How Do You Deal With Stoned Drivers?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by Motion, May 27, 2014.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Well they did point out that currently there is no way to determine how impaired a driver is from marijuana because there is nothing similar to a breathalyzer that can be used to measure someone's impairment from weed. But driving tests like the one I posted in post 13 showed how being high on marijuana can distort people's driving ability when a good amount of weed is smoked. The problem here is determining how much weed is too much for each person to impair them for driving?

1 person likes this.
  2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

The safety of pedestrians shouldnt be compared to an alchol equivelant. If its dangerous to drive stoned it should be ilegal. I dont care what studies you have that say you become a better driver when you get high. I will call bullshit on that all day. I have driven drunk, i have driven stoned and i have driven sober. Trust me if your crossing the road with your kids, you would prefer me to be sober. And unless you have some magical pot that helps you improve motor skills i will just say your studies are nonsense.

2 people like this.
  3. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

I think the stoning of a driver is a dangerous and inhumane practice

1 person likes this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

They only stone the woman drivers...no?

1 person likes this.
  5. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Exactly so anything definitive is just blowing smoke. Then there the lack of overall statistics to compare to. The only thing this study indicates is change of habit.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It is really clear if you look objective and really consider other people (not just hypothetically, like: 'in reality there are almost no drivers here', then maybe you can pull it off responsible just there) in traffic, wether they are also driving or on foot :2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:rolleyes:
    Yup and you can die from an overdose of marijuana as well......
    you have to consume about 15 lbs in the space of an hour to accumulate enough shit to kill you, but they say it can be done.

So care to throw out some more asinine and ludicrous comparisons/research?

I'm curious, facts do not support your position, so what are you trying to accomplish here?

Here is some research for ya;

https://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_driving4.shtml

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

these two are about the same study
    http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/25000/25800/25867/DOT-HS-808-078.pdf
    http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/T95/paper/s1p2.html

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1077(1998110)13:2+%3CS70::AID-HUP50%3E3.0.CO;2-R/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

http://druglibrary.org/schaffer/misc/driving/dot78_1d.htm

Now before you go skimming through them and come back with BUT! BUT!
    Yes marijuana does impair driving ability to a degree, mainly in the ability to track laterally (swerving in your lane), and it is related to dose.
    Pretty much plain old common sense.
    But each does come to the conclusion that the degree of impairment is nowhere as bad as what the hype you are reading claims or you are suggesting.

Now on to the bits you keep wanting harp on, weed and alcohol.
    Weed alone produces far less impairment than alcohol does for the same degree of subjective intoxication. What that means is booze fucks your driving faster and worse than weed, and those under the influence of alcohol almost always under estimate the degree of their intoxication/impairment.

Combining weed with alcohol produces greater impairment than the same doses of either substance alone, but any stoner knows that pot is synergistic with everything, so again, nothing new or groundbreaking there.
    Then we have this issue of the half-life of the substances in question.
    Anytime there is an accident and ANY type of drugs are found in the persons system, the assumption is ALWAYS that they were under the influence at the time of the accident. In the case of marijuana that is far from accurate as it can be detected for weeks with little way of determining the last time it was ingested or the degree of intoxication. Than add the fact that heavy smokers can metabolize weed faster than light or occasional smokers, and any reliable testing goes out the window.
    What that means if you don't understand is that a heavy, daily smoker could smoke his brains out on Saturday and get tested on Tuesday and actually test lower than the guy who only smokes every 3 months and only had a half of a joint on Saturday.

If anything, you should be expending your time and energy on campaigning against alcohol instead of this chum tossing in the forum.
    :mickey:

1 person likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes: you can also die from an overdose of water :biggrin:

1 person likes this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

and a helluva lot easier than an overdose of weed. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

drowning comes to mind

1 person likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Water intoxication...

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I smoke weed while driving every single day.... multiple times usually...they can hassle you here but a charge is very difficult to make stick

btw...the same people are driving high now that were driving high before

1 person likes this.
  13. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Lolololol.

I'll never drive while fully blazed, but I'll cruise on the come down. I enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  14. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

1 person likes this.
  15. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

a drunk driver is more likely to think he/she can get away with driving reckless.

a stoned driver is more likely to be paranoid and cautious, the biggest risk is probably driving with your eyes on the rearview mirror wondering if that car behind you is really a cop or not. a good driver should have his/her eyes on the road in front of them.

i suppose with weed being legal to possess tho, that would be one less thing to be paranoid about