How did you make the transition to hippie?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Hari, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I arrived in Boston in the late70's, and the wholle scene was pretty much dead then or in transition, or perhaps hidden, but through an involved connection in the community I found out about 'dance free', and that was a preety good thing happenning, hanging out with yupppies with hippie dreams, but still really cool people to be with.

2. Faye

Faye Member

I don't think that it is a transtion. I think its more of a feeling. A knowing deep with in my soul. Iam both youthful and an old soul at the same time. I think that my views and the way I live, think and behave now as a young woman has a lot to do with my parents. My parents both experinced the sixtes in their own way. My mother was very much an activist as a teen and young adult still is today. I get that social conuiousness from her. She and my father also taught me about the music, we have very similar tastes in music. But my taste in music tends to be a little more open minded then my dad's. I guessed them questions about what life was like when they were younger and about their beliefs and feelings then I drew conculisons for my self. I realized that I was different as young as seven years old. It wasn't until middle school and high school that I realized just how different. While my peers played sports I would much rather read a book or sing, dance,or paint. I have always been very creative. While there minds were closed to the music of decades past I opened my mind and heart to it. They did not understand who Iam and why I seem more mature then most highschoolers and I think that scared them. Sometimes its hard to be a true child of the earth an old soul when we are surrounded by such fear.

3. charmcityhippie

charmcityhippie Member

i made the 'transition' when i realized that i couldn't be something i wasn't.
    all of my life i had tried to fit in. i tried to be what my family wanted me to be, and needless to say, failed spectacularly.

everything came to me in dreams and visions, when i realized i didn't have to despise what i was inside. i didn't have to hide my true self. i don't know what it really was...except for a pure understanding. this deep clarity that came with realizing that i don't have to hide anymore. i don't have to try to be something i'm not. i am who i am, and i need to like who i am, because if i don't, i'm wasting this beautiful life i've been given.

i've always been a pacifist, i don't think that violence solves anything. i think we should look beyond what is first presented, look deeper into the soul of a person. i think we should let go of our senses and absorb the feelings of things, the vibrations, the energy of life in each other and in the world around us. i think we should take care of each other, take care of the earth, work to change the things that are harmful and encourage peace and love.

4. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

I was born one.
    Thanks to the lucky fates.
    I love being who I was born to be.
    The 60s are my obsession.
    I'm writing a book about it.
    Called, "An Homage to The Sixties".

5. Free_love_peace224

Free_love_peace224 Member

great question now i can explain myself!
    i come from a strong mexican family and you know mexicans these days...all gangster...well i was once like that in ohio. i came to Colorado with such a horrible outlook on life. My family in CO has such a great mind and spirit i looked up to them for it. at first i thought they were crazy... :) So manitou springs colorado was my breaking point. i realized life is freaking rediculous! i saw the bacism on money and material things. the FUN in FUN was no longer there for me. amusement parks, arcades, candy...it was all a blur, i realized i could have FUN with a few people some music and a good conversation! that's when i became a hippie. when i decided i didn't have a care in the world for what people thought of me...So yup! that's all! thankyou for the brilliant question!!! how about you? how did your transformation take place?

6. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

Well, you can't be a hippy and a poser at the same time, now can you?

7. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

I never made any conscious transition to or from anything, and I don't completely agree with the term "hippy." But a few years after I totally rejected society's views on damn near everything (mostly just me being a militant nihilist) and made my way through a few heaps of drugs, I came to the conclusion that I personally don't give a damn. But I do care about future generations; whoever is alive after I'm gone shouldn't be left with a mess. Ever been to a real camp ground?

"Take Nothing But Pictures"
    "Leave Nothing But Footprints"

That's the way.

Anyhow, I've been "gruvin' muh hairz" since then to show people it's ok to question norms. If they choose to see it in that way.

8. lovelyhippo

lovelyhippo Member

well, i changed alot in my life. searching for myself, for who i am, my identity. i felt like no one before and just followed everyone else which made me really unhappy because i wasn't myself. it took me a long time to find who i really am. i've always had these values just didn't know it and i honestly can't remember when i became a hippie(or even if i am one) it was only recently. i think i started finding myself when i became vegetarian, a year ago, It started with caring about the animals, getting involved in animal rights, then the environment, always loved nature and being natural, people and the state of the world. i was sick of the mainstream and beliving and doing what people wanted me to and what people expected of me. I started doing my own thing. I'm alot different to my friends and everyone and y'know i never felt so free and happy in my life. also started listening to good music ofcourse!

my parents are totally against who i changed into they think its a bad thing and want me to be totally religous like them. they're very conservative and they are trying to stop me from being who i am and living my dream and making it so hard and always fighting because of me [​IMG]. i really wish i had hippie parents. *sigh*

9. iban

iban Member

I dont now, probably when I heard Hendrix and the Doors.

10. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I presume this question was for me and I must've posted soemething before but let me try it from another angle now....

In my family there has never been a musician or an artist, and this made me feel strange even in all my early yeasrs in schools where no one was into anything creative either...I was 'different' to most people, and I grew up like that until 1967 when my cousin (also an artist) introduced me to rock and hippies, and there I was now belonging to people like myself, and feeling a part of something for the first time.

When I found hipfroums I fel the same thing, because everywhere on the net people were more like ordinary people, with qualities that I can't associate with, and if that was all that was to associate with, I'd spend my life without social contacts.

I am partial to hippies, yet age has never mattered. I feel that the values makes us all one mind, even if the details of how we live are different.

I wouldn't wanna belong to one race or one astrolgiocal sign club, but hippies are cool because we have a base to relate to, yet the many differences within that framework makes the wholle more appealing.

11. Hope_B

Hope_B Member

i think it's began from many years ago but i didn't know what hippie is ..then years later i figure what what is hippie & i liked their way of living & thinking ...i knew the hippies from movies , books , magazines & finally the internet .. there's is no 1 who i copied from ..i saw that my way of thinking & my style more like hippie style & u don't know what did i feel when i knew that there's many gruops of ppl thinks like me so i started 2 b like a hippie but in my own style ,,& thank god !! now i'm the perfect me ^^

12. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

There was no trassition, no one to copy or follow, only Divine Inspiriration that fills you with the Light and Enlightens you to the peak of Self. Your Born Hippie.. ya think the GWBs of the world can transend into Hippies.. nay.. nay I say.. to have to convince a person that goodness and justice and freedom and love are the answers we seek does not compute with some Beings and if they don't get it.. there's no convincing to do.. You dig it or ya don't.. Simple

Bright Blessings
    sh

13. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

Hippie isn't something you join like a club.. it's an individual thing that we are born into.. some of us are just late bloomers and later realize that we think in likemindedness and that is what draws us together. That why we have Gatherings so we can rejoyce in it and celebrate Life. So come to Goodstock2007 and find you Hippieness.

Bright Blessings
    sh

14. l-foote

l-foote L not i.

^^^
    indeed, i was confused and unhappy and I felt as though i was just observing life as opposed to living it until i realized who i am really am. (sometime 2-3 years ago) it's a long story.

one day some girl i chilled with was talking shit behind a bunch of people's back, and i just said "why can't you keep the peace". and it evolved from there

15. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

there was no transition for me. ive always been the way i am, with the same values and the same lifestyle chioces. there was a brief time where i wasnt comfortable with it and tried to assimilate myself into the rest of teeny culture, but that was short-lived lol.
    i guess it came from my parents. my dad was a hippie in the 60s and my mom too young to be a real hippie, but she taught me to respect life and be myself.
    i dont call myself a hippie. im just me.

16. mlee27

mlee27 Member

what exaxtly is a hippie?? someone who eats organic food, wears patcouili oil, doesn't wash, has dreads, is promiscuous, opposses established instituions, opposes war, opposes nuclear weapons,listens to the dead and phish, and experiments with psychedelic drugs??????i fuckin hate labels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when and how did u become human should be the question.

17. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i suppose youre right
    labels are stupid but everyone does it. tht being said, i think its pretty damn hard to define what a hippie is. who cares anyway? one could argue that i true hippie wouldnt give a shit about being a hippie lol

18. omegared

omegared Member

I was born this way I guess... transition??? Are we going somewhere...???

19. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

When I was in middle school I had a lot of problems with my back. I was teased cause I wore a back brace for most of my young life. In 6 or 7th grade I made the decision to forget all the worries and become a free spirit... which turned into a hippie. I let myself feel good and not worry about shit. In high school I then took a lot of shit for being a hippie. My true friends loved my "style and beliefs" but others wrote me death threats etc... so I gave it up and tried to conform. That was for 3 or so years... a few months ago I realised that I was so unhappy being "preppy" or whatever it was called. So I decided to be my true self again. I'm totally enjoying my life now. I don't consider myself a "hippie" per say but I have "hippie traits." I just want to be free spirited as I use to be and allow myself to be secure with who I am... not just changing because someone isn't happy with me. I don't know... it's kind of a big circle for me.

20. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I do want to add the my mom totally supported my decision when I was in middle school. She's a little hesitant that I've found my path again... I think she liked it when I was trying to be all Hollister whatever.... whatever the trend is. But, she's ok.

Also, the fact that I've found my path again has a lot to do with my decision to become a vegetarian. I've been studying veg for a year almost have been practicing for 6 months. It's brought me back to my roots.