How does poetry reflect your subconscious?

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 14, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I was just wondering how our poetry shows who we are...
    Because people seem to think someone is gothic because they write poems about death, or dark things are included in their work...

So do we write who we really are?

2. tourmaline

tourmaline Member

i would say, that depends on how you write -
    sometimes i write these rly obscure pieces that i don't even understand, i belive that is something from my unconcious surfacing in the words that come to me
    some people write about other things, i guess the things they choose to write about reflects who they are....

ps. I LOVE BJORK!

3. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Poetry is very cathartic. It is a release. Sometimes we have dark feelings that need to be released. Its better than keeping it in, right? Your young hey. You should have seen some of my teen angst poetry, very dark, very depressing. It is reflective of the state you are in when you write it, not necessarily on you as a person.

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

some do and some dont!

dark things are apart of life.

5. ripple23

ripple23 Member

ALL poets write and think about death, their death or death in general. it has nothing to do with being gothic! it has to do with living!

6. fizzy_elf

fizzy_elf Member

i write about what ever i'm feeling at the time. obvious i guess. usually its about peaceful stuff, hopes and dreams. now and again it can be dark if i'm feeling bitter though.....:)

7. sonik

sonik Member

My attempts at poerty have been mostly horrific. So If I write any its usually comedic Haikus!

Reading poetry though can be quite enjoyable. I prefer Blake & Donne.

:cool:

8. osiris

osiris Senior Member

pure spirit emanation. it certainly must be, nothing more, than what we are, and directs us, to no other place, but what we become.

much love :)

9. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

with mirrors and lights.

Like laser tag,
    dark and cloudy and many directions,
    people running around corners,
    and into each other.
    punk kids; you're not allowed to throw 'em into the wall 'cause you'll go to jail.
    good people need no law!

10. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

lmfao vanastral

11. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

my poetry definetly reflects my subconcious. i don't really write with any particular idea in mind, but then i can go back and read it after, and i can tell how it relates to my life.

12. gesone

gesone Member

I totally agree with Crystaleyez about the age thing. I too wrote some really depressive stuff when I was your age. Now that I'm older and have learned to surpass a lot of obstacles in my life, my state of mood has changed drastically and my topic choices for writing poetry has matured in all aspects. Poetry is really an excellent outlet to channel your emotions and if you write gothic or romantic I believe it is all about the mood you are in, unless of course you have a specific project in mind. So don't worry, you'll be alright. Keep writing!

13. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

Sometimes I write because I am in the mood to create something beautiful. Sometimes I write because I want to challenge myself. Sometimes I write because I need to. I'll pick up a pen, and it takes control of me or something. I cannot stop writing and I get going very very fast. My hand will start to hurt, but I still cannot stop, and then when I am finished, the pen just falls from my hand. It's sort of weird. Sometimes when I re-read what I just wrote, I have no clue what I was talking about, but I always feel better. I don't think it really matters if your poetry is dark or not. Everyone has tons of different sides to them, and poetry is expression.

14. stella420blue

stella420blue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

my poetry is written to express true feelings I have that have that I cannot express any other way.

I could speak them, but I always mess up what I try to say, so i write..and write and write

i have not written in some time, but when the moment strikes, I always carry paper, or journal, or whatever and a writing instrument (as the only music I play is in my words)

it completly reflects my mind and body as a whole