How Come All The "hippies" Are Wearing Make-up?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

yep and insulting my spelling is definitely how to prove to me that you are a mature person
    just because you can spell better than a 'six-year-old' as you so eloquently put, doesn't mean you can act better than a six-year-old
    just honestly relax, it's not the end of the world if someone wants to look like britney spears
    if you want to complain about something, complain about people like rumsfeld, gates and trump, bush and cheney
    people who actually have more impact on the world than spears, or wanna be britneys

2. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

Not everyone who wears make-up does it because they think they're ugly without it or feel pressured by society to do it. You can't judge everyone by a handful of people you know.

3. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

Hey WoodstockChild, When I first became introduced to Rock N´Roll, the Woodstock festival and the whole idea about the Hippie life style I completely fell in love with it (17 years old), wore the clothes the long hair, read Tomothy Leary books was completely against who was not like me... I am now 22 years old, I have matured a lot... I have just begun a carrer in a Chinese Multinational Technology coprporation (I could not care less if it goes against Hippie beliefs, im in for the cash) I have cut the hair (the side burns are still here) still listen to rock n´roll which is my passion and wear a shirt and tie to work, inside I still don´t desire the un necessary material things I work so that one day I can buy my own house or appartment and believe me... beeing who I was years ago was getting me getting no where !!
    So what I am trying to tell you is that in the past I thought I was going to be a typical Hippie from head to toes for life but I matured and I could not be more happy, The same will probably happen to you !! To tell you the truth Im happy I cut the hair its too much work for me, but inside im the same... got it ?? You can be the same person and still look sharper on the outside, in my opinion it´s more inteligent !!

4. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

To complement my post.... frankly im happy there are people out there willing to spend US$ 300 on jeans.... I find it amusing to look at these people and feel so good about the person who I am, who spends his money in an intelligent way and don´t fall in advertising traps man !!!!!
    I tell you I have more fun spending a couple of bucks on acid to trip with my friends than spend huge ammounts of cash in a night club.... If tou think about it people like that fuel the economy and create millions of jobs hahahhaa there you go a positive side of those big spenders !!!

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

No, little girl, you had a string of suppositions not based on historical or cultural fact. You were being narrow minded in that you were taking ONE filmed image and expanding it to the entire culture.
    Bad debate strategy.
    I appreciate your be different/ against the grain concept, but not your "if you don't do A then you cannot be a hippy" theorizing.

face paint, in all its guises was big. Freakdom was theatrical, and make up was often (not always) applied with the stage of the street in mind.
    Of course, make up was also a luxury that crash pads did not support.
    more likely the freak girls who could afford it (or stole it) were wearing either outrageous make up (jar the straights) or starting in on what became the 70s natural look, whick makes comebacks with some regularity.
    What was different was the beginning with the back to the land movement, of the go natural. this was answered in a couple of ways, predominately: thehnatural cosmetics industry and the ridse of less to no make up.

I'm particularly offended by your title. not ALL self-identified hippies wear makeup, and I'm only thinking of the females here.
    I haven't worn paint on a regular basis since I was 16. I stopped owning it in 1995, in my mid 20s (I kept an "interview kit" for some years, but discovered it was so rarely needed that the stuff would go off.
    So, although I'm a self identified freak and externally identified hippy, your title says if I DON'T wear it, I'm not a hippy by your definition, becasue all the hippies are doing this. (and wouldn't it be all the female hippies?)

you fling labels the way macaques fling poop.
    you say that everyone is (not is behaving/thinking) narrow-minded.
    So are you. Your posting is riddled with snap judgements that appear ill-thought out.

However, your posting shows a capacity of drawing conclusions from historical records. A capacity that with a bit more thinking, could become very insightful and possibly link actions to causes.
    If you get over the label, you could be a good sociologist.

baby, they name streets after your thinking right now: narrow and one way.
    Change yourself for your own betterment.
    Quit worrying what others do. that's still being invested in the greater culture.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

that's only partially correct. the concert was a social phenomenon, but to say every action/thought in that point in time was 100 percent hippy, is not allowing for the curious and those simply into the music.
    Not everyone who will be at Bonnaroo or High Sierra, of even the touring family is all "hippy."
    Not even all the folks who will come to Colorado for the gathering will be "hippy."
    in 96, we had gutterpunks camped in the path next to our outer Kid village spot (Shanti Sena moved the tent with them in it). I see people that are closer to cowboy at Rainbow. The Krishnas definitely consider themselves different (the godbuzz will do that) and the UFO freaks are not very hippie in what they believe. But they all tolerate each other, which is the point.

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I read your post. TWICE in fact. So what is your beef?

Do you even have a specific definition or concept as to what make up IS?

make·up or make-up (noun)
    Cosmetics applied especially to the face.
    Materials, such as cosmetics and costumes, that an actor or actress uses in portraying a role.

cos·met·ic (noun)
    A preparation, such as powder or a skin cream, designed to beautify the body by direct application.
    Something superficial that is used to cover a deficiency or defect.

I suffer from psoriasis. If I scratch it, the rough outer surface will tear off and bleed. I choose to use tar based medication which might be offensive to some folks. I cover it up with a cosmetic that also alters the color.

So are you saying that it's okay to use bees' wax on your lips, but not an emolient that adds color. Aren't hippies all about color anyway? Wouldn't make up/cosmetics BE a hippie thing then? What about the hippie who is born with natural pale skin or skin blotching? Is he or she not allowed to enhance the natural beauty?

