How Did S*** Lose The 'E'?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Jimbee68, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

"Force shites upon Reason's Back."

—Benjamin Franklin.

As you can see, the S word used to have an e on the end. Actually, interesting story. As you can see, in Ben Franklin's time it was a perfectly acceptable word. The F word always seems to have been taboo. Fart has just become unacceptable. And the jury's out on snot, now at least.

I digress. But when and how did it lose the E? It is from the Germanic -skīt, meaning to expel, to force out. But no one ever talks about how it lost the e. How did it happen?

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I think it's an Americanization of the English language. When I was there I heard it with the 'e' almost exclusively, but not often in proper discourse...

Constantine666 likes this.
  3. Constantine666

Constantine666 Members

Kind of like the Americanization of Arse to A$$.
    We find that some time around the mid 1800's the term Jackass became popular to refer to stupid men, so it isn't odd to think it would be shortened.
    ie. "He's got a face like the southbound end of a northbound Jackass."

4. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Shipping high in transit. Was a line drawn in ships hoids to keep it from exploding. Was hauled to the colonies.