How do you maintain your weight?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jennifer19, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Where you don’t lose anymore weight or gain any? I’m at a dead end I’m a very picky eater I walk on my treadmill probe over do it everyday I’m just struggling too eat better

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I workout at least 5 days a week without fail . However I do listen to my body and therefore the rest days can vary .

I dont eat red meat and mainly vegetarian but occasionally flex .

I use 2 supplements . CLA Lean definition and L carnitine . Both are fat burners and help muscle development .

My weight has been fairly constant allowing for muscle growth.

Todd56 and Jennifer19 like this.
  3. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Eat real food, what little I have to buy in a store is off the outside aisles except for eggs and cheese.

Todd56 and Jennifer19 like this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Who started this rumor that I'm maintaining my weight?

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Lol

6. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

I've always been a bigger girl, and to this day still carry baby weight from my last born.

I walk, garden, am a busy-body through and through, and eat well, but losing weight escapes me, however, at least I'm not putting weight on anymore like I used to.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Much as I like potatoes and pasta, I will cut them out if wanting to lose weight.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. PinkEye

PinkEye Member Lifetime Supporter

Im maintaining a small yet steady gain. Potatoes are most likely the reason.

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Eating less has worked for me. Also avoiding red meats, etc. Fish and shrimps, some chicken for protein. Potatoes aren't bad for you though, it's what you put on the potato that may be a problem :)

Just remembered, it's been about five years since I last had any red meat.

Since then I have lost even more, down to what I weighed in high school at age 69 years old.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Spending too much time on HF is a sure way of gaining weight, as I found out a few years ago.
    Loosing it is a lot harder. :D:D

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. soap94

soap94 Newbie

Thanks a lot, I totally support your ideas and the things you're promoting. It's vital to remember that some people may not follow these things due to medical specific conditions. That is why it's important understanding how Gastric Band Surgery can help you lose weight. There are so many benefits of it. Like other weight loss surgeries, gastric band surgery can lead to significant weight loss, with patients typically losing 50% to 60% of their excess weight within the first two years after surgery.

12. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

All bariatric surgeries come with significant risk of complications. Not just from the initial surgery but even for years afterward, including but not limited to gastrointestinal obstruction, hernias, gastroesophageal reflux, hypoglycemia, malnutrition, ulcers, scarring, and dumping syndrome that causes diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. The biggest problem with it is that it's a bandaid, if you don't drastically change your eating habits, the surgery isn't going to help long term but if you can change your eating habits then there is no need for the surgery in the first place. The idea is that the surgery forces this change but often it only works for a little while.

"Most patients reach their maximum weight loss one to three years following surgery, and research shows that, on average, patients regain about 30 percent of their weight-loss after 10 years. About one-quarter of patients regain all of their lost weight by 10 years. Moreover, about 20 percent of patients who undergo bariatric surgery fail to lose significant weight - defined as less than 50 percent of excess body weight." - UCLA Health

The best way to get to and maintain healthy weight is by eating unprocessed foods from good sources. Healthy fats and protein, lots of veggies and some fruit (not fruit juice or dried fruits that are mostly sugar) and avoiding grains and concentrated sweeteners of any kind, like sugar, agave, stevia, artificial sweeteners, etc... If you do eat grains, choose whole grains and try to limit how much you eat as they mostly turn to sugar in your system. Sugar, in all its forms, tends to be the biggest contributor to weight gain. I would recommend reading the book It Starts with Food for all the how's and why's of eating this way.

"Experts have found that a single 350g baked potato without any toppings, often considered a healthy option, contains nearly 90gof sugar. That's almost three times the amount in a can of Coke." - Newshub

But there is some good news if you really like potatoes.
    "To reduce the sugar rush: New potatoes do not raise your blood sugar as much as mature potatoes do. In addition to eating the skins, you can lower the glycemic index of potatoes by: eating them with some type of fat; chilling them for 24 hours after they’ve been cooked; flavoring them with vinegar" - Paraphrased on Chewfo.com from the book Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to increase the nutrition of their food.

If you want to know more about why chilling potatoes helps lower their glycemic index, this article on resistant starch from Healthline.com might help.

You could also look into intermittent fasting, preferably as a supplement to healthier eating but often people who try it do so without changing what they eat, only when they eat.

PinkEye and Bilby like this.
  13. legalize_the_plant003

legalize_the_plant003 Members

I do not eat breakfast. I have thyroid disease so if I ate like I used to when I was younger I would be one fat dude.

14. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

I go with that the bathroom scale and how your pants fit - they never lie - if something changes, I need to make changes, not buy bigger clothes. If you don't put the weight on, you won't have to take it off later.

