How does “death” operate?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Just curious, if you were death? Say if you were the “grim reaper” or “the force known as death”: How would you operate? If you were death itself, how would you go about the world deciding and choosing who stays alive and who is going to die today? I know some deaths cannot be stopped like say if someone is shot or stabbed, those the person usually has no choice but to end in death. But if you were just going to pick a “natural regular” death: How would you elect or nominate who will die for that particular day?

2. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

Now I become death, the destroyer of worlds.

The universe is a balancing act, can’t have light without dark or good without evil. It would be difficult for us mere mortals, we would choose just the bad people, child abusers , animal abusers, murderers, but it seems the good go too.
    I definitely would not like the job of choosing who.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

sorry to buzzkil, but not a force, merely a ceasation of function. otherwise known as entropy. the only real thing by which we measure time. though of course we can count the movements of suns and planets without it. we live in a mineral universe, which has no requirememnt for the personification of anything.

little furry creatures have their species spirits though. and balance is an illusion. the impartiality of a mineral universe is the impartiality of indifference.
    and this is not to say they're cannot be, or are not, big, friendy invisible self aware beings who are neither physical nor imaginary,
    but nothing having to be known in order to exist, owe nothing to anything we tell each other to imagine.

strangeness without drama is wonder, but drama without strangeness is without value, even as entertainment.

an infant can distroy by mere clumsiness, but what value is there in desroying.
    creating to express a personal aesthetic, now that is its own reward, even when it requires learning and effort.

is there a limit of space for universes to expand into? that is unknown. only the resources of a single world and the mechanisims that create them are known to posses such limits.

ceasation of function happens, but if function is not eternal, why would its ceasation be?
    no, the power to destroy is not one that long gratifies, nor creates the gratification of interest, nor any that outlasts an immediate moment.
    its attraction if any, is illusory.

the inconsiderate of course, are welcome to destroy themselves, and are owed no love to prevent their doing so.

no i see no reason to personify something that leaves only a mess, though yes, destruction itself needs to be consumed and recycled into something else entirely.

of course full circle, why does entropy happen? how and why is it a real thing? it is a thing that can be observed. perhaps this does not guarantee its being a real thing,
    yet it does seem to be pretty reliably predictable.

i've always felt that this idea, of personafying everything, is kind of like talking down to children, but perhaps that is only my own perspective.
    it is like the revulsion i feel at seeing a human face on a mechanical object, or even on a non-human life form
    (although i'm mostly ok with a non-human face on mostly form otherwise mostly human, although even there, i think the human ego has over romantacised its species form)

oh why the eff did this have to be in the 'christian' sub forum. i never remember to look first. if i had i would never have replied to it. seems like a much broader question that would apply much more broadly to many beliefs, not just one that dominates parts of the planet where there is most internet access or access to this forum.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

now i need to remove. i was trying to edit.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Kinda like the Draft, except frat-boy sons of millionaires wouldn't get college deferments, comfy stateside postings to the Texas Air National Guard, or 4-F'd for imaginary bone spurs.