How did the hippie period end?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by LittleQueenie, May 18, 2013.

1. oldstinkyhippie

oldstinkyhippie Guest

have to say Hippies , as a generality and group have come and gone but never really gone away. I guess it would depend on your definition of a hippie. Hippie names and clothing seem to be back as a fad but the political activism we saw in the 1960s seems to be here to stay. activism , generally is a result of social and political problems. these days the country is experiencing countless crises. from the economy to the decline in the "nuclear family" the one positive that has arisen has been huge surge in political involvement and awareness. weither you agree or disagree with the current administration its inception , for good or bad has motivated "change".... lol might not be what the president promised but if nothing else good has come from the last 5 years its been people are getting involved. in my eyes , that will make the country a better place.

peace yall!! :eek:)

Jason

Check out my Groovy Hippie Site Here

2. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

And to say that is like saying the 60's only consisted of festivals.
    Also don't forget, Altamont was officially the Altamont FREE concert.
    As I understand it money was never what made Woodstock before, during or afterwards. It was a vibe. A time, season.
    Woodstock wasn't what it was because of a few promoters or money. Those guys had done several big events (miami pop festival :) ) Woodstock was supposed to be a medium sized, profitable event, it only became free (and a freeforall) when 100 times as many people started showing up.
    fwiw: http://upstatelive.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/barefoot-in-babylon-woodstock-43-years-ago-remembered/

And the spirit that I see in hindsight is what made it happen.
    Same as the spirit at Altamount. disclaimer, I was 6yrs old.

Looking back, I see a 'shift' between Woodstock and Altamount, is all I'm saying. Not about festivals, or any one thing. Sorry to burn you guys out on my hero but here it is again.
    Take what you like, leave the rest. :sunny:
    (from wiki)

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Remembering when John Lennon cut his hair and pronounced: its Over

and lots of people shorn their love-locks as The Punk Revolution was spawned in NYC in the early '70's The Punks were Greasers.

The Oil shock of '73 was an economic shock and jobs were no longer so easy to find and people started to straighten up in response.

Remembering the Concerts of Woodstock, NY and Altamount, Ca. closed out The 60's; and the deaths of those rock-stars at this time. it changed the cultural climate. The early rock -stars seemingly retired to self meditate ( medicate) or to unhealthy behaviors that tamped down inspiration.

Remembering my first draft card and then the ending of The Draft in "73/74, ending an issue that had coalesced The Hippies.

4. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

@littleQueenie...
    bullshit..hippies wil NEVER die...it's an attitude...a state of mind...
    an inner feeling...allright...lots of things have changed since the 60's..
    I agree with what some folks said on this thread..but..i disagree..
    with the fact..that hippies will EVER die...that's a wrong statement..:(
    somebody said..don't remember who?
    that if one said..I'm a hippie...that's a boaster..
    Yes....i agree with that dude..:2thumbsup:
    one sees a true hippie=eye to eye..a talk/a bong/a positive experience/
    then..we can say...you're hippie at heart:love:

[​IMG]

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

no one is saying hippies will die :)
    As is yours
    :2thumbsup:

Kinda feel like writing this morning, i can share a few ideas behind why i have such reverence for that quote of Thompsons.

Ya Granny, right on. I sometimes feel like people have an impression that "hippies" were an isolated sub group, with no history or future outside of that time period of ~ 65-75 but as you noted, they didn't just pop up overnight like a fad.
    Check out this gem i found right here at Hip, courtesy of Skip !
    http://www.hippy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=243

6. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

As Guer said, it's not like hippies disappeared, because hippies were never properly defined as
    [​IMG]
    That image is a stereotype of just one period in a long history of alternative seekers. Todays hippies are everywhere because of the 60's tho... they are our teachers, parents, social workers, politicians. We just don't call Russ Feingold a hippy cause he doesn't fit that madison avenue stereotype, even though he is clearly an "aware" guy...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Feingold

7. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Note the mention of mass-media below. This, IMHO doesn't get near the recognition it deserves as an important component in the folklore of hippies.

http://vi.uh.edu/pages/buzzmat/htdtiswoodstock.html

I like this site:
    http://www.worldwidehippies.com/2011/12/07/occupy-aarp/

8. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

I never intended to suggest that Altamont, or any other single event ended what most people call the 'hippy era'. Taken as a whole, it feels to me that 1969 was the end of the sixties literally and figuratively.
    Leading up to Aug 1969 and Woodstock on the groovy side of the equation we had:
    Millbrook
    The human rights struggle (women, minorities, under-privledged activism)
    The Summer of Love and the Human Be-Ins.
    Peoples park, where the people came together and took back vacant and abandoned land from the government and turned it into a park.
    Yippies.
    Resurrection City.
    The Red Dog Saloon.

