How do you let your pet go?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jennifer19, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I don’t know if i can rocky is 14 years old thyroid problems arthritis he is not eating anymore won’t take his pill he threw up all yesterday diarrhea hides on the coner crying he has been with me since I got put on oxygen he sees the vet Tuesday at 1:30

2. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

This can be a incredibly difficult decision, having had to recently put a loved fur kid down recently, I did not want her to suffer. This helped greatly with making the decision.

scratcho likes this.
  3. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

My house already feels lonely it’s going too be even worse

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Ask yourself; am I prolonging his life, or prolonging his suffering? Whose interests am I serving; his? Or am I sacrificing him and making him suffer to serve my own emotional attachment, need for love and affection, or fear of abandonment?
    14 is a long life for a cat. at this point, what would give Rocky the most peace?
    I know full well how tough it is, but for his years of affection, loyalty, and comfort to you, he deserves you loving him enough to make some really hard decisions on his behalf, not yours.

None of the above should be interpreted as criticism. It's what all pet owners face.
    May you and Rocky transcend all suffering, and be at peace.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    wilsjane, scratcho and Toecutter like this.
  5. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I agree, we decided once not to get another dog,
    We adopted a pet from a shelter, it was the longest 3-weeks ever.

Rescuing another definitely help with our loss.

Piobaire likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My process is to focus on three things.
    • Impermanence. All things are impermanent.
    • How blessed I have been to have had such a wonderful companion in my life.
    • Their suffering.
    As I comfort them, I thank them profusely, in all sincerity from the bottom of my soul, for their loving companionship over all these years, and promise that I will take care of them and take away their pain.

thepapasmurph, Kenwood1 and scratcho like this.
  7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I feel your pain @Jennifer19 !!!

Rocky has been a good comfort to you, and will always be remembered.

You can not replace him, but a new cat will bring much joy!

When I lost my cat, I adopted another from a shelter and she was the sweetest most grateful being on earth. We had no problems with her ever...

scratcho likes this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I too feel your pain. Our little friends are no less than full family members that bring joy into our lives as Rocky has into yours. I have gotten homes for stray kitties that needed them for years and in many places that I have lived. I loved ém all. Be sad of course, but remember---there are many, many kitties that want and need love from a good person like you.

9. ~Zen~

That was the most incredibly nice thing to say Scratcho! You are a true gentleman indeed :) Much respect to you.

Jennifer19 and scratcho like this.
  10. scratcho

Thank you, my friend.

Jennifer19 and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
    Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
    His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
    The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...​

wrat1, Kenwood1, Deidre and 4 others like this.
  12. ~Zen~

That is quite nice! Thank you for posting that. :)

Jennifer19 likes this.
  13. scratcho

Very touching.:(:)

Jennifer19 likes this.
  14. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’ve been here. Rocky appreciates you and your love for each other is unique and special. It’s really hard to go through letting a pet go because they are part of the family.

Toecutter, ~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  15. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I found this not long after I put her down,

4317654A-ED5F-42F1-A960-6FBC41BAC04A.png

16. scratcho

I'd like to tell this little story. I was traveling up highway 5 in northern California heading back to Oregon in '71 or '72 I think. Had a flat tire in the middle of nowhere--nothing but forest on both sides of the road. Spare was flat, so I pulled it out of the back of the car and started walking. A mile or so later , I came across a small road leading off the freeway and there was a sign mentioning a town 4 or 5 miles up that road. Finally got to the town which was a gas station , a little restaurant and 5 or 6 houses in sight.

The guy at the station started fixing my tire as I stood around smoking. I looked up the road a bit and saw a dog tied to a small bridge with 3 or 4 dogs hassling her. I asked the tire guy whose dog that was and why was it tied up here. He said he didn't know but that he had tied the dog up and had called animal control and they said they would come. I walked up the the road a bit to the dog and made the other dogs back off. She was a beautiful Australian shepherd type and I figured she was in heat with the dogs bugging her. I told the guy--"I'll take that dog." And I did.

That little dog knew I had save her, I guess. I named her Jessie and she was such a wonderful and loving dog. Although in my gallery pictures there is one of me with a little dog--I don't remember that dog at all, so I consider Jessie to be my first dog. I lived across from the beach in Lincoln City, Oregon and I would take her across the street and she loved to run and be free on the beach. She was fast! Other than at the beach , she would never leave my side and when I went anywhere that required her to be in control, I would tie a short piece of rope to my belt loop and then to her collar. She would walk right by me and I'd never even feel the rope pull --she just knew what i wanted and walked right beside me.

A few months later, my girl friend and I went back to Hawaii and Jessie came right along with us. Hawaii has a damned 6 month quarantine rule for arriving dogs , so Jessie had to be in a cage over the hill in Honolulu from where we lived for SIX MONTHS!! So I would drive over the mountains 2 or three times a week to visit her in her cage. There were many animals and the place was noisy as all get out. I didn't like the place , but there was nothing I could do.

So finally the day came when Jessie was getting out of dog jail and I picked her up. Joyous reunion was had for sure. Jessie was home!! I was looking forward to years of fun and pleasure being Jessie's friend and protector. Two weeks after I brought her home, she got sick, her pancreas failed and Jessie died. Just like that. I cried like a baby. Haven't had another dog, but I think of Jessie every once in a while. Life is like that. It'll tickle ya ' to giggling or punch ya' in the gut.

17. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

That’s a beautiful story thanks so much for sharing

scratcho likes this.
  18. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I have been not feeling good for a long time I get sever panic attacks I get confused part me having seizures so I think I’m having them again grieving the loss of my dad I can’t talk too my mom about nothing

19. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

Wow I love that ☺️

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. scratcho

I hope you get to feeling better, Jennifer. I know that when the time is right, another furry little friend would be helpful for you. :)

Jennifer19 likes this.