How Come All The "hippies" Are Wearing Make-up?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Very, very well said...couldn't have said it better myself... :)

2. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Okay, you know what, I don't care anymore. My brother broke his arm yesterday, and now I'm missing the Grand Funk Railroad concert tonight. I'm missing it. Not going. Nobody cares. Nobody. I can't believe I'm having the carpet yanked from under me once again. Not again. First the Bob Dylan concert. Then the El Paso Hippiefest. Missed both. Now this. Why God? Why? Why is this happening, why now? Why? I don't nderstand why this is happening to me.

3. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

I don't think Jerry Garcia or John Lennon ever pretended they were 'hippies'[​IMG]
    They were awesome and inspiring people, but never did they pretend they were hippies ...

Hippies was a term given by the media to the counter-culture of the 60's nothing more really ...

And where is the Understanding in your post when you say : ''I also have no intention of looking like a straight-laced buisness-owner.''

Anyway, since you seem to think that you possess absolute knowledge about hippiedom ...

And i don't wear makeup [​IMG][​IMG]

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

not seeing a concert isn't the end of the world
    nor does missing a concert undermine your hippiness

Maybe people find it hard to care about what's happening to you when you go around judging everyone else based on silly things like whether or not they choose to wear makeup. Just a thought.

5. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

People can be beautiful with what they've got....some know that make-up only ENHANCES what they have.
    Since when did Britney Spears claim to be a hippie?
    People can wear make-up and still be a good person....
    Not everyone here is a hippie....but that's already been said. If the people here want to wear make-up, that's their choice. They're going against a stereotype that people like you give people like them.
    Remember Woodstock? You weren't even AT Woodstock....how can you remember it? A little film about it isn't going to give you the experience.
    Wanted to be different and refuse standards....but YOU say hippies don't wear make-up....that's a standard.

I happen to like wearing make-up. I think it draws attention to the parts of me that I want attention drawn to. I like my eyes and the color of them....I dress them up so people look at them all the time.
    Britney Spears isn't a bad looking woman. I like her make-up and think it looks good on her.

Maybe you should start living for yourself and not the 1960's. They're gone....never coming back. It's tough to stomach for you, I'm sure....but you can do it.

Oh, boo hoo. You're missing a concert because your BROTHER broke his arm....you should be concerned with him instead of the concert.
    You're into the whole 'hippie' standard....they're about love and care, right....they wouldn't bitch about not seeing GFR because a beloved family member was hurt.
    It didn't happen to you....it happened to your brother.

Grow up.

6. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Sus-
    Thanks!

Woodstock- Missing a concert isn't the end of the world. It's upsetting, I was supposed to go to Earthfest in Boston, but circumstances beyond my control wouldn't allow for me to go. I didn't get all down in the dumps about it, I just found something better to do. Got tea with my best friend. Turned out to be better.

Perhaps this situation occured to help you learn sensitivity? Your brother is going to need your compassion and understanding right now. It's time to put the peace and love that you crave from the era of Woodstock into action. It could be the first step in your revolution. :) Seriously, I am not being facetious. It all starts at home and on a small scale. :D

7. stebo32

stebo32 amanita monster

lol woodkstock child, stop trying to follow the hippie movement so bad and try being yourself...

8. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

Well said Kayleigh :)

9. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Selling out could be defined as conforming to a label. I.e., you have sold out to being a hippie. Let me share a story with you I hope you read because, honestly, you remind me a lot of me.

When I first got into the whole hippie thing, I was full force into it. I made bell bottoms and wore them along with tie-dye all the time, and all that stuff. First, I realized how aweful the bell bottoms looked on me (they were really tight on the thighs, very femminine looking, and I regret wearing them for that reason. But oh well, what can ya do?) so I sort of backed down out of the fashion quite as much. To the point were I was recognizeable as a hippie, but people didn't constantly stare at me behind my back. And now, I have realised I can have my politics (which is really what is it about, beleifs, acceptance of others and politics) and dress however I want. Since I have done that, I no longer have the need to use all natural toothpaste, or smell like patchouli, and I feel I can wear hair styling stuff if I want to. I feel that being a hippie on the inside allows me to do whatever the fuck I want on the outside. So who gives a shit if I "sell out"? If I am doing what I want to, it isn't selling out. If she wants to wear preppy clothes because she wants to, then she isn't selling out. However, if she wore hippie clothes just to be a hippie, then she is selling out. She is not doing what she wants for her own reasons thus it is selling out.

Being a hippie is about accepting others. You cary a lot of negative vibes about others. A little advice- DON'T! You will only hurt yourself. You will also miss out on meeting some awesome people!

10. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

You will miss a lot more concerts than you get to see. In the past maybe three months I have planned on going to, but have not been able to get tickets for:

Dave Matthews band, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Yonder Mountain String Band and Bob Dylan (who for some God only knows reason was touring with MEARL HAGGARD?!?!?!). You know what though, IT DOESN'T MATTER! Yeah, it wouldve been cool to go to those shows, but I didn't. Well, okay then. Not the end of the world.

Here is the deal: Your brother needs comfort now. Your brother needs your love. His arm is broken, that will plauge him for 6 or more weeks. You just for one night.

