How do you let your pet go?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jennifer19, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Oh so very sad.
    Kathy is right.

2. riverman18

riverman18 solid gold brass

Thank you, Kathy. Your compassion will guide me through the journey ahead. Knowing I did the right thing brings me peace. I know I'll see Charlie again.

KathyL likes this.
  3. Beautiful Erica

Beautiful Erica Members

Cry til trash time

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Oh, you did the right thing. We kept dog 1.0 going far too long, looking back....he was sick a long time, but you do it to put off the grief. We had a serious chat about dog 2.0 and how we were never going to do that again. They've been too good to us and too good of a dedicated companion for years to let them suffer for our sake. One thing I do recommend is to either overlap pets, or go right out and get another - the hole they leave is just too big.

Now. How freaky is this. Looking into dog 2.0's records - he was born on the very same day that dog 1.0 died.........same dog....?

KathyL, wilsjane and granite45 like this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

After reading your lovely, but ultimately very sad story, my mind went back to something about 12 years ago.
    I was aware that our cat was not very happy and working from home one morning I discovered the reason. He suddenly came in from the garden pursued by another cat who had obviously been bullying him. I arrived at the lounge door, to find our cat in the opposite corner standing underneath our dog facing out between his legs.
    The funny part was the look on the cats face, as if to say to his pursuer, now what are you going to do. A few seconds the other cat pranced into the room, stopped dead in his tracks and immediately turned around. I knew that cats could run fairly fast, but until then, I did not know that they could fly. Our dog was a Rottweiler cross, so perhaps that was the reason.
    I always wondered afterwards, what went through that poor cats mind, seeing our cat between the dogs legs like that. We already had the cat when we adopted the dog from the animal shelter, so they were inseparable and even slept together.
    Sadly neither of them are with us now, but we had about 17 years of their company.

KathyL and scratcho like this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Good that you had that much time with your little friends. :) I have gotten many stray cats homes wherever I have lived ,from Florida to Hawai'í and kept some of them myself. They never live as long as I want them to---sadly. But I remember them ALL.:(:(

7. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just stumbled across this part of our wonderful community. There are some beautiful stories here and some good support for some of you who have grieved the loss of your furry friends.
    I've been a dog and cat rescuer for several years. When their time comes, it is very difficult but important to provide them with your love and support as much as you can. They love us with unconditional love - something humans are incapable of offering another human, but an animal seems to be able to do this. They do it with animal characteristics that we humans do not always understand, but nonetheless - true love comes from them to us, and it is our deep loss when they pass.
    I've heard stories of humans who surrender their dog or cat because they cannot handle the heavy lifting of an older animal. I don't understand a human being who would do this. It is my privilege to help my pet walk over that rainbow bridge. Each one of mine who has died in my presence did so in my arms or on my lap - because they were given that option and that is what they chose to do. My cats that wandered off and never came home were heartbreaking losses for me. Some, I searched for years knowing in my heart they had died, but I could not find closure.
    I"ve had several dogs throughout my life... My tough dog, Benny - he was a runner and a troublemaker - and had become homeless, undoubtedly because he was a runner. And he ran free any chance he had. Benny hated riding in a car, and more than that, he hated going to the vet. When his life was coming to an end, I knew he was suffering - I wanted to find someone to come to the house to help him transition, but I could not find anyone to come. So, as much as I hated to do it, I put him in my car and we drove to the vet. For the one and only time, Benny was silent the entire ride with his head resting on the window... at the office, he immediately curled up between my legs on the floor, and snuggled his face against my chest - that is how he died. I am totally convinced that Benny knew somehow that I was doing my best, and all he needed was me next to him. As much as he was a runner in life, at his death he was not going anywhere without me next to him. I'll never forget that dog. or any of the others I have loved over the years.

8. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Of those we had to let go, we have an awesome Vet. He does house calls...makes it so much easier on everyone. Talks us all through it, reassures and explains why it's the right thing to do, gets all the paperwork out of the way, relaxes them, we get our last goodbye in and get to hold them as they cross over. Then he lets himself out .. and that's that.

I have a spot out in the woods where I put them all where they all have their own markers. When I go out there to dump leaves or grass nearby, I let them know, in no uncertain terms, I expect them all to be waiting when I get to the pearly gates...snnfff.

scratcho, wilsjane and KathyL like this.
  9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Very touching stories. Our little friends just want to be loved and will give it in return. I have the utmost disdain for those that mistreat animals. :tongueclosed:

KathyL likes this.
  10. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Office cat agrees whole heartedly....and half tailed...

KathyL and scratcho like this.
  11. Native Vee

Native Vee Members

It was hard.very hard when my kitty cat left us years ago.........

I still miss her terribly,poor kitty :(

scratcho likes this.