How do I become a hippie, or hippy?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by nonameman, Mar 26, 2021.

1. nonameman

nonameman Members

Ok, so I'm new to this rodeo. How do you spell it 'hippy' or 'hippie'?

What kind of clothes should I buy? Should I wear shiny-black nail polish?

I'm a 19 yr old straight guy by the way.

I already smoke weed and drink beer sometimes; should I explore different drugs - like LSD, MDMA, DMT, shrooms?

Excuse my ignorance btw. hope this didn't make you cringe too much lol

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

First off you need a good set of wheels preferably a 1965 Volkswagen type 2 bus or in CB Radio parlance a microbus. You should be able to purchase a fully restored vehicle for $50,000- $75,000 dollars.

As a straight male you’re going to need a new wardrobe,

You should start off with a pair of Red San Domingo Cargo Pants.
    A Gypsy Bohemian over sized Shirt.
    Shoes are always optional but if you prefer footwear a pair of water buffalo sandals or hemp loafers are an ideal selection.
    Accessories should include a turquoise bracelet, an onyx necklace, or a large peace sign pendant, one gold or silver earring, and a traditional hemp hat

To be continued......................

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Um, I think I would disagree. Doing so would make him a faux hippy. How about an old battered HiAce? A lot more reliable than a VW Kombi. Some hippies adorn their vans with artwork but I prefer to keep my van plain white to avoid attracting attention of the Highway Patrol.
    https://www.hipforums.com/forum/threads/typical-hippy-vehicle.419324/
    The main thing is to change your outlook on life. Stop thinking of life as a contest. Think outside the square. Take time to smell the roses.

hotwater likes this.
  4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Short Answer = "Live the Life"

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Pretty much this...

Running Horse and jimandjan like this.
  6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

READ: Sidartha by Herman Hesse, Midnfullness by Thik Haht Han, any works by Jiddu Krishnamurti, the Prince by Machiavelli, The Social Contract by Rousseau, The First and Second Discourses by Rousseau, and Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. When finished, read what Rachel Maddow has to say about stupid Trump supporters.

7. WOLF ANGEL

As one who recalls the time/s of 60's youth -
    I would advise that you do not go 100% with the Stereotypical depiction of Glam FAB and GROOVY, Smoking Pot, Availability of Free Love/Sex.
    The Myriad of Spectrum Colour became, after overcoming the challenges to Strong Black and White foundations laid down by those that were and that continued to be.
    I like to think that my tag line (Peace + Love . Protest + Protect . Save the Planet) covers the principle/s thereof
    Peace + Love = Engage with others to gain education of the opine of others in a respectful manner, we all should all have a right to individual choice of, and belief. Interaction with those of other views, and faith should be of equal value in the understanding of others. *Harm no one but ...
    Protest + Protect = .....Take No Shit" - these views should not however, be blinded by those who promote their will by and with an oppressive nature of 'the man' / the body, organisations of hatred and/or Government injustice. One must stand up for those who suffer and/or are vulnerable
    Save the Planet = Be Mindful of the Ecological and Environmental effects that we employ and the footprints we leave upon the World that we currently reside within an that which we leave for those who follow
    "The sword in the darkness, watcher on the walls, the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men" is perhaps a apt descript (?)

8. I think you're about 30 to 40 years too late. The only true hippies are from the 60s and 70s. The times have changed as such and so have the drugs. Unless you've experienced the culture and environment of this era it's impossible to get the full ambiance of what being a hippie really was all about. Getting together with friends to sample the current weed that's around, drinking a gallon of cheap wine passed around with ten hits of acid in it, trying to fly under the radar yet make a silent statement "Stick it to the man".

9. WOLF ANGEL

Hippies never grow old - they just mature in experience.
    [​IMG]

Gangster19 likes this.
  10. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Go barefoot.

Its actually sucks at first and takes some work but once you get used to it it feels totally natural and then wearing shoes sucks.

I swear those benefits claimed by all the earthing and barefoot running websites are true, I pegged it as a scam myself. Till I tried as a little experiment and never went back

jagerhans likes this.
  11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Go hitch-hiking and be loved along the way . These days it's a long way , and you will
    know how deep is hippie .

12. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

For only $39.95 you too can be a hippie! Learn the secrets of glass onions, how to seduce women, levitate, and perform astral projection during sex! We accept all cash, money orders, and major credit cards!

Gangster19 likes this.
  13. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I was 18 years old in 1969, the best times of my life. Sex Drugs, Rock and Roll, and looked down on by the older generation.
    Good luck, but it will be hard to match the time. And on the light side I was even called a Dirty Hippie. by a couple of old women.

Gangster19 likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

The best way is to take acid and read Aldous Huxley books, but there isn't time... Just smoke weed. :D

[​IMG]

Gangster19 likes this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Wait...

Wouldn't smoking weed be involved with the acid and reading Aldous Huxley?

soulcompromise likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

:D

Well... When you mix all three of those, there's no telling what might happen. But yes, yes indeed. :D

17. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

First I'll buy some beads
    And then perhaps a leather band to go around my head
    Some feathers and bells
    And a book of Indian lore

I will ask the Chamber Of Commerce
    How to get to Haight Street
    And smoke an awful lot of dope
    I will wander around barefoot
    I will have a psychedelic gleam in my eye at all times
    I will love everyone
    I will love the police as they kick the shit out of me on the street

I will sleep
    I will, I will go to a house
    That's, that's what I will do
    I will go to a house
    Where there's a rock and roll band
    'Cause the groups all live together

And I will join a rock & roll band
    I will be their road manager
    And I will stay there with them
    And I will get the crabs
    But I won't care

Frank Zappa, Who Needs the Peace Corps?

Gangster19, wrat1 and jagerhans like this.
  18. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

At some point, we should discuss the membership fee. $500 gets you a certificate you can hang on your wall and a badge you can wear saying:Full Fledged, Bona Fide Hippie. (Do I need to say that's a joke?)

Seriously, one thing you might consider, assuming we get the virus under control, is to attend a Rainbow Gathering (although not now because of Covid). Last year's was cancelled due to Covid, although some idiots predictably showed up anyhow. Until Covid is under control, if that happens, I'd stay clear, since these would be potentially superspreader events. You should be sure that you're fully vaccinated, and I'd wear a mask. In case you don't know what a Rainbow Gathering is, I'm talking about regional and national gatherings of the Rainbow Family of the Living Light, which is neither gay nor associated with Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition. These are Woodstock-like events, minus the big name rock groups, that are held nationally every year and regionally at various times on national forests. Tens of thousands of hippies have been known to show up. What do they do? Gather! And at the nationals, pray for world peace on the Fourth of July, and celebrate their inter-dependence. Clothing optional. It's as authentically hippie counter-cultural as it gets, and is open to anyone with a bellybutton. It's also illegal without a permit, and there's an on-going battle with the Forest Service over that. Proceed at your own risk, and please don't sue me if you catch something.

But being a hippie is a matter of perception, self-definition, and state of mind. You don't have to do drugs, or wear love beads and certain clothing, or avoid baths. Just be yourself and enjoy life. And be careful! This isn't the sixties, and even though you're nineteen, you're not immortal. Namaste.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Bilby likes this.
  19. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

You may need to take part in a spliff share.

Gangster19 likes this.
  20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bilby, DrRainbow and Tishomingo like this.