The list goes on. Beautiful groups and subgroups of people were fighting against the myriad injustices of society. Not that bad events never happened...

Just before that crossroads of human history, 1969 we also had

A good 2-3 years of highly sensationalized, often entirely fabricated propaganda fed to the world through the media. The tone of reporting and media content went from the back pages of publications in the human interest, oddities sections, to serious cover stories with semi-honest reports of promising new developments in mental health, to stories of mayhem, collapse of society, Manson, Linkletters daughter, the Hells Angels.
    Hunter himself admitted why he first embedded with the Angels to write the book that put him on the public radar:
    Sensationalism ALWAYS sells.
    Remember this photo? Life magazine 1947

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot

The reporting of that event did more to cement the image of the "outlaw biker" more than anything else... from that day on most reporting on bikers and outlaws was skewed in that direction.
    It's a great illustration of what I feel happened at the end of the sixties.

9. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Fresh in everyones mind in Dec 1969, the last days of "the sixties"...

LSD was such a "public menace" that it had been illegalized after being vilified for a few years in the press.
    Hells Angels.
    Martin Luther King.
    The 1968 democratic national convention in Chicago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Report#Early_life_and_career

Then, we had Altamont. We forget that even after Woodstock, the festival was officially called The Altamont Free Concert.
    But then...

Even if you were moderately hip, how do you think people responded to that news?

10. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Then its 1970... over the next several years...
    The war got worse and worse in every way conceivable.
    The Beatles split.
    Kent State.
    Jerry Rubin and the Chicago Seven, and the whole Helter Skelter trail that consumed the media more than OJ Simpson EVER did.

Don't forget the reporting of the time...
    Put yourself in the shoes of "Average Joe American".

Who remembers this shit?
    He was 17 years old...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson

That's pretty much unknown, but everybody knows that Manson was crazed on LSD, right?
    You see where that goes... :(

BTW, ring a modern bell at all? Sounds just like all the recent stories we do remember, the authorities knowing all about how messed up someone is... and doing little to nothing. Same shit with the psychos in the earlier shootings this year.

The "hippie" movement can be seen through Malcolm X definition of hip. From the Nature Boys to the Beats to "The Hippies" of the sixties... people cut from that cloth now rave, burn, occupy.

So the next time someone comes along and talks about hippies as if they all "died" in 1970, maybe we can share more with them more than just peace signs and The Warlocks and tye-dye.

I like to remind people that the U.S. government created Ken Keysey and the Merry Pranksters, Harvard and the ivy league/psychiatric community created Timothy Leary. :gossip:

11. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

thanks for listening, hope someone enjoys it and by all means comment and critique, as i also hope i've relayed good information. :)

and now without further ado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfW6bw4ZP8"]SHA NA NA LIVE 1969-1989 P.5 - YouTube

12. wannabe free angus73

wannabe free angus73 Member

I don't think hippies are born,its a choice made by those who want the freedom to decide there own path,even when everyone tells you your crazy.

13. Michael Starless

Michael Starless Member

There was no official end it was just people became more lazy and selfish

14. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

it ended because they grew up Lol... my parents were both a part of that scene, even tho my dad was in the Navy at the time. When he was off duty he was all flairs and Jimmy Hendrix music.......... Sha Na Na! Awesome!!!!!!!!!! At the hop is one of my all time fav songs :)

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The War in Vietnam ended, President Nixon resigned from office, the counterculture had its share of setbacks, and bell-bottoms became
    Flair, became straight, once again,….the end of an era......

16. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Four Dead in Ohio

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Being born in 1960 and graduating high school in 1978, I'd say this statement is inaccurate.

I do think it had alot to do with the change in music. Kids attitudes and lifestyles change with whatever music is popular at the time.

I mean...Disco came about. Need I say more?

18. lion1978

lion1978 The King

It didn't it just went undercover

Driftrue likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Visitor

20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

menopause.

Irminsul, Orison and storch like this.