How do you guys make this stuff?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by willowbaby89, Aug 20, 2005.

1. willowbaby89

willowbaby89 Member

Since i started coming to this forum i just fell in love with al lof the clothes I see here and i have been wondering as to how you amke these things lol,im really bad at this kind of stuff, did it take you time to learn how to make all this stuff,did someone teach you??Can someone help me out?

2. mrsmorrison27

mrsmorrison27 yoda piss

well, my mom is a sewing machine herself, and she taught me th basics, and then i just took it from there by myself, she only taight me straight seems and how to turn the stuf inside out to make it look normal and stuff, but i really taught myself, i love it, it gives me such a sense of accomplishment and every peice i make gets better and better, ha i even have custom orders from my friends, just pracitce PRACTICE PRACTICE!! cause it makes perfect,ull mess up of course ur only human, but dont let that discourage u, cause sewing is wonderul! if i can help u ne more, just pm me and ill help u with watever u need! hope this helps! peace

3. Hipmoon

Hipmoon Member

My grandma taught be to sew and crochet when I was younger. It wasn't till later that I picked it up again and started enjoying the fruits of my labor. Start small and work your way up. You'll only get better with time and practice.

4. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

My grandma taught me some stuff, but mostly I just used patterns to learn the basics. I know some folks don't like patterns, but that's how I learned to make nice darts, how to insert a zipper, how to do pintucks and buttonholes. The older patterns are especially nice for learning tailoring. I also have a sewing book from the 60's that I bought at a yard sale. I found an even older sewing book at a book sale at the library for lenamarina. The books are really helpful and a good investment.

5. LostCove

LostCove Member

Start small and don't get discouraged. ;)
    What are you thinking about doing?

6. Lazuli Blue

Lazuli Blue Member

Like MrsMorrison said - practice, practice, practice!
    Once you get into you can't stop!

7. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i watched my gramma sew a little bit and took a few clothing design classes in high school. but mainly when i was 15 i figured it out by looking at the seams on my clothes and used the trial and error method on my grammas old universal machine................. my first few things turned out horribly but i got better as time went on. i figured out i can do it best without a pattern, if i use a pattern i usually screw up!!

8. willowbaby89

willowbaby89 Member

Im jsut trying to learn how to make my own clothes

9. LostCove

LostCove Member

start with a patchy scarf or handbag and then move up to a skirt or shirt. ;) It'll be easier and you'll get the feel for it better if you start smaller bc/s it's not like just sewing one piece of cloth to another you have to deal with making seems straight and not folding them and making your work all wonky. It'll also give you a chance to see if you like the patches aligned or all random.