How Do You Accurately Measure The Gender Pay Issue?

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by Motion, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

What would you focus on when looking into this issue so that the info the public receives on this issue is accurate?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/jul/15/politifact-sheet-gender-pay-gap/

2. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Is it discrimination, or do the women make less effort, take more sick days, at work in the USA?

3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Here is your gender pay gap.
    [​IMG]

SpacemanSpiff likes this.
  4. John1234567

John1234567 Members

I find that due to gender equality issues many jobs give more leeway when hiring females over males basesd on the ratio of male to female in the work place

5. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Women do seem to be affected with their pay by having to take time away from work related to having children. Would a national paid maternity leave policy help with that? I've heard that many Americans think that's a good idea but not enough people want to pay for it.

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

It goes back to the time of dot!
    Men ruled, women were 2nd class..the habit needs to stop!
    That's it!
    It's the job that should have a value, if you can do the job, you get the pay!
    Sometimes it's hard to believe guys still think that way..but they do!
    Ok we all have certain tasks in life, but men and women are two halves, the meaning of life! One can't do it, without the other!
    But because men are bigger in size, only so they are stronger! So can be better hunters! Right yeah!
    It's evolution and ego!
    If you can do the job..then get the pay, if you can't, walk away!

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its non existant, and has been for decades, in our western countries at least

For the exact same job anyway

Companies arent going to bother putting themselves at risk of the legal ($) consequences

1 person likes this.
  8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

What is up with you attitude towards women?
    You are so strange.

Just some of your lovely thoughts:
    If they dont speak English, fuck em.
    I am only interested in fertile women.
    Islamic culture is superior to western.
    Asian culture is all booze and hookers.

I know you think you're very alternative with your lifestyle and lovers, but it just comes across as kind of bitter...did a white woman your own age hurt you so badly?
    And now you like em young, Asian, obedient and silent.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He probably thinks he is 'keeping it real'. It's not that strange. He's kind of like VG.

1 person likes this.
  10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Everyone is hurt by a partner ...... if they live long enough.
    My comment about 'don't speak English' was not directed at women, a little unfair of you to make it seem like it was.
    My comment about 'fertile women' is my particular standard for attraction, everyone has those, it isn't anti-woman in any way.
    My comment 'Islamic culture is superior', you missed out for men and children ......
    My comment 'Asian culture' ..... have you ever lived in Asia? Every evening out your deluged by hookers .... and I didn't say they were all women ..... plenty of guy hookers in the crowd.
    (Except Korea .... that's completely different)
    Please don't republish partial quotes form me, that you have twisted to suit your agenda .... it isn't polite (and probably against forum rules).

Young, Obedient and silent ....... you must be joking .... clearly you've never experienced the company of any Asian woman.
    Young, as in under 35, you got me there, although I rarely chase ladies under 30yo any more, just not my style. 30-35 is perfect.
    Violent, dangerous and slightly psychotic is my experience ...... and mostly stronger than me too.
    A life in an office (me) Vs a life of hard manual labour (her). She (wife) could kick my ass any day (and probably yours too) and usually carries a really scary flick knife.
    Quite a big problem with many elderly male expats in Asia is beatings (and murder) from their younger, fiercer, fitter and stronger wives.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I doubt very seriously women call in sick more than men, unless it is related to sick children. I know from personal experience a field dominated by women is more forgiving of needing to take time off for sick children than a male dominated field.

To answer the OP,

I think you would have to compare pay between men and women within the same field and the same years of experience

1 person likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You think that's the same?

And its somehow independent of woman's intuition?

13. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I can't wait until I'm the only guy on a construction site full of women. There will probably be a few hotties and even more that are doable at least.

Bring it ladies. Your equal rights are waiting in for you in your hard-hat.

1 person likes this.
  14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I'm no expert on statistical studies. For example, when gathering statistics on how often men have sex researchers found if they first just ask the question they'll get answers like "12 times a week!" But if they quickly follow up by asking "How about last week?" They'll get answers like 3, but I was sick!

However, most of the thriving democracies today have equal pay for women and I'm sure they have it down to a science. The US is the holdout on that one with Louisiana, for example, still paying women 66c on the dollar for the same work. Like minimum wage and other issues many states have given up on waiting for congress to actually do something productive and taken matters into their own hands, but the US has states like West Virginia which is essentially the third world in America. These days, about the only way to make your voice count in the US is to move somewhere else where it matters whether it be another state or a different country altogether and forget about national politics.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

Orison and OldDude2 like this.
  16. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Doesn't exist

17. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

The gender pay gap is nothing more than an illusion created by the wage gap that is inherent between jobs men prefer to do vs jobs women prefer to do. Most women don't want to do warehouse, construction, truck driving, etc. Many of those jobs tend to pay rather well, however jobs that women do tend to get into, women with real gumption that is, such as lawyer, doctor, teacher do tend to pay well, but they also are harder to get into. As such it appears as though men make more, perhaps in the short term that is true, but in the long run such shit just don't hold up

18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Mansplain it to me again, please?

Anyway, I got a raise at the end of the last calendar year. My boss let it slip that it was to "bring me up" to the same salary as my co-workers. All the other people in my exact position here are male. Including one gentleman with less experience than me. So, yeah, he essentially admitted I was being paid less than the men I worked with--again, some of whom had less experience than me--and for no reason.

I don't know what you'd call that, but it certainly isn't pay equality.

20. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Their is never going to be a perfect answer for this a: Because of all of the factors involved in pay & B: Even moreso because, we all know discrimination though, proving it in each indivual case is often impossible.

21. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

That's never gonna happen though. Women don't want those jobs, regardless of what they say. :smile:

BeatinFeet69 likes this.