And who said that hippies were supposed to go against popular belief? There's PLENTY of popular belief that I as a hippie agree with. I believe that it's more important to leave a newborn baby with the police or a hospital rather than in a dumpster. I believe it's important to keep drug dealers away from school yards. I believe it's important to wash your hands regularly with clean water and soap.

And yes, there are many things that lots of people don't believe that I do believe in. Like leaving the planet cleaner than the way you found it. Like recycling, like growing my own vegetables.

And lastly

I think this is frightingly naïve! The hippies ran around naked because they were hopped up on drugs and because everyone else was doing it. It's called herding instinct.

But then again, hey! It's just MY opinion :)

8. sitareric

sitareric Banned

I think its true that everything you need you already have..

but, I think its cool to be open about anothers choices, even though it might reflect some unnatural insecurty based around Californias view of beauty..

I dont think theres any need to worry, respect other peoples choices. be postive.

Everything you need to be beautiful you have already, thats my thing..
    you know, truly embody yourself.

And also there is a little thing called "living in the world, but not of the world"

and many people follow this ideology. seriously. think abou tit.. use your brain1!! YOUR BRAIN!!!!

9. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

woodstockchild, i think youre getting too hung up on the stereotype of hippies. Let others do as they please, and you do what makes you happy, if that means not wearing make up then sure. I know how you feel when you talk about the materialistic social cats, you know the girls who have everythin they want and more, i know alot of them and it drives me nuts sometimes when i cant make them see beauty in other forms, but youve just got to let them do their thing, and know that you possess something they dont.

Its all groovy ;P

10. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

I wear a little make-up it makes me feel better

I think its a good thing to do - you could say how come all hippies drive cars, how come all hippies dont have dreads - get what i mean, I bet you will change your mind - I didnt start wearing it until about 2 yrs ago lol

11. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Woodstockchild,
    I am surprised! Honey, your mentality about hippies and makeup is very closed-minded. I am not going to attack you, or yell at you about it. I first realized I was a hippie when I was a year younger than you, I'll admit, the fervor of finally having something to identify to took over me. Baggy, ratty clothing...my mother was ashamed to let me out of the house for a couple of years ;). I even wore black December 8th and refused to listen to anything but the Beatles.

And then I got bored.
    I got bored with the ratty clothes, and developed a crush on a boy in my Spanish class. I realized that my way of dressing and acting wasn't going to get his attention. I started dressing preppie. He turned out to be a jerk, but I like the feeling I got from dressing nicely. My style has slowly evolved into a hybrid of hippie and preppie, depending on what the situation is. I am more comfortable in my hippie clothes and scents :)D Patchouli!). It's all about balance. If you lean too much in one direction, you run the danger of becoming what you hate. It will quickly turn people off to your message.

So if you ignore everything I said, please don't ignore this: Be calm. Be patient. Be gentle. Be balanced. Be Peace.
    You will find that many of your hero's (John Lennon is a good one btw) had this point of view.

By the way! I was in Woodstock last wednesday. I love that town, it's so nice. I hope you have had a chance to visit it. I hope to go back soon.

~Peace

12. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Soooooo you sold out? I have no intention of becoming a sell-out. I think that's one of the lowest things a person can do. I wear black on December 8th for respect to John. God. I hope I don't end up a sell-out like that.

13. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

I also have no intention of looking like a straight-laced buisness-owner. What would have happened if John Lennon or Jerry Garcia said "Hmmmm... I don't want to be a hippie anymore" We wold've all been in trouble.

14. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

I'm a David Bowie fan.........................

15. Shambhala Peace

Wow.
    I in no way, shape or form a sell out.
    Selling out would be denying my being a Hippie. Selling out would be giving into the close-minded mindset. Selling out would be not being myself.

Just because I choose to dress preppie every once in a while doesn't mean I am not a true hippie.

*sigh*

Besides. Who died and made you the hippie police?
    I was going to go about this nicely, but you have tried my patience with your temper tantrum.

16. Shambhala Peace

:D

17. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I wear makeup to hide the liver spots

18. Pool Shark

Pool Shark Member

You claim to be a hippy?

I think you are mistaken. Hippy ideals include freedom to be oneself, believing in the better good, allowing people to do as they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

I wear makeup, I don't wear baggy clothes, I don't own a mexican saddle blanket or the Beatles #1 Album. But I do believe in freedom and liberty, and being true to yourself. I believe in the freedom music has, and the genius of peace. Hell, I'll even take a barefoot stroll everyonce in a while. Does that makes me a "sell out" or a "poser"?

Hippy is a hippy does.

19. stick

stick Member

You said that we who are disagreeing with you are being narrow minded, but I think that you're being narrow minded about all of this. You say you want it to be how it used to be and I understand that, but there are many people out there who want hippies to die and have everyone be a 'prep'. Everyone wants different things and I don't disagree with wanting it to be how it used to be, but make up really isn't that big of a deal.

20. Elle

Elle Senior Member

maybe when youre older and wiser you will realize that there are no such thing as "hippies". Just people. We are all just people. You putting labels on people like that just shows your immaturity, boxes people in and seperates them. The counter culture obviously had a grand effect on times and the word "hippie" was a label created by media. It was origionaly meant as a degragutory word.

excuse me, i need to go change into my tie dye shirt, wipe off my makeup, and smoke a joint. i feel like being a hippie today and hippies don't wear makeup.........EVER.:rolleyes:

infact, when i go to my corporate office job during the day i wear makeup, business outfits, do my hair all nice, and present myself as a proffesional. then when i get home i wipe off the makeup, change into my ripped jeans and my birks, and start working on my animal rights letters or what have you. so does that mean i'm only half a hippie? your idea of what it means to be a hippie is pretty warped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.