How did the hippie movement all start?

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by lizzzeh, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Skip,
    If you want a taste of the old Haight scene visit the Haight Street Fair still going with some of the same cast and/or the Oregon Counrty Fair where a lot of us migrated. They both have web pages....

2. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

I sure hope the the person who posted the original question comes back here. You all have posted some pretty great stuff here.

Thanks, Night_Owl, for the High School history feedback. Very insightful.

pairadocs, awesome.
    Very well covered. Peace - Awesome explanation. Thank you greatly. Love - incredibly wonderful way to totally express it. Thank you once again. A very clear flow. Excellent.

I had totally forgotten the Berkeley Barb. Thank you for the reminder. It and The Oracle were like night and day, and are perfect examples of what I was attempting to express to Rev JC. Back then SF and Berkeley were like polar opposites. Looking into both of these online would prove a perfect example to anyone who was curious enough to look.

I'm with Skip that the heart of it all can still be found. Maybe not exactly like that Magic Moment in Time, but there still is some out there. And yes it can be found.

I share Skips interest and curiosity as to what is being said in schools. Maybe we should scope out our libraries and lay hands on some books or get the names and buy some. If things are twisted then we should all get together and do something about it.

What do you think Skip? Rev JC. We could write our owe short and sweet style of Cliff Notes. History. pairadocs, the true will Out? Night_Owl? A new project? All? Maybe a teen/ college best seller?

Thoughts and Feedback, all?

Strategically Yours, Kenny

3. Scorpio Kenny

Hi my Partner. Who ya doing Ranger?

4. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Sounds like fun. I'm sure we all have our areas that we can contribute and discuss.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

5. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

You see here is a fine example of what I observe is lacking in my generation. Ideas come from conversation and Scorpio Kenny suggests a COURSE OF ACTION based on those ideas (a good positive course of action). It can't be summed up any better than to quote Scorpio Kenny "we should all get together and do something about it" - I say something like that to my contemporaries and they just mumble, change the subject and start bitching about something else. ACTION is what is getting lost in this country and it needs to come back - real quick. So I'm left with trying to lead by example and I'm just not charismatic enough to pull that off. How do you motivate - even like minded people - to TAKE ACTION? I'm asking you Scorpio Kenny - or anyone else who knows.

I think A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn would be a great place to start when we're talking about the counter-culture in the United States. I don't know about you folks, but I was pretty damn angry at my high school history teachers when I got into college and started getting exposed to some different perspectives on the history of this country.

- oh and to Night Owl, I'm extremely glad and more than a little relieved to know that you discussed Hoffman in your class, because, as you can see, I felt very cheated because mine didn't. I still hear people grumble where I live (downstate) about the Chicago riots -then I look at London today and how little interest our media seems to have taken in it, the emphasis on the looting and the de-emphasis on what started the whole thing. Lo and behold, one of the major networks covers an all too rare positive story about a Muslim high school football player who is strictly observing day fasting for Ramadan during preseason practice. These news item choices are not accidental - but here I ramble. . .

6. Scorpio Kenny

JC
    Yer right. I layout books for press using indesign and edit and do research and write and do edit rewrites. I know that you are on stuff. This could truly work. Addendum to the 60s Cliff Notes for truth seekers.

Can we get the other guys too?

Is that a six string bass???? I have never seen one.

7. Scorpio Kenny

I see what you are saying and feeling.

But you see most of the generations of the U.S. had Movers. 50s, World War II, etc. And the masses.

A good example is the "Beat Poets" If you look it all up, in retrospect, you will find the same series of names of people over and over again. What? 12 people were a published movement and are all now in the Smithsonian? Yeah, it can really work like that. You and the other people that I listed can do that and be in the Smithsonian 20 years from now. Check the list of names and realize that any dozen folks can change the world. Especially us with paradocs on our team.

The true is that the pre-Summer of Love '67 hippies, Most of them Freaked out and ran out of town when the Summer of Love '67 100,000 people onslaught showed up on their nice neat pretty little door step. They shit bricks and headed for the hills which was the ultimate cop out. Real people dealt with it and tried to save lives. My friends at the Haight Ashbury Switch Board worked 24/7 to find the incoming people a place to crash. Neighborhood people printed info sheets to hand out to the hitchhikers that listed the Switchboard phone number and all other community resources: free store, free clinic, free food, free meals, free laundry, and everything helpful. When disaster strikes, the REAL People jump to the Fore, the weenie "Totally Loving" hippies run for the hills, and then make cop out excuses for their actions. Oh, moving to the country was the "so true hearted thing to do" Barf.

You have a cosmic obligation to teach all of those people who came there to understand. To share your own gift with others. That is Love. As paradocs so eloquently put it. The Real Love. Yet when the real big true test the "Change the World For Real" challenge arrived on their doorstep they shit on those sisters and brothers. They didn't hug them, receive them or teach them or Love them. They, the half of them, went all chicken shit and ran like hell. So much for love. You can talk the talk, but can you walk and run like hell shitting purple tie dye all the way out of town? They left the true half n town baling out the boat, with a half a crew. Duh, thanks **** tree folks.

Altamont didn't kill the hippie thing. Selfish people killed the hippie thing, like the diggers with their big ass egos. And snide Selfish know it alls that were holier than thou.

