How Come All The "hippies" Are Wearing Make-up?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT?
    Hippie is a stereotype. I live how I when and I'm NOT a hippie. It's people like you that feel that have to have a stereotype hanging over their heads that classify themselves as hippies.

2. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

You're making no sense. So there's no such thing as hippies? To me, a hippie is someone who diverts from mainstream culture, has a love of nature, lives in fellowship with other people, supports peace, and refuses to conform to society's standards. That's what I mean when I say "hippie".

3. morcheeba

morcheeba Member

It's a very stereotypical thinking, sorry. You have a strong opinion on make-up and so on, fine, but not everyone has to feel the same way as you do.

4. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

No, he is NOT a hippie. But I think I understand the misinterpretation between you and everyone else:

Predsident Bush is not a hippie. He hates hippies. Many people here are not hippies. I am not a hippie (in the traditional sense of the word). HOWEVER: these people aren't CALLING these other people hippies. They are saying in order for YOU to be a true hippie, you should not care so much about labels. It doesn't tell you as much as you think it does about a person. It doesn't tell you if they are a good person or not.

IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER IS SOMEONE IS A HIPPIE OR NOT!!! YOU SHOULD GIVE THEM THE SAME FREEDOM AND RESPECT YOU WOULD GIVE ANYONE!!! I am 99% sure, no matter how "into" this hippie thing you are, you will not always be a hippie. In fact you will probably change your "scene" in less than a year. I know you don't think so, but people go through phases. During my time as a hippie, I learned a lot. One of those things is, accept everyone as they are! Hippie or not, it doesn't matter. If you are cool to everyone, you will make an impact for your cause and you. If you are an ass about everything, that will cause people to associate that attitude with your causes/politics/others like you. Hippie in the 60's was the only real way for disgruntled youth to not appear as a conservative (Since most couldn't buy motorcycles and join the Hells Angels). Nowadays, hippies have blossomed into so many areas like Punks, goths, metal heads, and about any sub culture. But ya know what? I have met both conservatives and liberals in all those groups. Nowadays, how you dress or anything doesn't really mean shit in relation to your politics or beleifs. IT DOESN'T MATTER AS MUCH AS YOU THINK IT DOES!!!

My advice, you think way WAY to much of labels so if you want to grow as a person, give up this hippie thing for a little while and focus on being you and accepting others (HIPPIE OR NOT!!!). I guarentee you will be a better person, and a lot more of a hippie then than you are now. Hippiedom comes from the inside, it doesn't fucking matter what you listen to, or if you wear tie-dye or patchwork. Anybody can listen to John Lennon and put a flower in their hair, it takes a big person to accept others as they are, regardless of how they appear or act.

5. Beyond-the-Clouds

Beyond-the-Clouds Senior Member

Artificial substances do not belong on our bodies. Make up is just a cover up. Mize well just get a full out mask. And this forums is for hippys. Others can go elsewhere.

6. WoodstockChild

Honestly! Well, I came to Hippy.com sort of expecting to find HIPPIES. I haven't found one!
    Why are high-school clones in a website called "hippyland"? Don't they have somewhere else to be?

7. Beyond-the-Clouds

Preach it! All those other people should go to some other forums.

8. WoodstockChild

It's true! This is HIPPY.COM! Why are you looking at me like I'm insane because I expect there to be HIPPIES on here?

9. morcheeba

morcheeba Member

I get the point, but then again-it's a public forum and everybody can join, right?
    You can't go like blocking people or tell them to go away, just because some of them are not maybe as hippie as you are.

10. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

the only way to create more freaks in the world is to let the non-freaky people hang around with the freaky people. freakiness is contagious ya know. ;)

11. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Show me where it says YOU HAVE TO BE A HIPPIE OR BE A 15 YEAR OLD THAT THINKS (S)HE IS A HIPPIE TO BE HERE. C'mon....show me.

12. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Flava Flave was a hippie?

13. Beyond-the-Clouds

No, flava flav is a classical pianist. But he didn't conform. He wore a clock when no one else wore a clock. Seems like most of the non hippy people are in their 20s and 30s. That's a pattern I've noticed.

14. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Honey, you will never meet another hippie. With a mind as closed as yours about others, with a deffinition that everyone has o be just like you to be a hippie, you will never meet people. By you deffinition, those at woodstock werent hippies, John Lennon wasn't a hippie, Bob Dylan wasn't, and your precious Grand Funk Railroad wasnt. You are the most exclusivist person I have ever met, besides some white supremacy people (at least you aren't racist). You have no ability to accept anyone who disagrees with you or is any differant than from you. Honestly, I feel really sorry for you. You can't accept other people, and in turn, you won't be accepted.

