how come?

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Jetblack, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

ok i dont have a probelm with gays or anything so plz dont take this post offensively in any way, but i just had a question how come gay men mainly always talk like they do i mean is this just to support the theory that some ppl r born gay? i mean is this natrual for all gays? or is something they do to kinda have pride in the fact they r gay?

2. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

Well, there are a number of explanations.

When a historically oppressed group with common interests comes together, members of that group tend to develop similar habits that give them comfort. The "gay lisp" is an example of such a habit. I tend to believe that it might be easier for your average gay man to take on the higher pitches and slurs involved just because he's heard it a lot and isn't afraid to acquire it. It doesn't mean that he's genetically predisposed to talk in such a way. Little gay boys don't use the same expressions. Or if some of them do, it's coincidence.

Also there's the pride or identification issue. Many men who talk like that may simply desire to advertise the fact that they're gay in the hope of getting a date, someone else who's gay to talk to, etc.

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I know many gays, and none of them talk like that. I'm bi, and I don't talk like that. I just want to say that I have met many gays, in addition to the ones I know, and none of them talk like that. The only ones I can even think of is that gay guy from seinfeld with the leather jacket and this black guy from the dennys down the street, but he's kind weird, even without the lisp(sp).

4. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I admire the responses prior to mine. I have NO IDEA what the question is or means. "...how come gay men mainly always talk like they do..."

What the f**k does that mean anyway?

5. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

Think 'Carson' from Queer Eye, Duncan and you will have a fair idea!

6. butterfly

butterfly Member

ARGH! Punctuation! Ok....I'm going to go back and read that slowly....

7. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

my question was refering to the lisp that gays usually talk in well atleast the 2 gay guys i know 1 of them does and the other doesnt have a lsip just kidna a high voice and iw as wondering how come most gays or atleast the stereo type of gays is because of thier high voice and how they acquire it, that was my question

8. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

as someone else said...

I don't actually know anyone who talks like that on a personal level.

9. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I know of a few in my area, but I have to admit that I'm a little turned off by it. Probably because of a couple of them who try too hard to fit the stereotypes rather than letting themselves just be themselves. Maybe the turn off is the lack of individuality and not the mannerisms themselves. But this is just my personal opinion and experience.

Mono

10. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

I don't think the "gay lisp" really has much to do with homosexuality. I just think it's just common with femenine guys, both gay and straight.

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

Because you can't tell the 'noraml' talking ones are gay, duh.