Back the the point. We can do anything. History book. Anything.

jamgrassphan, do you think that the Beat Poets stayed hanging around with their contemporaries? No F___ing way. They went through dozens of people in New York and then they when through dozens of people in San Francisco and then they found the right fit of people. Those are in the Smithsonian and the books. A movement.

The list of people that I named could do the same velocity of dynamic. It only requires the common clear vision and common dedication.

What can I say?

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

9. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Well the pre-symptoms of that particular 'revolution' are VERY similar to the ones we're seeing now. Much like the current economical state is similar to that of times shortly before the great depression. When I say symptomatic, I mean the true definition of the word. The Tea Party and the recent surge in LGBT's seeking equality in marriage and overall treatment are a couple of those symptoms. I say this because it shows peoples want to organize, the want to change with demonstration not legislation. They see how bureaucratic it all is and want a quicker, more effective means of change. Something they actually have something to do with.

The reason people were outraged...or best I can figure, is they all felt a relatively simultaneous 'social claustrophobia'. It wasn't the Vietnam war that started it, no no. That war was just a heat source, the cold war would be much more accurate an exchange for that statement. During the cold war we were being taught to fear things that no human being should regularly think about. Nuclear war wasn't an impossibility. In less than 4 seconds, you, your home, everyone you know or care about could be incinerated because of something you had NOTHING to do with. The government constrained on people's freedoms and did it to keep us safe from the 'communists'. This was cultivating a generation in a way that the people no longer accepted. They felt powerless and were very scared...cornered really. Anyone that's cornered will fight back eventually, even if its through protest. The ingredients were in the right combination, and boiled past what the people could willingly accept. The war just went on for too long, and no body could deny that.

Now were being taught to fear things of a similar plain. Not as graphic, but just as terrifying. They are constraining on our freedoms because of it and none of us have a REAL understanding of it. The Afghan war has been at a relative 'sizzle' as 5000+ or so people have been killed. The Vietnam war was much more disastrous in terms of life lost. A lot of people become apathetic because of the following thought: 'Well the Afghan war has dragged on for almost 10 years now and the people aren't assembling...so I'd better not get involved.'. What these people forget is something that is incredibly important. The Vietnam war went on for quite a spell before the people actually took REAL notice of it. The war wasn't the only thing that people had a problem with either. Equal rights boosted it quite a bit. People were just generally tired of being treated like cattle. Once things get serious enough, and it goes on for long enough... people WILL take notice. It takes a lot to pull a person from his xbox now adays... Its just a question of 'How much are people willing to put up with before it boils over'. My guess is not much more than what has already been done.

The ingredients are all there and it won't take very much at all to heat things up again. I have a feeling about it.

10. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

I've never done layout for books, but I use indesign everyday for newspaper layout and I could definitely help with vector art via Ai. Just putting it out there. . .

11. Scorpio Kenny

You see? This is exactly what I mean. You never know who has what going on, until you put yourself out there First. Bold. Put yourself out there First. Be Brave. It really doesn't matter.

Then most everybody else chimes in an plays their cards. Then we see each other. All the cards get out on the table. Not just talk. Real stuff. Here's how we make a team. Teams Do Things. Teams make more money than one guy. Teams can reveal the truth. Teams have power.

Stay in touch on the AI. Our book layout is a generic two column. And this too.

Attention Skip!

You have two layout friends. LOL. JC This could actually happen.

To tell you the truth, I find that it is way more fun to work on projects with a group of people together then it is to do all of the work solo. Camaraderie Rocks. Much more fun to pull together.

12. liberaljoe619

liberaljoe619 Guest

the hippie movement died because women left the cause the founder gave up on making the world a paradise. they couldn't fight the big bad capitalist

13. liberaljoe619

liberaljoe619 Guest

the world became a TMZ, Karadashian obsessed society. greed is good society like wall street

14. Scorpio Kenny

Boy that one sure ended this thread.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The 60s?

I think really you can trace it back to Pagans vs Christians something something BC

16. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Sounds like the seeds of a plan. And yes that is a six string bass. Too bad you can't see the Fender Decal on the headstock in the picture.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

17. Scorpio Kenny

A Point of Clarification
    B.C. stands for Before Christ. The point, I don't think that you can trace it back that far 'cause there weren't any Christians then.

Must have been Anno Domini.
    Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ").

LOL

18. lizzzeh

lizzzeh Member

Wow everyone, thanks for all the information!! It really helped me answer my questions and also put a very nice perspective on how the issue as well :)

19. Scorpio Kenny

Can you tell us the title of your high school history book? We all hope.

I'd like to buy or get a copy from the library and read what it says. Others of us as well.

Thank you.

Kenny :sunny:

20. lizzzeh

lizzzeh Member

I actually didn't use a history book this year. My school has decided to integrate laptops into my education this year. Luckily, I had a pretty good teacher. We didn't cover hippies too much, but we listened to some protest music (some Bob Dylan songs, CCR, etc) and vaguely discussed the values of those flower children. He talked about the reason why everyone was disgusted with the government, but not really the impact the hippie movement had on society, or why it was so...original and present as it was/is?

I suppose I was just looking for something more specific. Hope that answers stuff

Peace