How do I Support my Recent Ex after Severe Trauma?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by anonymouspsy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. anonymouspsy

anonymouspsy Members

For some context, I'm 21 and she's 20. After dating a year and a half; we broke up 1 month ago but long story short the main cause was a poor living situation; us both living in a single room in my suicidal father's house (he's getting help) far away from civilzation. A lot of little arguments happened that built up over time from the stress of our environment and my solution was us living separately like we were towards the beginning of our relationship because I thought it would be healthier but she said she was unhappy and didn't want to do it anymore.

Sure I still love her, sure I miss the hell out of her and would take her back so we can try again in a healthy environment (us moved away from this depressing island)... But she had something happen to her that's a lot more important than my feelings for her and our past that we had created together.

Two weeks ago, she was spending time with an old friend she trusted and had no suspicion of, and while she was simply trying to sleep she was raped. I cannot fathom the pain she is going through and her lack of trust for everybody around her; I just want to support the girl I love through this hard time without her thinking "Oh you're only trying to offer your hand because you want to get back together". If she asks for some space, how long do I go without checking on her or asking her if she would like to grab a bite or go for a walk in the park? Ultimately, I care more about her happiness, safety, and well being than my romantic feelings for her.

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Was she really raped?

Or was it just sex she regretted?

3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Maybe just try to be there for her when she's ready to invite you in. If she wants to talk about it, then I'd just be a good listener. Did she go to the police?

4. anonymouspsy

anonymouspsy Members

I've talked to her best friend and have no reason to believe it was warranted at all.
    She went to the hospital a day later to be checked and also file a police report, so that's positive I suppose..