How do you handle rude people?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deidre, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

If someone is rude to you for no reason, you have been kind or respectful to him/her but he/she is rude in reply, do you respond the same way? Do you reply in a kind way? Or do you ignore that person going forward? I tend to ignore, but curious as to how you handle those situations?

“Someone” not being a loved one, family member, or good friend but rather just an acquaintance or someone you don’t know all that well.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I hold my tongue. I've been the rude person before though, so.. biased? I think maybe.

Deidre likes this.
  3. Kerri

Kerri Members

I mostly ignore them. I've ignored a bunch of guys on here. There's no point wasting energy on them

Badamy, morrow, wilsjane and 2 others like this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Could yo even imagine someone being rude to me. :yum::yum::yum:.

Responses like:..... "what side of the bed did you fall out of this morning, or where you pushed"..... normally work.

In extreme cases,..... "I prefer to talk to people who were brought up at Eton....Not eaten and brought up".

Deidre and Kerri like this.
  5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In real life it is easier than social media, although, I do not meet too many rude people in real life, but when I do in real life, I handle it with my facial expressions alone and then I slowly leave for good.....

but on social media where all you have is the written word, it is much harder, so I lose it a lot, and don't like when I do or recognize myself when I do, so i am trying to just block out rude people now and only concentrate on what is good.

6. storch

storch banned

Why do anything? It's their problem, not yours.

Total Darkness and Deidre like this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

right. That is true.

but for people who know me by now, it is usually over animals and cruelty and things such as that, and I am realizing there is nothing I can do about them being the way they are, as much as i try to fight for the animals, so now, I just leave here until I can cool off enough to come back, I guess.

Deidre and Kerri like this.
  8. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

As a teen I mostly just walked away. As a young man I only took ready offence to my wife & her family. These days I hope to be able to reign in my temper & remember to only get pissed about shit that really matters. Respect is paramount to me but my rules of how it is maintained or broken. I feel that respect should be inherently given. Wether that respect is kept depends on the actions afterwards

Deidre likes this.
  9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Most of the time, I just ignore them (believe it or not). But then it all depends on how I feel that day, and how they are being rude. Rudeness comes in various forms and can be perceived differently by many. I don't like when people walk past me and cut in line. Most people look at it as an accident, oversight, not paying attention, and no big deal. But, my perception at that time, is that the other person thinks they are better than me, automatically entitled, and think I'm scum, therefore they feel they deserve to go ahead of me. I've had people literally look me in the face as they were doing this shit. But y'all would be proud to know that I keep my cool everytime, and respond with, "Hey sir/ma'am, I'm next." If anyone is rude towards my wife or daughter in anyway, no matter what it is, I address it immediately. I do not tolerate anything shitty being done to my family. That's anything and everything.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

if they are just a normal person i ignore it

if they are a customer a charge them extra or just remember next time they need me ill be too busy

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

That is the best way, ignoring them hurts them a lot more than a slanging match.
    Also their rude comments stand out alone for all of us to judge them by.

Lately, before I reply to a comment from a person who I have not seen before, I click on their avatar. The ratio between messages and likes tells me all that I need to know before getting involved.

Deidre, Eric!, Kerri and 1 other person like this.
  12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Depends on the degree of rudeness & context, if it's someone I'm working with I may have to address, it if they are a multiple offender, if it's a random, I'd probably just smile politely and walk away.

Deidre and Eric! like this.
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If it doesn't seem a crazy person and they're being rude about something (i find) significant I will attempt to make a point of it.
    If they seem nonsensically rude I might let them know just that, or ignore them.

I try to never raise my voice to a rude stranger. It just seems to make them more rude, angry or nonsensical. If a friend is rude about something significant and manages to push my buttons i might react differently (I beat them to pulp :grinning: JK) ...only because I care more of course! It's usually more easy to not care about a stranger being rude imo

14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Define "Rude".

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

An example would be someone insulting you online or offline, when they dislike your advice or comment about something. But your comment was respectful, and intended to help if they asked for help on something.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
  16. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Same. I deactivate my pm’s from time to time and it helps.

Eric! and Kerri like this.
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I usually don't think of a response until its too late. Its always a bit of a shock when people are rude to me so I end up staring at then in confusion and then think of the perfect comeback after they've already walked away

18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

That’s it. That’s exactly how I have felt recently. Granted, we are all flawed of course, but when you’re genuinely nice to people who aren’t in return (maybe that is the topic moreso, thinking it through now) it’s confusing and a little shocking.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Online it is even more simple. Especially on a text based forum and in a serious convo. I can't be insulted or offended by rude people online.
    If you're rude in a serious convo on a text based forum you're most likely not trying to be a constructive part of the discussion, or are using verbal intimidating tactics because you got nothing else. Its both fun and useful to confront such a person with their behavior :D or to keep focussing on the content and let the rude person make a fool of themselves. Never steep down to their level with namecalling etc. It actually validates their behavior (hey, we're all doing it. Lets step it up a notch.. Quite pointless)

Edit: and when its not in a public convo and they insist on bothering me I simply ignore them of course. Aint got no time for rude online strangers!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  20. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

You’re right, I guess lol