how do you make apron tops?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by moon flower, Aug 25, 2005.

1. moon flower

moon flower Member

hi everyone :)

i really wanna start making some clothes but i'm not very good at it, i was thinking of trying to make an apron top cos they look like they would be the most simple thing for me to start with :)

could someone tell me how to make apron tops please?

thanks
    peace and love
    issy :)

2. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

They are quite simple, but you can make them as elaborate as you'd like. :D

First, measure around your bust, then from where you want the bodice to begin, and where to end(generally somewhere just under your breasts). Cut a big, long rectangle piece. If you want an open back, make the full bust measurement a bit smaller, so, maybe around 29"x7", which is what I go by for myself. Just do whatever you like, though.

Now, for the second piece, take the same measurement as the width(ie.29") and cut the material down as long as you choose for the actual shirt. Let's say, 29"x14" (I'm short..ahha).

So noooow, you get to start being creative, and you can do you appliques, quilting, embroidery, whatever the heck you wanna do. Then sew your pieces together. :D

Now you need to put some loops on the back for your ties.. I usually do about 6, but you can do as many as you'd like. Make them about 5" long and fold them in half to make your loops, then sew on the back of the bodice.
    (You'll also need one really long strip for tying the back too. I dunno.. 30"? 35"? Whatever suits the top, I suppose)

Straps are basically the same procedure to make as above, so I don't think I'll explain that, just play around with it and affix to suit your body.

Just be creative and have fun! :D

3. LostCove

LostCove Member

Go to homegrownthreads.com there are instructions under the tutorials

4. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

whaaaaaat? :D

I didn't know that.

Jeeez. :D Thanks LostCove.

5. moon flower

moon flower Member

hi :)

thanks guys for the great info , that was a lot of help, i can't waite to get started now :)

peace and love
    issy