11. WoodstockChild

Missed Bob Dylan too. Rock bottom. Now. God. You don't understand.

12. spooner

spooner is done.

I personally enjoy it when the women around me look less ugly than nature intended.

13. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

Telling yourself to be a hippie to just be a hippie cuse it's cool is just as bad as telling yourself to shop at ambercrombie and finch so you can fit in with the far left lunch table.

14. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

15. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Here here.
    Sorry about the bellbottoms though. :D I don't rock them very well either.

16. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Yeah, for a guy, tight pants are bad enough, let a lone at the time I wore fairly loose fitting shirts. This gave me an odd shape, even odder than normal. I have pictures of this, but will not share them. :D

17. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i didn't read past the second page because i have all this fresh in my mind and want to get it out now... so i'm sorry

hippies are nice, above all. telling people they look plastic or otherwise insulting them, because they choose to decorate their bodies, is not nice. i was personally offended, because i wear eye makeup and it is DEFINATELY not a "mask". it's fun. you want to be naked, let your hair do what it wants, have no piercings, no tattoos, no jewlery, no makeup... that's cool. that's awesome. it's beautiful. but covering yourself with art is fun, it's a way to express your creativity. i would rather wear pink faux fur pants, giant fairy wings, cover myself with glitter, and paint my whole face with flowers and peace signs than be naked with clean skin and natural hair... just because it's more interesting.

now i'm gonna go back and read the rest of the pages i skipped... because i feel bad... i'm sure some people wrote some great things that i shouldn't overlook :).

18. prismatism

prismatism loves you

okay i just read them and i have more to say:

woodstockchild... i mean this in the nicest of ways... i hope something really bad happens to you. so you can be happy and stop fucking whining. maybe go to a hospital and see the people lying in the uncomfortable plastic beds, knowing how close they are to death. somehow, you need to see what real pain is. it's not seeing people in makeup or missing a concert or having all the people who have posted here so far pissed at you. those aren't worth even frowning about.

i'm not trying to get your sympathy or anything, but i have been raped, and watched my father die in front of me. i've had panic attacks where i've ran through the street screaming at the top of my lungs. i've had psychotic episodes in school where the walls and ground moved around me and i felt so cut off from reality that i wanted to do nothing but curl into the tiniest little ball and stay there until it went away. PLEASE don't think i'm trying to make you feel sorry for me. i'm not. feeling sorry is a waste of energy. but when you experience something really bad, you'll realize that this fussing is just fucking ridiculous. who CARES what someone else is doing? it doesn't even fucking effect you. work on yourself. don't bother with what other people are doing. ENJOY YOUR FUCKING LIFE, BECAUSE IT COULD END AT ANY SECOND. do you really want to spend all your time on this planet bitching and moaning?

19. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Seems a "sellout" is what this thread starter wishes to support. Anyoe who demands the high price of current day concert tickets to fund the megamillion lifestyle they live are SELLOUTS! The Beattles in my view are SELLOUTS! They formed a corporation, made so much money that they could have supported a small country, have continued royalties and all they can think of is trying to aquire more.

Hippies came from all walks of life and acted in different ways. Some just spoiled rich kids wanting to rebel from thier parents but not enough to wish to cut off that support. Some left the world as we know it and lived a simple peaceful self productive life. Some lived off of others being nothing more than lazy bums. Some are owners of businesses today and contribute nothing, some donate till they have almost nothing.

I dont wish to be labeled either way, Im just a guy, I drive a truck, I help out others when I can, other than certain violent destructive criminal acts I dont condem anyones lifestyle or chioces. I come here to relax, talk to some funny, interesting, intelligent and even some annoying people. Does it make me a hippy or not? I dont know and dont care, was never my project to want to be accepted and or label'd by anyone.

As for Woodstock, I think a person needs to really look deeper into the event, was not all harmony and free and lovely. There are reasons it was so great yes but alot had to do with timming, the events and well what would be accepted and not.

Its great to have a view and a goal, may you find it, achieve it and feel better for it. As for me, well I will likely continue to polute the air with a truck, deliver modern medicine, consumer goods, ect to all the people of this land and some intended for far away of places. I hope the little efforts I make in this world have some sort of impact on others, may I never get so vain to stop. I hope I never loose the ability for people to feel Im safe, approachable so that I may lend a hand, an ear or whatever it is I may offer to make a life a but better. I dont get high or drink, have done so, I do not knock it just no longer interested in doing it. Does all this make me a hippie or not, well I was never looking to be one, or anything to anyone other than just a friend.

I shall wish at a tender age of 15 you keep that fire burning you have, find a productive way to accomplish your dreams and dont allow others to blow your candle out of dreams, but also grant you the wisdom to avoid believing that a person who does not conform to a few aspects of your ideas is no longer at all what you would label a hippie. Stay strong there little one, forge your path, and enjoy life.

20. WoodstockChild

So... if President Bush is quote "living his life the way he wants to", he's a hippie? Then what's a hippie? Nothing's clear anymore. I'm confused. So everyone is hippies becase they live how they want? My brain is in knots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.