How did you make the transition to hippie?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Hari, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Of course people can share the same values and outlook of hippies. I do so quite a few myself. People can even share the same values and outlook of the old Greek, but it doesn't make them one. But the difference is that there are of course real new hippies around, but not as many as people that say that they are. Even the half of the people on this forum isn't a hippie. And I'm not a hippie either, and also without the desire to be one. However, I admit I have quite a few things in common with them. Annoying at times, haha. ;)

2. lunarflowermaiden

lunarflowermaiden Senior Member

I do agree with you that the majority of people on this forum are not what would be considered a hippie, not that I am downing them for that. The only people who annoy me here are the hypocrites who preach about loving one's fellow man, and then I read their other threads and posts, which are disgusting and full of hate. I really do not fit into any label myself, nor do I want to. I share many, many values with the hippie subculture, but I have never exactly been sure what to consider myself.

On a side note, I love Greeks and their food. Perhaps I am a wannabe Greek [​IMG].

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, I don't want to sound lame... I just stop here. :tongue: I'm not downing anyone neither though.

4. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

For me it was my cousin who was already a self-proclaimed hippie, who introduced me to all the works when I moved back to my hometown after a long time of moving like gypsies my family and I because of my fathers job.

I was already 17, and did not belong to anything, and had felt like a stranger among even my family, being the only interested in arts.

When I met my cousin, I was going to rock dances where the bands to me were as good as the originals,( Stones,Rascals, Animals), etc, and even though the Beatles were not popular that year, me and my cousin would listen to it in secret (it was when that whole controversy about John Lennon representing the Antichrist thing).

Two years later I moved to the village and my cousin went to Spain to study art, and one day in the summer of 69, he found me in the village and we hanged out for one last time.

Last thing I hear he was working for the pentagon. (go figure)

5. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i grew up one

6. The manticore

The manticore Member

through smoking weed

7. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I was just me...forever and always.
    Others labeled me as a hippie...its all good. :)

8. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I used to hate haircuts and shoes at 10, so I had the backbone for it.

9. Isil

Isil Member

Heh, people at my school say that im a hippie (in fact, im called "Hippie" o_O).

Meh.

Though I dont like the idea of lables...I think that its rather silly to proclaim yourself as totally appurtenant to a set style or ideology.

Well, I guess it depends...Nevermind that, lol xD

Anywho, I adore the 60's and hippies. I connect with alot of things from then, so...o_O

10. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

I turned to a hippie quite slow really...
    Who was your mentor? My Dad (Rest in peace <3) was a big hippie, dressed like a hippie, listened to led zeppelin, Lennon , the stones, ac-dc etc, all the songs I listen too.

Then about a year ago I started to really question my philosophy on life and changed quite drastically many things, like going vegetarian and changing the way on how i look on life :p

11. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

In my book,,, you are another Jonis Joplin.

12. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

most of my influences did come from my father when i was young.

when i first listened to his Neil Young and Bob Dylan records i fell in love.

[​IMG]

13. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

well, one day I was lying their comfortably, dozing off into my own little wonderland. All of a sudden the walls started to ripple and change around me, I was terrified........a hole in my floor opened up and I fell into it head first! The walls were tight around me at this point and everything was dark, I couldn't breathe! I slowly started to descend down this surreal hole........I didn't understand what was happening.........all of a sudden everything got bright, air rushed in around me and I realized I was coated in this sticky, mucusy substance....something grappled around my feet....something else smacked my ass, I began to scream out in terror........then I saw my mothers eyes, and it finally dawned on me, I had arrived.

14. Isil

Isil Member

:eek:

Im honoured...I love Janis, heh. I think that she's one of the greatest people to ever have lived.

Thanks xD

15. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I saw her lifestory in VHI and boy did I see a struggling soul! She was persecuted by her classmates in Texas, moved to Frisco, got into the hip movement there, drug scene, bands, the works. She went through more than people can go in one lifetime, and that's what made her an icon of the times like Dylan, the Beatles and Hendrix. Those four were the pioneers.

16. Balloonatic

Balloonatic Senior Member

my parent were fucking hippies and they tried to raise me as one.

i used to think i was born in the wrong era, that i belonged in the 50's, 60's, & 70's, but me and my friends were talking and now i think that maybe its a sign that we were born now. because look at our parents.

17. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

hahaha what transition? for me i was like "waiiiitt... a minute....why am i called goth? I'm a vegetarian, wiccan/hindu, anit-war, tree hugger...wtf?!" started wearing flaired jeans which are now my favorite and are mucho cheaper than tripp pants from hot topic and guess what else? I FOUND GOOD MUSIC! and thats how samluvsthebeatles became a hippie. ^.^

18. praying4peace

praying4peace Member

I only recently did about a year ago. I was going through a time where i didnt have a clue what i wanted then i would watch hippies in town and i was so interested. then i just adapted into my own person with a "hippie" frame of mind. Im now having the most fun ive ever had in my life:)

19. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

the beatles often have a great influence in this manner don't they?

20. Spiderweb Sitar

Spiderweb Sitar Member

Well, I grew up with classic rock... my dad would play Bob Seger and the Beatles and Creedence and the like all the time. I was always getting repremanded for not wearing shoes, and my favorite thing was going to the park. I have this distinct memory of going to the zoo when I was around 3 or 4 and wondering why all the old cages (from the 60s and such) were so damn small... no way was it right for an animal to be in that situation!

I always expressed an interest in the 60s, but in that superficial elementary school sort of way. I didn't have many friends, and just sort of internalized throughout the end of elementary school/beginning of middle school. By 8th grade, I was pretty miserable, and then a close friend started telling me about his lifestyle... he's clearly of the hip-persuasion, and we'd discuss philosophy for <i>hours</i>. I started listening to Janis, Zep, and Ween around then. A few months later, we did "Aquarius" in an acting class I was taking, and I rented HAiR the night we first staged the song. I knew as I was watching it that <i>that</i> was what life had in store for me. Since then, my soul's been gradually breaking free from society's grasp.