How do you let your pet go?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jennifer19, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

My mom has always said when rocky passes she wants another cat I don’t want another cat she loves depressing shit feeds off of that I can’t keep going threw losing another pet

2. Kenwood1

Kenwood1 Members

I'm really sorry about Rocky, Jennifer. 2 weeks ago I had to make the incredibly hard decision to put my 18 year old cat, Rocca, to sleep.

I found him on the side of the road. He was a tiny kitten at the time. I brought him home, then went and got a can of wet cat food. Poor guy was starving, and was so small he ate a hole through the middle of the food as big around as his head straight down.

Needless to say, he wqs my best friend. He went through several moves, several girlfriends and a wife. When I started dating my current wife, I spent a lot of time at her place, and would go home 4 or 5 times a week to see him. Eventually she told me I should just bring him over. I was beyond happy.

But he gave me 18 long years of his friendship. I was his Calvin, he was my Hobbes. I took care of him, and he took care of me in his own way. He was best friends with our 90lb pit bull. They were never ever more than a few feet away from each other at any given time. However, eventually (a few months ago), he started bleeding from his mouth every time we ate. We tried switching him to soft food, but it didnt help. We had several xrays, scans, dental work. We were feeding him by syringe twice a day. But he still seemed happy, so we were happy to do everything we could for him.

Then he randomly went blind one day, and thats where we knew something was going on, reardless of what the scans said. He went downhill pretty fast, and we ultamitely had to make the hardest decision. He would of fought to the end, but he gave enough and didnt deserve to suffer. It was so hard, and my wife still cries over loosing him. But just take comfort in not just the time you had with him, but also the great life and love you've given him. Here he is the first day I brought him to my wife's place when we were dating. And the 2nd picture is a couple hours before we took him and let him go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I just don’t wanna say good bye or get another cat my cousin is not going good again he got himself in some serious trouble

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Kenwood----Nice story but sad too. I've had so many myself and I'm sad now because I live with my #1 son and wife and evidently she is allergic to cats---so--- no more kitties for me.

Jennifer19 likes this.
  5. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Rockys appointment in half hour

6. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

:(

7. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

9. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

10. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

My family rescues cats. Most are just left astray by their former owner who died or moved away. One was even declawed, wish it were illegal. We have faced that decision many times over the years and it is never, ever easy. They are like part of the family, our little children. We love them very much. But when the Vet says it is time, their discomfort too great we let them go and pray knowing we will be together again someday. On occasion the Vet cries with us.

Jennifer19 and scratcho like this.
  11. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Good news his bloodwork has improved she upped his thyroid medication schedule too get his teeth cleaned he is not eating much cause of his pill nothing too be concerned about

12. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

She said thought he was doing much better

13. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

It is never an easy choice to make. If they are suffering and in pain then that is the nicest thing that you can do for them.
    I had 3 pets over the years that I had to have put down. None of those times were easy. It is like loosing a family member at times. After the last pet I swore that I do not want to go through that again. But I am starting to think that I need to have another pet. Who knows for now. I don't

Jennifer19 and scratcho like this.
  14. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He is not eating anymore this pill is making him lose is appetite now he isn’t eating abs he won’t take his pill

15. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I’m scared if he dies I’ll be afraid too be by myself it’s already lonely in my house and without him it will be even worse

16. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Thyroid pill is making him not hungry he’s not touching his wet food anymore and he quit eating his dry food months ago because his teeth are so bad I got baby food some lickable tuna treats got to get him to take his pill Then he can get better then he can have the surgery to get his teeth done and he won’t be in pain then he can go back eating normal put some weight back on

17. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He is back behind a table near the window he ate the baby food I brought it to him and I held it while he licked it up so that’s really good that he ate it he’s got to eat again so he can take his pill

18. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I didn’t want to give them too much because I don’t want him to throw up if he wants more he’ll come out and eat it

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  19. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

He is hiding my mom says when they hide there in pain and wanna die alone

20. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I would think he would wanna be near us who wants too die alone?