I eat sparingly for breakfast, maybe a little fruit or oatmeal, a simple lunch, normal dinner where vegetables are the main course and the meat is more of a side...if a starch, it's half potato or half a sweet potato as is. I'm not big on sweets anymore, which I think is the problem for many- simple carbohydrates and sugars go right to your belly. If I drink any soda, it's the unsweetened seltzer types, nothing with corn 'sweetener' or diet sodas. When you're off the sweets, it amazing how over sweet something is when you do have it and you only want a little bit....like one piece of chocolate after dinner. I drink water all day. Booze is a big calorie adder....so I don't add insult to injury by ruining good booze mixing it with something like tonic or coke. Beer, I limit that to a few a week. I limit anything processed - which seems to be 75% of what is in the store today. Junk food everywhere.

Sure, I like a good meal out every now and then, or pizza or pasta, but it's not something that you do often - if you do this, you can't do that... After a while, you just get used to eating less and just maintain the system.

Eating is too much entertainment - everything revolves around food. How often do you eat because you are truly hungry?

15. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

That is true, once you are overweight it makes it so much harder to loose but some people are overweight before they are able to choose the food they eat, pushed into clearing their plate, fed fast food and prepackaged processed food as a steady diet, or grew up during the low fat craze that replaced the fat with sugar, making it all even worse for you. Furthermore, habits developed in childhood tend to be some of the hardest to break. Even when someone commits to eating healthier, often even small things can trigger a backslide into those old habits. It would be great if everyone could be born with the knowledge and ability to maintain optimum health but that is not the reality of todays world, we need to learn those things while sifting through tons of misinformation about what's good for us and what's bad for us and for a while are at the mercy of whatever our parents or caregivers thought was best.
    While it's not impossible to overcome all these and other challenges that contribute to being overweight, it is much more difficult than people who have never had to deal with it seem to think. I haven't even touched on all the mental, emotional, and medical issues that contribute to the problem.

Sorry for ranting. This isn't aimed at you specifically but at the general idea that "It's not that hard" that a lot of people seem to have.

granite45 likes this.
  16. MollyCuddled

MollyCuddled Members

Photoshop

Jk. I do my best with regular exercise and am pretty successful with intermittent fasting

Moon Goddess likes this.
  17. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Oh, I understand....rant away, it's easy for me to say for sure. Food can be as much an addiction as anything. It's just that sooooo many Americans are BIG and they just keep getting bigger....then they have kids....and they are big.....their spouses are big...they're all sick and they don't care for themselves, then all of a sudden they feet they need to take off all the weight they've been putting on steadily since they were kids.....and can't in a few weeks...and they keep growing. It's so unhealthy - every other drug advertisement today is for some kind of diabetes drug now. I read a medical journal article at my ortho doc's office - the average BMI for knee and hip replacements was 30....I mentioned it to him and he just shook his head..'welcome to my world'....

I think weight loss will be the next big breakthrough....but nothing changes if nothing changes, there's no magic. You can't eat 4000 calories a day, drink a gallon of corn syrup, eat piles of junk food loaded with sugar, bad fats and junk carbs. I don't know, but we are doing something very wrong since the 70's....then people just started getting bigger....which just happens to coincide with the introduction of corn sweeteners in drinks and "diet" soda. Once you develop the fat cells - they don't go away, they just sit there....lurking to fill up again.

Food is the new smoking.

18. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for your reality check. I grew up in a home that had a “candy drawer” and fried meat was almost a daily requirement. Surprise, surprise at age 60 I developed type 2 diabetes and struggle with my weight. My father had a heart attack at age 54.

And our society makes it unnecessarily hard…adding high fructose corn syrup to everything, gross ads on media, oversized servings, fighting accurate nutrition labels and a disdain for healthy food. Oh yeah, making beer seem like a low carb drink when the calorie impact of alcohol is conveniently ignored. I grew up in the days of Wonderbread, sugar laden pop, pop-tarts, and chocolate coated peanuts…wonder why it’s hard.

Moon Goddess likes this.
  19. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Ah, I like that you said 'pop...' not soda.....

I don't think there's a solution. Why oh why does bad food taste so damn good?? How I would love to have a big mac, or KFC, or a pile of fries...

Everybody ate that way then. My dad was a big meat and potatoes kind of guy, overweight, drank, he had his quad bypass at 56. I think his cardiologist was part wizard to keep him alive for another 20 years. Both of his parents died in their 60's from a heart attack after having multiple episodes in the few years before.

I had just decided not to continue story...

BUT I think dumb luck and genetics play a big part in health - my mother's side all lived long healthy lives - she's 97. He mom lived to 96, sister 99, other sister 103.

granite45 likes this.
  20. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I was never over weight until Covid. Lack of doing things I had always done. Gained 40 lbs in 2 years. Working at taking it off, but being in 70s don't help.