularly attractive because their COMMUNIST DICTATOR Xi Jinping's military will CRUSH any worker uprising for better pay or workplace safety - so the corporations have built-in goons to quell any voices brave enough to speak up.

Once the U.S. corporations rushed into COMMUNIST CHINA and other poverty-stricken countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Mexico, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Honduras, The Dominican Republic, etc., other countries followed suit and set up their factories in those places. It's why the wealth gap keeps getting larger & larger & larger. The people in those other countries are working for dirt-poor pay and no benefits. Manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. that paid well enough to raise families in a decent standard of living - not rich by any means - those are gone for the most part. Millions of good-paying jobs are gone for good - or at least in our lifetimes and probably our kids' lifetimes.

So for all those who think Rump is going to single-handedly bring back all those factories and good paying jobs ………………. Santa Claus will have a loaded Mercedes in your driveway in the morning. If you want those factories to come back to the U.S. just agree to work for $2 per day with no safety regulations, no benefits, forget retirement, and let those corporations pollute the hell out of the land, air & water. Get used to 12 to 16 hour work days too, and no weekends. You'll have to under-bid those 6 to 12 year-old's who work in those factories now over there. I heard with my own ears, an IBM manager say,"why should I hire engineers here to do the work that a guy in India can do for 1/10th the pay? And he'll work 22 hours a day to get the job done!! " I heard him say it !!!!

Do you see now and understand how big corporations have F- ed over workers on a world-wide basis??? FORGET GOOD PAYING manufacturing jobs coming back to the U.S. Give it up. Big corporations are already making plans to move factories from China ( because of trade tensions ) to Mexico, Malaysia, India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Central American countries ……………………. NOT TO THE U.S. !!!! Does anyone read or watch the news???? Read any business magazines????

scratcho likes this.
  19. Visexual

Visexual Member

From what I've seen on the Special Ops sites that I belong to, the military, both active, retired, and veterans, mostly support this draft-dodger piece of shit. I've been glad to see General Mattis and other Generals finally speaking out but I suspect they'll lose the respect they had before.

And all that the politicians in Washington really care about is reelection and they know that Trump holds the vote of about 30% of the country. Even if he is ousted in November and, actually, does agree to leave his white fortress, he'll still control those votes.

scratcho and Balbus like this.
  20. wrat

wrat Member

And this supports the problem of the never ending quest for cheap goods, cheap labor , cheap food, quality anything is not cheap and until people realize that the cheapest probably aint the best well ........