How do get a xanax prescription(not recreational)

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by GnarlyBrown, Jul 15, 2013.

1. GnarlyBrown

GnarlyBrown Member

I have social anxiety that's gets worse and worse and now it's ruining my hobbies, street photography, my summer camp and football. I want to get back on meds but I want something that is fast acting, because I only have two weeks till camp and football and want to leave my house with a clear head. I specifically want xanax or any strong acting benzo but I don't know how to guarantee a prescription of that drug. Scared I'll get stuck with a slow acting anti depressant like last time. So how do I steer my psychiatrist into prescribing a benzo? p.s. I'm in highschool so that probably won't help.

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I don't think xanax and football will go well together

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

They'd probably wanna try you on something else first like buspar or an antidepressant or just... CBT for anxiety... benzoes they don't like to rx too much long term and all.. but what you shouldn't do to get them is go in there acting like you are looking for them or give them any reason to think you have addiction probs...

oh, and you may "get stuck w the slow acting anti depressant" first... because they usually wanna see if lesser things will work before rx'ing something that is addictive. In that case, try something else and go back and tell them if it doesn't help..

4. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

Yeah, The last poster is right. They would probably try you on something else first. Maybe something like Paxil. Xanax can be used to treat the same problems, but there's kind of a stigma attached, due to the degree of misuse of it. I have a generalized anxiety disorder myself, and I was started on Oxazepam. It was a long while before they finally switched me to Xanax, (10 years) and by then I had an established relationship with my doctor. If you go in specifically requesting Xanax they will probably be suspicious.

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Plus... one more thing to add ... I have in the past been rx'd benzoes... Ativan and clonzapam and valium but oddly not Xanax.. but anyways... I have panic disorder and have had panic attacks bad enough to go to the e.r. thinking they were heart attacks.. but anyways... for social anxiety I really don't think a benzo would be their first choice.. they are hard enough to get rx'd at times for true panic disorder.. which sucks. I used to get so pissed at my friends who would go to various docs and scam them for benzoes to just take 10 or 20 at a time ... simply because it makes it harder for the ppl who really do just need to take them as prescribed for a real issue... but that's another story...
    oh but anyways, I would emphasize any panic like symptoms you get w the social anxiety to the doctor.... but do not over do it. I actually always think it's weird talking to a doc about anxiety when you want.need meds cause it's hard to talk about "I couldn't breathe.. my heart was pounding..." all the physical symptoms honestly without worrying that they're gonna think you are exaggerating for meds because some ppl do...

6. GnarlyBrown

GnarlyBrown Member

I actually did start to get mini "panic attacks" after my mom passed away last month. But I probably won't bring that up. When ever it happens its just two minutes of short breathes and a beating heart.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

well, you can mention it or not but i'm just saying those are more the symptoms they use benzoes for than general or social anxiety...

8. happydude_60

Benzo's are the only meds they've ever used on me for generalized anxiety. They're used for a wide variety of issues. I know that on Wiki it says something to the effect that Benzo's haven't been shown to be effective for GAD long-term, but in my case they have. Maybe I'm an exception to the rule, I don't know. But I've been taking them since 1998 for that purpose, and had good results. I'm not really trying to be argumentative, just relating my personal experience. I haven't even noticed a tolerance increase in Xanax, and I've been on that for 5 years, although I normally only take about half of what's prescribed.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sorry about your mom, Gnarly. I would mention that. I think a doc would understand that anxiety over her passing and give you some quick, short-term help like you're looking for.

10. Silent_Bob92

Silent_Bob92 Member

Getting xanax or any benzo was relatively easy for me. Just say that you tried all the remedies and herbs (kava kava, kanna, kratom, etc.) for anxiety and depression but nothing helped. Your doc will probably get you a script for some anti depressant with it. Just ditch the anti depressant script and keep the xanax.

Just my 2 cents.

11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Do not tell your doctor that you've tried using kratom for anxiety, that will not help lol.

12. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

do the slow acting ones help?
    or are they just slow?

13. Silent_Bob92

Silent_Bob92 Member

That's how I did it...

Got prescribed 60 .5's. A month later after telling him how I had to take 2, 3 sometimes 4 throughout the day he gave me a script for 90 and then a couple months later he kept giving me 120 .5's. I don't go to him anymore because he didn't want to help with my "ADHD" haha. I only wasted like 1 or 2 scripts. Got enough zannies to last me a couple years as I don't take them too often.

Xanax isn't an opiate, doc's will "give them out" like candy if you tell him how severe your anxiety is.

14. happydude_60

Some will, yeah. But it's an addictive drug and wd's from it can get nasty. When my doc prescribed them he warned me to not tell anybody I had them or I'd be robbed, lol.

15. ramana1

ramana1 Guest

Either be nervous as fuck or act nervous as fuck. I told a female doctor at a quik clinic that I had vaginal warts towards the end of our convo.....this was after I told her about all my other mental issues. I'm a dude, so it was fucked up. You could tell them your issues with anxiety and say you have been prescribed before. Dont be too hungry though . Just tell them you took 1mg twice a day.