How does a man ask for a shorter working week?

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by Deemed as Normal, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

Is there a stigma to men working part time? I might sound stupid but I don't really get why so many people want more and more work? What's the point in having all that extra money if you don't have the time to think about how to be efficient with it. Something like 36 hours spread over a four day week seems ideal as this gives a good work/life balance that allows time for extra curricular activities. You're still at work long enough each week to not end up taking your time off for granted, while you also get more time off so you can be more productive with the things you really care about.

When comparing a 36 hour week to a 40 hour week, I think those extra hours (that your typical worker does) can really take quite a bit of life out of you. It I think it leaves you finding yourself in situations where you arrive home and don't know what to do with yourself. And that's fine if you're the sort of person that doesn't do much with yourself anyway, but everyone's different. In most countries you'd find yourself also paying less tax if you work a shorter week.

If you're in a job interview it's almost assumed that one will prefer more hours. I've often been in situations where I felt that asking a potential new employer not to give me "too much work" would be a turn off to them. So I would just reluctantly go along with all the work they'd throw at me.

Please share your thoughts

2. bigredinmass

bigredinmass Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I work for a government agency and we do 35 hour weeks....7 hour days and 1 hour unpaid lunch. Still feels long. I'd like more working from home like during the pandemic. Then it was 3 days office, 2 days at home staggered. I loved that!

3. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I used to work double shifts 7 days a week for a while, also being on-call meaning I had shifts that could run up to 30 solid hours straight when shit really hit the fan.
    It's amazing what airlines will spend to keep their freight moving.

Say what you will about life balance and all, but a job doesn't have to be forever and there's plenty of time to live following a few years of taking home a 4 figure weekly check

MartNorth likes this.
  4. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

Working on a farm there are No Days Off!

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Ask your boss to fire you... That usually works.

6. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Ask to go part time if you can afford the drop in pay. Sometimes doing that is worthwhile if it brings better work life balance . Another option is to job share if you can find somebody in a similar position with the same skills . Basically you share the hours with this other person and are effectivelly "one" person if that makes sense .

7. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A fact so many people don't understand, but to make it happen you MUST accept money will not burn a hole in your pocket if you don't spend it BEFORE you even earn it.

8. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

If you are working class. You never ask for a shorter work week. Boss will think you can get by with less money, and cut your wages.

9. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

I love hearing people say they work from home and given a certain amount of time to complete something and to work when they want as long as they want. Knock it out in a couple of days or break it up.

10. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Well, never get stuck with a sales job....you don't work, you don't get paid.....and you live under the illusion that the more you work, the more money you make, which really is not proportional. Home office is a double edged sword....