You missy, are not a hippie. No matter how much tie dye you wear, no matter how much you scream peace, no matter how many Beatles CD's you own, you aren't a hippie. You know why? You have missed all the main ideas. Of love, acceptance, of tolerance. You won't even accept the possibility you MIGHT be wrong in your thinking! You are self-centered, and care nothing about others.

15. prismatism

prismatism loves you

you didn't even read what i wrote, did you?

NOBODY on hipforums is a hippie besides you so i guess you don't have to listen to anyone. why don't you start your own forum? then you can drown in your own closed-minded ideas, nobody will disagree, and the population will be %100 "real" hippie who meet all your ridiculous criteria.

diversity makes life interesting. change is the only way to grow. stubbornness shows stupidity.

16. stebo32

stebo32 amanita monster

lol and do u think the real hippies like u say, who lived in the 60's, spent their days on an internet forum trying to learn how to b more hip . hell no, they just lived, now stop trying to live the perfect hippy life and feel teh life, feel yourself, feel your consciousness for once, please!!!

17. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i guess i went through the same kind of phase when i wanted to be a punk. the only way for me to be a punk was to dress exactly like the stereotype and tell everyone else they weren't punks. that was years ago. but i was a dumb little piece of shit for a while. hopefully woodstockchild will snap out of this crap sooner than i did, because it doesn't benefit you in any way.

18. WoodstockChild

Maybe you could've just tolerated my opinion in the first place instead of trying to convince me it was wrong. And you're talking to me about tolerance.

19. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

expect all you want, it doesn't make your wishes true

There are plenty of other folks on here who don't identify as hippies, does that make it wrong for us to be on here? I'm also on a site called clitical, designed to help women deal with sexual issues but men post on there too, or should they not be allowed to because it's intent is to help women?

We're entitled to free speech, to our opinions, to post on here even if we aren't hippies. You're allowed to rant and rave about makeup on people, but it just shows how shallow you are to the rest of us.

20. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Piggy-backing on Rayne Lyric:

By setting high standards of what is a hippie and what is not a hippie then not allowing for any deviation on these standards you run the risk of duality. There is a fine line that everyone must walk in life. Whether you chose to walk on either sides of it or right on the line, all depends on your words and your actions. If you chose either side, whether it be near the line or as far left (or right) of it as you can get, you still are no better than the side you preach against. However, if you chose to walk the line (forgive me Johnny Cash), you see both the good and the bad of either side, and try to keep a balanced view of both. Example: Abortion. The right of the line would have you believe it's morally wrong. The left would have you believe it's a woman's choice. My point of view? I believe that while it is wrong to destroy a life, I don't think a middle-age man should tell me as a woman what I should do. My stance? Keep it legal (and open to all women), but I will never use it (even in circumstances of rape, the sins of the father shouldn't fall on the child). A controversial issue, I know, but it's the only way to get my point across.

If you MUST label a "hippie", I believe they are the ones that walk on this line as much as possible. They seek balance between both sides, and try to take the good as much as possible and not forgetting the bad. We deviate, of course! It's human! I do all the time! But a real "hippie" will recognize this deviation and learn from it. But, before anyone tells me that being a centrist is 'orrible, let me remind you, there aren't many centrists in the world. That is what makes us unique. We still help get things done, we still have our strong opinions about things as you can't be in the middle ALL the time, but as long as you take peaceful and helpful tactics, you do no harm. Key wording there, Do No Harm.

So, Woodstock Child, by taking such a militant stance you are not a "hippie". You are the opposite of a hippie, and become what I am sure you "fear the most", and that is a conservative. You take too extreme of a point of view. Your message is not of love and peace, but of hate and ignorance. Let me turn to the age old hippie saying to illuminate what you are doing: "Fighting for peace is like f*cking for virginity." You fight for being a peaceful person (ergo a hippie), yet you miss the point entirely AND put a lot of people off with it.

There are a lot of hippies here at Hipforums. You need to open your eyes and see. Just because I choose to wear preppie clothing doesn't mean that I am not a hippie or selling out. Au Contraire! I just happen to enjoy the outfits and the way I feel and the way my fiance looks at me. I just don't take on the attitude that goes with the clothing (which does surprise people from time to time). Here on Hipforums you find people who take on persona's of Emo, Goth, and Punk. They might sneer at you if you call them a hippie, but they are one all the same. :D

As many have already stated. Being a "hippie" is a mindset and philosophy. Not clothing. And if you want to claim to be a hippie, that's fine, but you must start with not judging people. All human's judge, yes, but a hippie will recognize when their judgement is either A) wrong, or B) willing to accept the person regardless and not point out their flaws.

Good luck with that. I know that as a teenager everything is black and white(and it isn'). Perhaps you will grow out of it. Perhaps you won't. I'll be rooting for you, as I never want to see someone be closed off to new things.
    Namaste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.